What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix Echo UAT/GRT - Install Experience

Looking ahead at the installation guide for the ECHO UAT with EXT GPS and interface wiring to my GTX327 and Dynon180 I have a question or two. I see in the diagram where the Transponder control in REMOTE will allow the ECHO to receive the RS232 for the mode and Sq code on pins 4 and ground on 1. Question is how does the ECHO receive the Altitude which in my case sourced from the Dynon 180 as a RS232 ?
Presently on the NW 600 EXP I have two RS232 connections into that now " boat anchor" ( but works perfectly) . I don't see where I connect the Altitude for that into the ECHO ? Am I missing a page?

BIG JOHN - -

30kdmxt.jpg

Hope this helps. I have been very happy with this setup in same model and age plane. I have ADS-B feeding it. With new IPad Pro, you can read it in direct sunlight. I bought the correct roll-r-mount since this pic.

My experience

The EchoUAT monitors the transponders rf transmission to pickup the squawk code and pressure altitude. I believe you can wire it into your transponder but I did not need to do that.

ECHO UAVIONIX report - -

I received a new ECHO UAT and GPS source from UAVIONIX today. Installed this afternoon, and did setup, then flew, and got back what I think is an excellent report from the FAA site. At this point - HAPPY !

I received a new ECHO UAT and GPS source from UAVIONIX today. Installed this afternoon, and did setup, then flew, and got back what I think is an excellent report from the FAA site. At this point - HAPPY !

Can you share some photos of the installation? GPS source and ECHO UAT placement? Also where you installed the UAT(978) antenna.

ECHO UAVIONIX Install - -

29ghblu.jpg

I have a very early RV-12 w/D-180. I had the Navworx mounted on top of the map box. I removed and installed the two new boxes as shown. The antenna hooked up to same type connector. They provided a short adapter wire to use my current GPS antenna and convert to needed hookup to GPS source. Wire harnesses are provided. Shane said it was ok to combine +'s, and -'s from original setup. Only had to run one of the provided harness wires from one box to the other. Do setup, and RTG. Very happy so far. Will be flying again today, so will see if any issues. Got a perfect report back yesterday.

Last edited:
ECHO UAT - -

Forgot you asked about where output Antenna is mounted. From the Navworx install, I have it under side near first rib of tail. About 5' from original TXP Antenna. They provided a new one, but I just used my old one.

John

Did you route the antenna coax to the tail cone through the central tunnel?

Where did you mount your GPS hockey puck antenna?

I'm asking so many questions because I, and probably other early 12's, will install ECHO UAT.

Thanks for your time...

Jim

I haven't installed a uAvionix device, but the GPS antenna for the Stratus ESG in my RV-6 is mounted under the cowl.

ADS-B%20GPS%20antenna.jpg

It performs flawlessly.

Jim and others - -

I run the coax under the arm rest, behind the gas tank, into tail section. The GPS receiver I mounted on same original plate as XM receiver would have been mounted, beside Garmin receiver. This install is SIMPLE compared to the Navworx. Hook power lead to both units. Hook ground to both units. Connect ONE wire from provide harness to other box. I had a plan in mind, so I was ready to go. It took about 2 - 3 hours until elec bay cover was back in place. Took a few minutes to do setup. Then fly and test it. My wiring is crude looking because I left all the excess wire in a coil on top of the boxes. Next time in I can remove all the unneeded wires if I want. I left old wiring in place also, just being careful not to have bare wires in contact with anything.

echoUAT / GRT SafeFly Install

Today was a first flight with my newly overhauled engine and the echoUAT / GRT SafeFly GPS combo. ADS-B traffic display on the GRT EFIS was great. Below is a link to the firewall mounting of the echo/GPS package and under cowl GPS antennas:

https://imgur.com/hWqhUNM

https://imgur.com/a/aE2bK

Last edited:
1st flight wiht an ECHO shows no Pressure altitude.

Flew first flight today with a new ECHO UAT. ( that replaces a 600EXP). the report shows and I also noted on the set up APP MONITOR that there was no pressure altitude being reported from the UAT out. The GPS altitude was within range. Using a GTX 327 and don't remember anything about any hard wire hook to altitude signal and didn't see any set up for that . I believe it depends on the ECHO to " sniff" the altitude from the XPDR signal. I do have com 1 set up and hard wired RS232 for the XPDR control and set to PANEL ( and have the 327 set to REMOTE)

Reconfigured the ECHO while in flight and within the UAT set up "control set to XPNDR MONITOR the pressure altitude appears.

Can I not use RS232 for Xponder control on COM 1 and " sniff" out the altitude or does one just set up for XPNDR MONITOR for all of that ?

The other major difference I saw was that the ECHO only had one tower connected where as the NWx always had at least 4 or 5. ??

Comments appreciated.

Advanced Flight Systems

I️ have two AFS 4500 and Garmin 430W and 330 transponder. Will the UAT interface with the AFS 4500 and display traffic and weather(ADS-B in)?

Forgot you asked about where output Antenna is mounted. From the Navworx install, I have it under side near first rib of tail. About 5' from original TXP Antenna. They provided a new one, but I just used my old one.

What coax cable did you use and what was its length? I'm in process of a panel upgrade/UAT install in my 6A and they stress to keep the coax as short as possible. If you go over approximately 2.5 meters, you need a different coax other than RG 400.

Flew first flight today with a new ECHO UAT. ( that replaces a 600EXP). the report shows and I also noted on the set up APP MONITOR that there was no pressure altitude being reported from the UAT out. The GPS altitude was within range. Using a GTX 327 and don't remember anything about any hard wire hook to altitude signal and didn't see any set up for that . I believe it depends on the ECHO to " sniff" the altitude from the XPDR signal. I do have com 1 set up and hard wired RS232 for the XPDR control and set to PANEL ( and have the 327 set to REMOTE)

Reconfigured the ECHO while in flight and within the UAT set up "control set to XPNDR MONITOR the pressure altitude appears.

Can I not use RS232 for Xponder control on COM 1 and " sniff" out the altitude or does one just set up for XPNDR MONITOR for all of that ?

The other major difference I saw was that the ECHO only had one tower connected where as the NWx always had at least 4 or 5. ??

Comments appreciated.

Dennis,

Contact uAvionix support via call or email. They are very responsive.

Regards,

I️ have two AFS 4500 and Garmin 430W and 330 transponder. Will the UAT interface with the AFS 4500 and display traffic and weather(ADS-B in)?

Yes.

There are two versions. The less expensive version requires you to use your 430W as a GPS source. The other option is that there is also an option to bundle a GPS with the echoUAT. I wouldn't recommend the GRT GPS that is what the OP started this thread. The decision point would be is the cost difference worth not having to wire the 430.

You also have the option of hardwiring your transponder, which I would recommend. It will be more reliable than the echoUAT picking up data from the transponder transmissions.

It's also verified by AFS. There are threads on their support site as well.

Yes.

There are two versions. The less expensive version requires you to use your 430W as a GPS source. The other option is that there is also an option to bundle a GPS with the echoUAT. I wouldn't recommend the GRT GPS that is what the OP started this thread. The decision point would be is the cost difference worth not having to wire the 430.

You also have the option of hardwiring your transponder, which I would recommend. It will be more reliable than the echoUAT picking up data from the transponder transmissions.

It's also verified by AFS. There are threads on their support site as well.

+1 on hard wiring the transponder. Sooner or later you?ll find yourself flying below radar coverage, and if nothing ?pings? the transponder, a sniffer will have nothing to sniff.
I recently faced the same choice, buy an approved gps or tap into an existing 430W (plus pay $100 to get the software with ADSB+ output). I chose the latter (tap into 430W) but understand that it?s not for everyone. I spent what seemed an eternity but really maybe an hour (?) on my back, under the panel, wishing I had three hands, to tap into the 430. BTW, you?ll need a ?high density? pin for the 430W connection.
Note to current builders: I wish I had had all the RS232 pins installed, with short wires, with my original harness. Would have saved considerable work now.

+1 on hard wiring the transponder. Sooner or later you?ll find yourself flying below radar coverage, and if nothing ?pings? the transponder, a sniffer will have nothing to sniff.
I recently faced the same choice, buy an approved gps or tap into an existing 430W (plus pay $100 to get the software with ADSB+ output). I chose the latter (tap into 430W) but understand that it?s not for everyone. I spent what seemed an eternity but really maybe an hour (?) on my back, under the panel, wishing I had three hands, to tap into the 430. BTW, you?ll need a ?high density? pin for the 430W connection.
Note to current builders: I wish I had had all the RS232 pins installed, with short wires, with my original harness. Would have saved considerable work now.

I totally concur with Bob's last couple of sentences. I ran into similar issues with my GTN650. Being an old fart wearing progressive bifocals, working on those high density pins upside down, under the panel is a royal PITA. With my fat fingers, I usually break an adjacent wire every time I open the shell on a high density connector.

GRT Safe-Fly and GTN430

I thought I would chime in and help out a bit with the GPS choice for the Echo UAT. Yes, the Garmin 430 can be software updated to have ADS-B+ output, if it is a WAAS version (GTN430W). I believe that updating a GTN430 to a GTN430W (WAAS)is quite expensive now (I think about $3k).

The GRT Safe-Fly would not be needed if the 430 can be upgraded, however, the Safe-Fly does add 3 serial ports (since it has a serial port combiner expander) for GRT EFIS systems, and the GPS data it provides to the EFIS is a RAIM GPS, meaning that if the 430 was not working, the Safe-Fly GPS is would be driving the GRT EFIS with data that would be nice to have if in actual IFR.

I don't know if the AFS would be able to use the NEMA RAIM GPS data from the Safe-Fly GPS though, and it could not use the serial data combiner.

I concur that wiring to the 330 transponder is desirable, and the EchoUAT is compatible with the GTX330. I have been lazy and have not made that wiring change in my RV-10 yet, but I will be.

Greg Toman
GRT Avionics

Being an old fart wearing progressive bifocals, working on those high density pins upside down, under the panel is a royal PITA.

I had some success, with help of some tape, at wearing my progressives upside down! (fortunately my left and right eyes are equally bad).

I had some success, with help of some tape, at wearing my progressives upside down! (fortunately my left and right eyes are equally bad).

Actually, I have another set of glasses with the reading prescription for the whole lens. The problem with those are that the focal length is about the end of your arm. Seeing those high density pins 12" in front of your face, so it's out of focus, makes life fun. I'm just glad that work is behind me.

430 plus?

Have been following the threads with the Echo installation and plan on doing the Garmin 430w RS232 out. What does it take to get the Garmin upgraded to have the "plus" added. Do I have to send in the unit? Also trying to figure out how to lay on my back comfortably for long periods of time, be able to see small objects, and handle them without dropping them into oblivion.

Have been following the threads with the Echo installation and plan on doing the Garmin 430w RS232 out. What does it take to get the Garmin upgraded to have the "plus" added. Do I have to send in the unit? Also trying to figure out how to lay on my back comfortably for long periods of time, be able to see small objects, and handle them without dropping them into oblivion.

It's a simple software upgrade for ADSB+. Adding wires for the RS-232 ports is a different story.

Garmin has made the software updates for the experimental market installable by the builder for the G3X and GTN650. I don't follow the 430W status to know if they did something similar for it. I'm sure that there are others that will speak up here on VAF.

Reach out to Ralph Capen. He and I worked together on the Navworx AMOCs. He has a 430W and can probably direct you.

Worse case, any Garmin dealer can install a software upgrade. Some are free and Garmin covers the fee to the dealer under warranty, but there are some that you'll have to pay whatever fee the dealer chooses to charge.

430W and adsb+

ADSB+ is an rs232 protocol. Go to the 430W set up page, look at your rs232 output options. If you do not see adsb+ (not just adsb, you need the +) then you need new software to get it. Garmin dealers have the software on a card that goes into the datacard slot. Takes 10 minutes. Some pull the 430W and do it in the shop, some do it in place in the airplane. Most seem to charge $100 for their time but you can shop around. A while ago someone here had the update card and was renting it out for less ($50?).

When the 430W boots up it displays the firmware version. I think it needs to be version 5.0 or later.

Worked through learning curve

Got the Echo UAT/GRT combo mounted in the 12. I really like it that the components are a lot smaller then the NavWorx box we were originally thinking about using before the FAA fiasco. Wired the Garmin GTR200 com in the second set of ports on the GPS. Will eventually put the combo in my 9A when the pocketbook will allow. I learned quite a bit on setting up the ports on the GRT Sport EFIS's working with support from the GRT guys. Will make the upgrades on the 9A a lot easier when I add my second EFIS screen. Wired the combo into the 4th set of ports on the primary EFIS which are the high speed ones.

compliance report for Echo-fix

Got the Echo UAT/GRT combo mounted in the 12. I really like it that the components are a lot smaller then the NavWorx box we were originally thinking about using before the FAA fiasco. Wired the Garmin GTR200 com in the second set of ports on the GPS. Will eventually put the combo in my 9A when the pocketbook will allow. I learned quite a bit on setting up the ports on the GRT Sport EFIS's working with support from the GRT guys. Will make the upgrades on the 9A a lot easier when I add my second EFIS screen. Wired the combo into the 4th set of ports on the primary EFIS which are the high speed ones.

Mike, let us know how the compliance test with the FAA comes out, when you get a chance.

That will be awhile

The plane isn't flying yet so it will be awhile. Kind of neat seeing targets on the screen when turned on.

uAvionix EchoUAT + SportSX

I installed the EchoUAT with the GRT Sport SX EFIS. It took a while to get the settings right, but all works fabulously!! I couldn't be happier. :D I am using the transponder "sniffing" feature with a GTX-327, so the RV-12 performance should be the same.

DSCN6170.JPG

And the FAA Compliance Results
DSCN6171.JPG

DSCN6172.JPG

DSCN6173.JPG

Full write-up and more details:
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1373
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1375
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1378 (lower Part of writeup)

Last edited:
pin out question

I must be missing something, but I cannot discern the pin out from the install manual for the connections to my GRT HS units. It shows a diagram for the "MiniX" only as far as I can tell.

Connections to the 430W and 327 are clear except there appears some question if shielded wire is called for or not, it's shown in the diagrams, but dismissed in the text.

Last question, I have been feeding Navworx 600 thru pin 14 (1.5 amp max switched power) on the GTX327 and for convenience see no reason to change this.... except it probably ought to be on its own fuse or breaker.
Shane?? Anyone?
Thanks, Tim Andres

I must be missing something, but I cannot discern the pin out from the install manual for the connections to my GRT HS units. It shows a diagram for the "MiniX" only as far as I can tell.

Connections to the 430W and 327 are clear except there appears some question if shielded wire is called for or not, it's shown in the diagrams, but dismissed in the text.

Last question, I have been feeding Navworx 600 thru pin 14 (1.5 amp max switched power) on the GTX327 and for convenience see no reason to change this.... except it probably ought to be on its own fuse or breaker.
Shane?? Anyone?
Thanks, Tim Andres

Tim,

We reference the MiniX simply as an example. Your HS has serial ports. The EchoUAT pin# 3 needs to be connected to an available serial port on your HS, preferably a high speed port. Then you need to set that serial port to ADS-B In and 115200 for the baud rate or speed. We don't specific the actual port as it can be different depending on your connection and if you are using a serial port combiner as well. It just needs to be connected to any available Serial Port In, you won't use the Out, in your set up.

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Can?t use pin 4?

Tim,

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps.

Shane,
My setup is a bit different, using AFS 5600 (display), GTN 750 (GPS position) & GTX 32 (squawk), but from what I gather the wiring would be the same. So, why can?t I use pin 4 to get a remote feed of the squawk rather than relying on the monitor to pick up RF replies to radar interrogations? It seems the system would be more robust with a direct (hardwired) feed where the Echo always had the squawk info whether being pinged by radar or not. What am I missing? And, would the answer change if I use the uAvionix GPS option instead of the GTN 750 for GPS position?

Okay, I think I just answered my own question. Pin 4 is the inbound Com 1 which needs 115K baud because that’s the transmit rate on outbound Com 1 (pin 3). The GTX 32/327 can only transmit at 57K baud, so unless you want to slow down the data transfer to the displays to an unacceptable(?) level of 57K baud, you’re stuck using the monitor mode to get all the squawk info from the 32/327.

SO, what happens when the FAA’s nextgen system is fully implemented and all of the radar stations get decommissioned? No interrogation means no reply, so you’re no longer 2020 compliant. Sounds like the ECHO needs a third Com port to be a viable long term solution, unless paired with the uAvionix gps position source at 115k baud in order to enable the remote function rather than the monitor function. In other words, the only way to hardwire the 32/327 to the ECHO is to forego the 430/750 as a gps position source and instead use the uAvionix add-on gps. Is that correct or is 57K ample for displaying traffic and weather?

Last edited:
power supply

Tim, the uAvionix units consume very low power. (see their spec sheet) So, you should be fine using the power connection previously used by the Navworx. When you get time down the road, a separate breaker (pullable) might be in order. I like to be able to isolate and shut off a particular piece of avionics if need be. Send me a PM if you need more details.
Have a great Sunday!

Thanks Nick, I have it installed and did feed from the 327 ala Navworx just using an in-line fuse, it?s working fine with a good report card.
Now I have an orphaned ADSB fault light left over from the NW install, I?ll have to find another purpose for it, maybe low water on the cappachino machine.
Tim Andres

Uavionix and GRT

"Tim,

We reference the MiniX simply as an example. Your HS has serial ports. The EchoUAT pin# 3 needs to be connected to an available serial port on your HS, preferably a high speed port. Then you need to set that serial port to ADS-B In and 115200 for the baud rate or speed. We don't specific the actual port as it can be different depending on your connection and if you are using a serial port combiner as well. It just needs to be connected to any available Serial Port In, you won't use the Out, in your set up.

As for the serial connection from the GTX327 and Echo, you'll use the Transponder Monitor, not the serial connection due to using the 430W as the GPS. You have GPS signal coming in on the Echo pin 6 (com2 rx)from the 430w, as ADSB+ and 9600 for the rate. Then you'll use the Echo pin 3 (Com1 TX)to send GDL 90 Traffic Uplink data to the GRT via RS232 at 115200, preferably. That ties up your serial speeds for those ports. You'l set the Control Source to Transponder Monitor and we'll get the Squawk, Pressure Alt, iDent, etc by that method... which works great on the 327. I hope this helps."

Shane;
In the above post you seem to say that the echo uat pin 3 is adsb traffic output but the uAvionix Echo UAT install and pilots guide sec. 7.5 shows pin 5 (com2 TX) as GDL90, 115200 baud.

My question - one of many - which pin is the traffic/wx sent on, from the echo to my GRT HXr. pin 3 or pin 5????

Other question (for now) Does the echo/uat output the gps data on either pin 3(com1 TX) or pin 5(com2TX) that I can connect to a serial in on my HXr??

Thank you

Navworx 600B pinouts

Does anyone have a .pdf document showing the pinouts for the original Navworx 600B unit? If so, I would much appreciate a PM or email with a copy. An RV owner and I are working on his aircraft and I cannot find my old copy. Thanks in advance ! flightlogic at msn

Does anyone have a .pdf document showing the pinouts for the original Navworx 600B unit? If so, I would much appreciate a PM or email with a copy. An RV owner and I are working on his aircraft and I cannot find my old copy. Thanks in advance ! flightlogic at msn

I just sent you an email with the pinout chart.

Jesse, your reputation as a solid asset to the RV community is long standing. Wish I could be closer to Florida to thank you in person.

[QUOTE DeweyClausen
Shane;
In the above post you seem to say that the echo uat pin 3 is adsb traffic output but the uAvionix Echo UAT install and pilots guide sec. 7.5 shows pin 5 (com2 TX) as GDL90, 115200 baud.

My question - one of many - which pin is the traffic/wx sent on, from the echo to my GRT HXr. pin 3 or pin 5????

Other question (for now) Does the echo/uat output the gps data on either pin 3(com1 TX) or pin 5(com2TX) that I can connect to a serial in on my HXr??

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Dewey,
I think I can shed some light on this. I think Shane is saying that when one of the two serial ports in the Echo is set to 9600 baud for the purpose of receiving GPS+ from a Garmin unit (in this case, Com2 RX pin 6) the result is that pin 5 (Com 2 TX) is stuck with 9600. Shane?s solution to that is to use pin 3 (Com 1 TX) to feed tfc & wx to the EFIS.

In other words, the Echo only has two serial ports, each of which can receive and/or transmit to any compatible equipment using compatible protocols, but the baud rate for either Com port?s receive channel and transmit channel must agree. In the instance you quoted, Com 1 is transmitting at 115.2k baud while Com 2 is receiving at 9.6k baud. It doesn?t matter which Com port transmits tfc & wx to the EFIS, but if Com 2 (pin 5) was used in this case, the slow baud rate would cause the receipt of tfc & wx by the EFIS at an unworkable rate, so you use the other Com port. You can see this explained (sort of) in the appendix dealing with using the Garmin GPS source.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Serial Mux?

I have a 480 for GPS, 327 and HXr. I gather that Uavionix now has a serial mux that they are shipping with the Echo.

Do I understand it correctly that with the mux we can inject hard wired FADC data from the HXr and therefore get the missing Altitude instead of sniffing it from the 327?

IOW (all hardwired inputs):

1) ADSB+ from the 480 @9600baud
2) Muxed Squawk, mode ID (327) with FADC (HXr) @9600baud

Output: Traffic @115200baud to HXr

Is this correct?
I dont want to sniff cause I dont want to rely on the 327 getting pinged......

I met Shane at Sun N Fun 2 weeks ago and had a chat about their new MUX wiring harness but as of last week, uAvionix is reporting that Shane (Shane@avionix on this forum) is "no longer with the company". Too bad, very knowledgeable & helpful guy. I wonder what happened.

Support is also unreachable at the moment...

Say it ain't so, Joe!” I don’t like hearing this. I spoke with Shane on the Friday before S&F via phone. We spoke for ~ 45 minutes and all seemed well. He offered me free shipping and a 24” coax for the antenna with factory made connectors at no additional cost.

I was getting ready to place my order this week for echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT bundle for my 12 and now I’m on the fence. Remember the Navworx fiasco? I’m going to hang loose for a while…

Not good news about Shane.
I just spoke to uAvionix tech support before SnF and they said Shane was still with the company but now in a different capacity.
I hope that is true because I had spoken with him several times and was impressed with his knowledge and attitude.

Not good news about Shane.
I just spoke to uAvionix tech support before SnF and they said Shane was still with the company but now in a different capacity.
I hope that is true, because I had spoken with him several times previously and was impressed with his knowledge and attitude.

Back