What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 vs RV-8A

markserbu

I've been looking for an RV-8A and they're apparently very rare...everyone seems to prefer the RV-8. Any idea why the tail-dragger version is so much more popular? Thanks!

Cool

-8 looks better - but with my -8A I don't have serious issues with Eastern Sierra crosswinds. The -8A seems comfortable up to at least 15 kts.

I started building an RV-8A before I had a pilot?s license. During the build I started flying a Cessna 150 coverted to tail dragger (Texas Taildragger, a horrible airplane). Before the RV-8A first flight I flew an RV-6 with a buddy for a few hours as the insurance company wanted me to have ?RV time?. I was amazed at how easy the plane was to fly compared to the Texas Taildragger.

That was 16 years ago. The RV-8A got sold when I built the RV-10. The RV-10 got sold and I?m perhaps 6 months away from flying the new RV-8 project. So to your question:
- I built the RV-8A because people told me the RV-8 would be too hard for me to fly. They were wrong.
- I?m building the RV-8 because there is no sexier looking plane out there and I want an even bigger RV grin.
- The RV-8 will run you perhaps $200 a year higher for insurance, depending on your tailwheel time.
- The RV-8 is not the plane to teach someone to fly a tail dragger - too hard to fly from the back seat.
- I had no issue with a 25 knot crosswind in the RV-8A. I?ll need more time flying my current borrowed RV-8 before I can say the same for hte RV-8.

Both fly the same when off the runway. Both planes are wonderful. You decide what you want.

Carl

Build/buy what you want and are comfortable flying. Flying a tail wheel isn't hard provided you get some good instruction. I learned to fly in a J-3. I also flew a Citabria for several years before buying an tw 8. The transition wasn't a problem. The 8's are better looking IMO, but you won't know once you are off the ground! I don't have any problems with reasonable cross winds in my tail wheel -8. I know of an 8a for sale in New Hampshire. If you are interested, send me an email.

Any idea why the tail-dragger version is so much more popular? Thanks!

Because the tandem and side-by-side models appeal to different types of pilots. Those who prefer tandem centerline seating are much more likely to come from a tailwheel background, since there are few non-military tandem seat trikes out there. Centerline seating is just sportier and tailwheel fits that mission better. Those who prefer side-by-side seating are more likely to be accustomed to the Cessna or Piper trikes that they trained in, and may have never touched a tailwheel, hence the vastly larger percentage of trike 6/7/9's compared to the 8.

I've been looking for an RV-8A and they're apparently very rare...everyone seems to prefer the RV-8. Any idea why the tail-dragger version is so much more popular? Thanks!

Mark Serbu of BFG-50 fame? I had one of those, wish I'd never sold it :D

Anyway, it's a fairly small pool to draw from, so I think there's an ebb and flow to what's for sale at any given time - when I was looking almost 2 years ago the -8 seemed to be rare and I ended up with an 8A at least partially because that's what I could find in my price range.

As luddite42 said tail dragger's do tend to be more popular with a certain type of pilot that gravitates to the sportiness and tandem seating of the RV-8 - keep looking - good 8A's come up for sale too...

-8 looks better.

I dunno - the -A looks pretty badass...:)
i-NZjsDc6.jpg

Last edited:
Just saing.

It is mostly the sex appeal of the tail dragger. Once they leave the ground you will not know the difference. As with the insurance company claims the "A" has a better record. We have an "A" because we like to travel to new places more than we like to show the aircraft. It is all up to what you like and want, you can be happy with either and have just as much fun.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Mark Serbu of BFG-50 fame? I had one of those, wish I'd never sold it :D

Anyway, it's a fairly small pool to draw from, so I think there's an ebb and flow to what's for sale at any given time - when I was looking almost 2 years ago the -8 seemed to be rare and I ended up with an 8A at least partially because that's what I could find in my price range.

As luddite42 said tail dragger's do tend to be more popular with a certain type of pilot that gravitates to the sportiness and tandem seating of the RV-8 - keep looking - good 8A's come up for sale too...

I dunno - the -A looks pretty badass...:)

Yes, that's me. Be glad to sell you another BFG-50. Or a BFG-50A. ;)

Thanks for all the great replies, folks! I appreciate it!

Let me tell you a little story about sex appeal. Once upon a time we diverted to an alternate somewhere in NM. Even there the surface winds were howling near RV stall speeds. There were two intersecting runways, my copilot and I were readying for a good beating. 10 miles out an RV8 calls, a calm female voice announcing she is planning 19, it was very relaxing to hear.

After landing she transmitted try rwy 26 she ran out of rudder on 19. So we did. Landed on rwy 26. Touched down three times then finally stopped. She was still taxiing to the pump where we had a brief chat. Active duty just bought her first airplane. I asked to take a picture for the Kremlin. That's what guys I call sex appeal not the training wheelie placement. :D

Rough Fields!

I had an 8A. Bought it back when I was too stupid to know that turning it into a tailwheel was nearly impossible. Anyway, I built and flew that plane for a few years, and it was a stellar performer. The ONLY reason I sold it was due to the field I'm based on getting worn/rough/sandy. If I could go back in time I'd have done the big front wheel mod and kept it!

On the other hand, this time I get to do all the stuff I wish I'd done on the first one, just with a wheel in the back.

More room

Ignoring the tail/nose wheel noise..... The 8A has more space for
stuff up front without the -8 gear towers. My wife thinks it's also
easier to get out of the rear seat because it is level. YMMV

ir254x.jpg

(old pic before slight panel upgrade)

For me, it was purely a question of mission - and looks. :)

When I built my -8 many years ago, I was looking for a pure sport plane and tailwheel presence was part of the design's appeal. I already had a fair amount of tailwheel time and found it to be a breeze to land. Though we usually say "fly", the ground-handling (mostly the landing dynamics) are what we're really referencing.

Nowadays, as I'm preparing to embark on a -14A project, my mission has evolved to more of an IFR traveling machine that my wife will also enjoy. Though she tolerated the -8's rear seat, she'll have a much more enjoyable experience sitting next to me in the -14A and might even consent to receiving a little flight instruction!

Since I've already given up any semblance of sporty appearance in switching from tandem to side-by-side, the nosewheel wasn't much of an additional compromise. Hence, the 'A' is my attempt to make my wife feel a bit more comfortable with the whole thing.

Back