What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 rudder

dreed

Well Known Member
Dumb question, but about to move the fuse to the painter. I have the RV-8 rudder from my original emp kit that I complected years ago (minus glass).

Is the glass fairings/tip of the VS the same for both the 7/9 rudder and the 8 rudder so you could swap rudders only?

My thought is if I getting it painted, I might as well get the 8 rudder painted too so I could swap later if ever interested.

Thanks!

I can attest that the fairing for the vertical stabilizer is not the same on the eight as it is on the seven or nine,,, I’m currently replacing my VS and Rudder on my 6 with an 8 vs & rudder,, so my 7 project is suffering a bit of a setback !

Even though the 8 rudder will work just fine in conjunction with the 7 vertical stabilizer, the fiberglass pieces and the counterweight are different between the two. So basically, you can?t just easily swap one for the other. I?m installing the 8 rudder on my 7 build, so I can tell you the fiberglass is definitely different.

Thanks all- bummer on the VS glass being different. I am sure I have the old VS glass in a box somewhere. One more project I guess.

You can make them swappable . . .

The VS top glass is specific to each rudder, but can swapped. Also, the front swing for the tall/7/9 rudder is just a touch longer so the VS will need a little extra trimming of the aluminum. At least mine was. I have made the VS tips attach via screws to facilitate a swap.

Thanks all. Would I be crazy to just make a 2nd VS and have a VS/8 Rudder combination?

VS is pretty quick to make, not hard to swap

Dumb idea?

Last edited:
Agree -- go with the -8 rudder and associated VS-809 for the Vertical stab. You won't regret it.

Thanks Guys- problem is I have the VS glass on (for the 9 rudder) and wasn't smart enough to attach with screws, I'll take a look next week when I return from a work trip to see how easily I could revert to the screws to I could do a full swap.

Should have thought of this sooner :-(

Back