What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12is and RV-12isT

Top Cat

Well Known Member
What is the difference between the -iS model and the -iST?

What is the price of the new SLSA and options?

Does anyone know? Couldn?t find it on the Vans site.

On an excuse for a x-country parts run to Aurora earlier this week, as I walked past Van's open factory hangar, I saw the demo RV-12iST and had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman named Dick as he sat on its pilot-side wing root. He asked where we had flown in from and how long I have had my -12, then pointed to his rather spartan D-180 era RV-12 directly in front of the hangar door. He told me it has been his reliable daily commuter for years, but he has started RV-12iS build project as its replacement. (He claimed no favorite RV, but...)

Regarding the RV-12iST he explained there is no structural or performance difference between the models. Rather, it is aimed at flight schools as a low-cost primary trainer platform and focuses on avionics suite standards that support formal instrument training. The demo has dual Garmins, but being a Dynon advocate since D-180 thru the HDX, I do not know which model and didn't ask...

Mike Clark
N712WE

On an excuse for a x-country parts run to Aurora earlier this week, as I walked past Van's open factory hangar, I saw the demo RV-12iST and had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman named Dick as he sat on its pilot-side wing root. He asked where we had flown in from and how long I have had my -12, then pointed to his rather spartan D-180 era RV-12 directly in front of the hangar door. He told me it has been his reliable daily commuter for years, but he has started RV-12iS build project as its replacement. (He claimed no favorite RV, but...)

Regarding the RV-12iST he explained there is no structural or performance difference between the models. Rather, it is aimed at flight schools as a low-cost primary trainer platform and focuses on avionics suite standards that support formal instrument training. The demo has dual Garmins, but being a Dynon advocate since D-180 thru the HDX, I do not know which model and didn't ask...

Mike Clark
N712WE
Hope you know who it was you were talking to. :)

so can the iST actually file IFR and fly in IMC? or is it only capable of doing practice approaches (ie. VFR flight with a safety pilot/instructor)?

I guess this has me thinking about finally biting the bullet and doing IFR training.. and whether i?ll actually be able to fly ifr eith this bird after the rating.

Back