What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone question

aviti

I've got the empennage done and getting ready to start the tail cone. Does anyone know if I can fit the tail cone through a 36" doorway if the vertical and horizontal stabs aren't mounted yet? I'd like to stay in my basement with the build as much as possible.

I think it is slightly more than 36" wide.. but I will measure for you when I get to the hangar later (6pm edt).

I was able to easily get mine through a 36" doorway but it was a straight shot on both sides of the doorway - I didn't have to make any turns.

I measured mine and got 39 1/2 inches wide at the top of the F-1280 skins where the built-in J-stiffeners are located. Height is about 33 inches, so if you turned it sideways, it could probably fit through a 36-inch doorway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I have a straight shot out my basement workshop door so it sounds like I'll be good. I was already thinking that turning it sideways would be the way to go. I really appreciate you guys checking.

If the door only opens 90 degrees, you?ll likely need to remove it from the hinges, like I had to do.

Back