What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

21-02 step 6, AD-9 Rivets

Hello. On the RV-12iS fuselage kit, on page 21-02, step 6, I am having a problem with the AD-9 rivets that are used to attach the F-012224 floors to F-01204D-1. I am using the Main Squeeze and it seems to be too thick to reach these rivets. I looked at the Avery Hand Squeezer at Cleveland Tools but they did not think that would be any better. How did you guys set these rivets? Thanks.
Regards,
Damien Graham
Watertown, NY

Hello. On the RV-12iS fuselage kit, on page 21-02, step 6, I am having a problem with the AD-9 rivets that are used to attach the F-012224 floors to F-01204D-1. I am using the Main Squeeze and it seems to be too thick to reach these rivets. I looked at the Avery Hand Squeezer at Cleveland Tools but they did not think that would be any better. How did you guys set these rivets? Thanks.
Regards,
Damien Graham
Watertown, NY

One option is to use a flush (flat) rivet set against the manufactured head of the rivet instead of the typical cupped set.
It is totally acceptable and documented in the MIL Spec for installing rivets (I think it is mentioned in section 5 of the manual as well, but I am not sure).
This will allow the rivet sets to be positioned slightly off the center of the rivet
and will improve access for use of a rivet squeezer.

Hello. On the RV-12iS fuselage kit, on page 21-02, step 6, I am having a problem with the AD-9 rivets that are used to attach the F-012224 floors to F-01204D-1. <snip>
Regards,
Damien Graham
Watertown, NY

Damian,
Riveting the F-01224 floor panels to the F-001204D is indeed a difficult task to accomplish with a "Main Squeeze" or any other brand hand squeezer. The best/correct tool for this job is an "alligator" squeezer which will produce beautiful results without having to fight with the floor panels for tool clearance. If you can beg/borrow an "alligator" squeezer for 10 minutes, you're home free. If not, Scott's recommendation is the best alternative.

Thanks Scott and Ernie. I might have a lead on an alligator squeezer that I can borrow. If not then I will use Scott?s recommendation.
Regards,
Damien

Coincidentally, I just started on page 21-02 today, but this was where I stopped for the day. The last sentence in step 6 of my manual (revision date 09/18/17) says "Use two thin flush sets in a hand squeezer and apply tape to the squeezer to prevent scratching the baggage floors."

Back