What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernier-Assist Throttle for RV-12

Anyone have experience with the 912/914 Vernier-Assist throttle control for the RV-12, available from A/C Spruce? If so, what size is appropriate as a replacement for the stock "creeper" throttle control?

Thanx,

Mike Clark
N712WE

Anyone have experience with the 912/914 Vernier-Assist throttle control for the RV-12, available from A/C Spruce? If so, what size is appropriate as a replacement for the stock "creeper" throttle control?

Thanx,

Mike Clark
N712WE

I installed one bought directly from McFarlane. Van's sells them also. Pricey, not hard to install, and worth every penny. I've had NO throttle creep whatsoever since installing it, and power adjustments are effortless.

This is nothing like the pushbutton-release vernier cables found on typical production airplanes. You just push or pull like a normal throttle, there's really no difference except that you don't have to crank the friction so tight it's hard to move. For fine adjustments, just twist. Effortless.

Just one guy's opinion.

Couldn?t agree more - vastly superior to the original. You can make small changes by twisting the knob (vernier assist) but it is so easy to use I seldom use that feature.

Jack

Couldn?t agree more - vastly superior to the original. You can make small changes by twisting the knob (vernier assist) but it is so easy to use I seldom use that feature.

Jack
Don't even THINK about any formation flying with a vernier throttle. Also, I find micro throttle adjustments on landing any aircraft difficult with a vernier throttle. Food for thought.

Don't even THINK about any formation flying with a vernier throttle. Also, I find micro throttle adjustments on landing any aircraft difficult with a vernier throttle. Food for thought.
As stated, this is NOTHING AT ALL like a typical vernier throttle. Does not operate the same way at all. There would be no difference whatsoever flying with this or a regular throttle cable.

As stated, this is NOTHING AT ALL like a typical vernier throttle. Does not operate the same way at all. There would be no difference whatsoever flying with this or a regular throttle cable.

That is correct, and as you stated they are specifically referred to as ?vernier assist?. It?s the best throttle cable you can buy.

Mark

Id like to do formation and Ive been wondering about if the McFarlane "vernier assist" is still considered vernier for formation because it uses the forbidden word, or if the guys have actually figured out that its not the same as the hated production version........???????? Maybe it should be called "twist assist" instead...???

Last edited:
I installed one bought directly from McFarlane. Van's sells them also. Pricey, not hard to install, and worth every penny. I've had NO throttle creep whatsoever since installing it, and power adjustments are effortless.

This is nothing like the pushbutton-release vernier cables found on typical production airplanes. You just push or pull like a normal throttle, there's really no difference except that you don't have to crank the friction so tight it's hard to move. For fine adjustments, just twist. Effortless.

Just one guy's opinion.

Great... but Van's catalog only sez:
VERNIER THROTTLE-12 CT THROTTLE CABLE-12V

If it is the McFarlane "vernier-assist" version, its certainly lacks that important detail. I'll give them a call next week for confirmation.

Thanx,

Mike

Great... but Van's catalog only sez:
VERNIER THROTTLE-12 CT THROTTLE CABLE-12V

If it is the McFarlane "vernier-assist" version, its certainly lacks that important detail. I'll give them a call next week for confirmation.

Thanx,

Mike

If Vans doesn?t have the ?vernier-assist? you can order it directly from McFarlane.

Mark

Bought mine directly from McFarlane. Good folks. At the time 10% off for EAA members. Soooo glad to get rid of “the creeper”. May be less of an issue now with latest return Springs.

I bought mine from Vans and it is the McFarlane product. Price was $215 a couple years ago.

Mitch Garner
N2ET

Thanks for pointing that out Dale, sorry for assuming. Is throttle creep a problem with the fuel injected iS, or only the ULS?

I'm building a 7 and have been looking at the vernier assist cables and have been wondering about formation flying. I have flown and didn't like the old pushbutton vernier throttle. Randy, have you looked at the https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/vernier-assist-controls/ type cables and do you think that would be accepted at a FAST course?

Brian
Brian, I don't know. I've never had chance to put my hands on one, but the McFarlane site says "Coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards. Fine adjustments are made by rotating the knob clockwise or counterclockwise." When formation flying you will be making constant fine adjustments so if this throttle impairs that ability in any way then it would not likely be allowed.

Personal opinion: over the years I've learned that the throttle is your friend in landing any small aircraft in that you can make tiny little adjustments on short final to adjust your glidepath and touchdown point while still carefully managing your energy so as to not extend your rollout. I've found throttle micromanagement even more useful in the roundout and flare where tiny little adjustments can make all the difference between a smooth and short touchdown versus dropping in our floating way down the runway once you learn to use it. I discovered this while flying quite a range of aircraft from RVs to Cubs to Bonanzas.

Just my own opinion and technique, YMMV.

The Mcfarlane throttle feels no different than any friction push/pull throttle. The friction is adjustable. When there is any friction set, twisting the knob makes fine adjustments. I have one in my Rotax powered airplane (Rans S19) and there will be one in my current project RV9.

Brian, I don't know. I've never had chance to put my hands on one, but the McFarlane site says "Coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards. Fine adjustments are made by rotating the knob clockwise or counterclockwise." When formation flying you will be making constant fine adjustments so if this throttle impairs that ability in any way then it would not likely be allowed.

Personal opinion: over the years I've learned that the throttle is your friend in landing any small aircraft in that you can make tiny little adjustments on short final to adjust your glidepath and touchdown point while still carefully managing your energy so as to not extend your rollout. I've found throttle micromanagement even more useful in the roundout and flare where tiny little adjustments can make all the difference between a smooth and short touchdown versus dropping in our floating way down the runway once you learn to use it. I discovered this while flying quite a range of aircraft from RVs to Cubs to Bonanzas.

Just my own opinion and technique, YMMV.

I haven?t installed one ?yet? in the -7 that I?m building, but I can tell you it?s definitely the one I?m going with. I did get to play around with the vernier assist a little bit while I was at Oshkosh this year and I can tell you it?s as smooth as butter. I think when the say that ?coarse adjustments are made by pushing the knob inwards or pulling the knob outwards? may not be the best description. It?s as smooth as any standard throttle cable with the locking nut and I don?t think you?d have any problem making those fine power adjustments on landing as you described. I just think that this throttle cable gives you the best of both worlds without any compromise.

Mark

The Mcfarlane throttle feels no different than any friction push/pull throttle. The friction is adjustable. When there is any friction set, twisting the knob makes fine adjustments. I have one in my Rotax powered airplane (Rans S19) and there will be one in my current project RV9.
There we have it, thanks for the confirmation!

Hey Randy,
Any better recommendations over the stock quadrant in the -8 (2 lever)?

And, looks like your signature could use some updating. :)
You in Seattle now?

Cheers!

Back