What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready for winter flying

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Getting ready for cold weather flying - oil shutter installed to keep engine temps up at -10

oct 18. sutter.jpg

Installed seat heaters for me - keep my temps up!

oct 18 seat heater.jpg

We had a temperature record yesterday (Netherlands / latitude 52N ) for the 14th of October; around 25?C/77?F and you're starting the winter flying thread?😉

Any information about your seat heating (brand/Amps)?

Regards, Joeri

Engine preheater?

I feel your pain, it got down to near 60F last night here! Do you have an engine preheater? I put on an oil sump heater last year. Its nice to have your engine at 90F before starting.

We had a temperature record yesterday (Netherlands / latitude 52N ) for the 14th of October; around 25?C/77?F and you're starting the winter flying thread?😉

Any information about your seat heating (brand/Amps)?

Regards, Joeri

3.5 amps per seat
Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit

Bottom cowl removal

Does this shutter make removing the lower cowl a pain? I assume you must disconnect and remove the shutter. What about the cable? do you have to thread it through the cowl each time?

29 degrees Monday morning here when I went flying. I installed an oil cooler shutter but not the Bowden cable. Basically wire it full open for summer and full closed for winter. Last winter I plugged in my Reiff oil Sump Heater on November 1st. and left it on until March 1st. (fly every week or two). I also use a cowl blanket in between uses. It maintains an oil / case temp in the mid 90?s. Even down to -40 F. Keeps the whole front end warm. On cold days I also throw a milk house heater in the cockpit while I do my preflight. Darn thing starts up smoother in January than it does in June!

Back