What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport EX Back Up Battery?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I have a single GRT Sport EX and am thinking I may need some type of back up battery for it. I will be VFR only and use an iPad with one of the apps.

What have others done for a back up battery for the GRT Sport?

Thanks,
John

I have a GRT Horizon 10.1 that draws a maximum of 2 amps. I have an 8 amp hour sealed lead acid Duracell I bought at Batteries Plus - about twice the capacity that I really needed to be used as a backup and to prevent brownout during engine start. It is connected into the wiring diagram through a Schottky diode. There are a couple other small draw items on the aux battery bus as well.

Depends on why

I have a single GRT Sport EX and am thinking I may need some type of back up battery for it. I will be VFR only and use an iPad with one of the apps. ...
Hi John, depends on why you feel you need a backup battery. In case the main dies? So it does not "brown out" when starting? For me it was the latter, but I bought the IBBS referenced above. If I were doing it today, I'd use their brownout protection https://www.tcwtech.com/IPS_12v_intelligent_power_stabilizer.html

Thanks for the replies and links.

My thoughts that I would need a backup battery due to only having one EFIS. However, if the alternator goes out the main battery is good for a while if the load is shed; enough to land. The iPad would have navigation also without a backup battery.

Brown -Out. This is something I had not considered. Does this keep the EFIS up during the cranking due to the draw from the starter?

Thanks again.

John

brown out

Brown -Out. This is something I had not considered. Does this keep the EFIS up during the cranking due to the draw from the starter? ...
Either a backup battery or stabilizer will keep the EFIS from rebooting when you start the engine. I like this since I have oil pressure in the EIS 4000 and EFIS, and have both connected to the backup battery.

I am assuming the stabilizer does not provide any power to the Avionics if the alternator goes out and the main battery dies?

Would a backup battery both work to prevent brown out during starting and provide power if Alt and main Bat fails?

Any lower cost batteries other than the IBBS one in the link above?

Thanks,
John

cheaper

Any lower cost batteries other than the IBBS one in the link above?

Thanks,
John
Probably all other options are lower cost than the IBBS, if you feel comfortable rolling your own. Scott offered one option. There's not much magic here - just need to supply about 12v to the EFIS on one of the two power inputs. You also need to ensure that the backup battery gets charged. If you are comfortable with this kind of thing, then you can do it yourself for about 1/10 of the cost of an IBBS.

Back