What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix Echo UAT/GRT - Install Experience

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Good Morning All,

Yes, I realize there are earlier threads on this product, but I find a lot of thread drift in those, and I would like to zero in on some specifics.

This unit looks pretty good to me for 2020 compliance for early RV-12?s with the original D-180?s. I?m looking for information and installation/operation advice specific to this configuration.

My 12 still has the original G496, but I am contemplating an upgrade to a G660. Does anyone have experience with interfacing this unit to the above?

I'm following this thread... I plan on installing the ECHO UAT with SkyFYX-EXT sometime next summer. I have an early 12 with D-180 and GTX 327. I want to mount the Sky GPS antenna next to the Garmin GPS antenna on the angle bracket under the cowling at the top of the firewall. Don't know yet where the ADS-B receiver will mount - I'm thinking behind the baggage compartment rear bulkhead.

Last edited:
jim, you might need some seperation between gps antennas. posibly a foot or so. ;)

jim, you might need some seperation between gps antennas. posibly a foot or so. ;)

I have been wondering about that and doing some research. The sheetmetal shelf looks to be designed to accommodate two "hockey puck" GPS antennas side by side.

I have been wondering about that and doing some research. The sheetmetal shelf looks to be designed to accommodate two "hockey puck" GPS antennas side by side.

I have never separated GPS antennas and have thousands of fleet hours of no-problems.

The need to separate, by a meter I believe, is for the transponder and adsb antennas.

Yes, I got that part... That's why I plan to install the receiver in the tail cone. Short coax and long separation from transponder antenna. At least that's the plan for now.

Good to hear that GPS "hockey puck" antennas can be mounted side by side. The SkyFYX-EXT is an All-in-One GPS Receiver and Antenna. Think that would make any difference in the mounting position?

There have been a few reports - here on VAF - of gps antennas with internal electronics failing (due to heat?), and subsequently radiating a signal which blanked nearby gps antennas.

Bob - it always seems I'm posting follow-ups after you've posted something... We've got to stop meeting like this!!!! :)

The GA35 antennas from Garmin are somewhat (in)famous for acting as GPS jammers. Garmin claims this is caused by applying excessive torque to the antenna fasteners. I'm still not convinced as I've seen this same failure when no mounting screws were used.

Either way, it's quite possible for one GPS antenna to fail and become a jammer which will take out all the other GPS receivers on the airplane. Antenna separation won't help appreciably when this particular failure strikes. Switching off the offending GPS system is the only way to turn off the jamming and allow your other GPS receivers to work.

(For what it's worth, I have two of the little puck GPS antennas from GRT mounted side by side. They seem quite happy and in fact produce the best receive sensitivity of any GPS receivers I've ever owned.)

I have just installed the echo, seems to work fine on the ground, i see traffic around.. Have not yet taken a flight.
Very simple install, I installed the echo skyfy-EXT next to my garmin on the front firewall.

Thanks for all the replys. I am contemplating the following, and am asking if anyone out there has already done this specific configuration in an early RV-12 as it came in the standard kits back in the 2010 era.

Replace the G496 with the G660.

Add the Uavionics EchoUAT system including the approved GPS source module.

Remove the original G496 GPS antenna, and the XM weather antenna from the shelf in the engine compartment.

Install the G660 optional GPS antenna on the shelf.

Install the EchoUAT GPS antenna also on the shelf.

Install the UAT antenna in the empennage away from all other antennas.

Has anyone done this, and have you experienced any significant issues?

I understand that I have to order the bare wire cable and the external antenna in addition to the G660. As I read the EchoUAT web info it comes with the necessay antennas.

Big John,

This is Shane with uAvionix. I'd be happy to jump in and help with any questions you or others might have regarding the EchoUAT as an IN/OUT solution, perfect for RV aircraft. I've worked with many, many RV owners on their installs, etc of ADS-B and would love to help if possible.

I won't overstep into marketing or advertising, just trying to help fellow pilots become compliant with the least effort and cost.

I was just at VAF home airport (52F) on Friday discussing RV installs. A couple questions that might help me better assist you and others.

1. Are you only looking for ADS-B Out to be 2020 Compliant?
2. If you are looking to use ADS-B In (Weather or Traffic) as well... What do you plan to display the Weather and Traffic on? GPS, EFIS, iPad, or Android?
3. Do you already have an ADS-B In (Receiver only) device?

For any that use ForeFlight on an iPad or iPhone, EchoUAT is now fully supported by ForeFlight Connect in their latest 9.4 release.

John,
I removed the 496 and surface mounted an iFly GPS. The iFly viewing surface is about an inch away from the instrument panel. The iFly GPS works well without an external antenna. The Garmin 660 might also work well without an external antenna unless it is recessed into the panel.
Although the iFly itself works great, its RS-232 data signal to my Dynon D-180 is intermittent. It seems to be a software problem and not a hardware problem. For that reason, I can not recommend the iFly 740 GPS.

Although the iFly itself works great, its RS-232 data signal to my Dynon D-180 is intermittent. It seems to be a software problem and not a hardware problem. For that reason, I can not recommend the iFly 740 GPS.
Joe, can I assume you have the latest firmware load on your D180, and that the 496 worked without any data loss? When I bought my RV-12, the nav data would frequently drop out. I'd be cruising along with the AP on, and every once in a while the AP would switch from NAV to TRK. Apparently that was a known problem with the D180, and updating the D180 software fixed it. I'm assuming you knew that and have your D180 up to date, though -- right?

Big John,

This is Shane with uAvionix. I'd be happy to jump in and help with any questions you or others might have regarding the EchoUAT as an IN/OUT solution, perfect for RV aircraft. I've worked with many, many RV owners on their installs, etc of ADS-B and would love to help if possible.

I won't overstep into marketing or advertising, just trying to help fellow pilots become compliant with the least effort and cost.

I was just at VAF home airport (52F) on Friday discussing RV installs. A couple questions that might help me better assist you and others.

1. Are you only looking for ADS-B Out to be 2020 Compliant?
2. If you are looking to use ADS-B In (Weather or Traffic) as well... What do you plan to display the Weather and Traffic on? GPS, EFIS, iPad, or Android?
3. Do you already have an ADS-B In (Receiver only) device?

For any that use ForeFlight on an iPad or iPhone, EchoUAT is now fully supported by ForeFlight Connect in their latest 9.4 release.

Shane, thank you very much for chiming in.

1. I currently use ForeFlight on an iPad in conjunction with a Status II for ADS-B in.

2. I plan to display ADS-B info on the G660 that I will install to replace the long-in-tooth G496, and on the iPad for backup and when I want a bigger screen and the full functions of FF.

3. Stratus. I will keep it for portable use when working with students in their airplanes.

John,
I removed the 496 and surface mounted an iFly GPS. The iFly viewing surface is about an inch away from the instrument panel. The iFly GPS works well without an external antenna. The Garmin 660 might also work well without an external antenna unless it is recessed into the panel.

Hi Joe, thanks for jumping in. I plan to use an Airgizmo flush mount, and so I think I will want the external antenna since the 660 internal antenna will be surrounded by aluminum.

John,

You could get the EchoUAT / SkyFYX-Ext combo and that would have you set for ADS-B Out, but also have ADS-B In (dual-band) and a WAAS GPS feed for use on an iPad with ForeFlight or many other apps. EchoUAT would also feed Traffic and Weather to a GRT, MGL, AFS and other EFIS. Then you could very likely trade your Stratus 2 for a GDL39 to feed your Aera 660.

To get ADS-B Weather / Traffic on the Garmin 660 GPS, you pretty much forced to use Garmin ADS-B devices. The iFly 740 would be a good option and as stated, I believe with the latest firmware and software for Dynon and iFly, that serial issue is fixed.

Question? What kind of wingtip lights does your plane have on it. Nav only, Nav/Strobe, or Nav/Strobe/Tail Position all-in-one. You'll understand where I'm going next.

Big John,

This is Shane with uAvionix. I'd be happy to jump in and help with any questions you or others might have regarding the EchoUAT as an IN/OUT solution, perfect for RV aircraft. .

Shane, you wouldn't happen to be the same Shane that was VP for iFly (Adventure Pilot) where the service was outstanding?

Last edited:
Shane, are you saying the EchoUAT will not interface to the G660 for weather and traffic?

Yes that's what he's saying. For ADSB-in you will need to add a GDL39 at some point. They show up periodically in the classifieds. There is one there now. Garmin products are proprietary and don't play well with other non Garmin stuff.:(

Well ****, that is disappointing. I thought I had a good selection of products all figured out that would satisfy all my objectives. Back to the drawing board I guess.

DaleB,
Thanks for your comments. At one time I had the same problem with the autopilot that you describe. But updating the D-180 software fixed it. After that the D-180 worked fine with the GPS496.
Now with the 496 replaced by the iFly 740, the GPS serial data is sent to the D-180 for the first several minutes of a flight. Then it just stops for the remainder of the short flight. I can tell because the wind arrow disappears and the magenta on the HSI screen disappears too. When I download and analyze the Dynon data log after the flight, the GPS-derived date changes to zeros at the same point where the wind arrow and magenta disappeared. No bad wire connections were found.

Well ****, that is disappointing. I thought I had a good selection of products all figured out that would satisfy all my objectives. Back to the drawing board I guess.

+1
Companies are free to do what they want; it's their proper goal to maximize profits. But this is one reason I favor companies like GRT and WingX, which tend to be open sourced, and generally strive to interface with everyone (except, of course, those who keep their software as a propriatary secret).

Last edited:
Yes that's what he's saying. For ADSB-in you will need to add a GDL39 at some point. They show up periodically in the classifieds. There is one there now. Garmin products are proprietary and don't play well with other non Garmin stuff.:(

I found this out when I converted my 12 from D-180/Garmin 496 to SkyView/Dynon GPS. The Garmin SL40 communicated with the 496 and would grab frequencies automatically from the 496 data base. When you were in the vicinity of an airport the frequencies would be available by punching the SL40 RCL button and you could scroll thru them in the standby window with the right hand knobs. Real handy. Now with SV, the Garmin GTX200 will not share the Dynon GPS data base so I have lost that feature with my upgrade. Not complaining really, the GTX200 is a nice radio with excellent intercom and other features. Just saying...if you want to maintain full functionality of the SL40 radio you need a hardwired Garmin GPS.

Last edited:

John,

I?d take a good look at the iFly 740 for the Portable GPS. Then the EchoUAT will feed weather and traffic to it and an iOS or Android app. EchoUAT is ForeFlight compatible and works with others like WingX, iFlyGPS, FlyQ, Avare, FltPlan Go, and many more. Maybe even just put an iPad Mini in an air gizmo dock.

Don?t get me wrong, Garmin makes good products but you have to know they have a closed development strategy so you?ll be tied to their pricey ecosystem. We have an open development strategy for echoUAT to work with most all apps and EFIS.

One option is to get our new SkyBeacon (Wingtip LED Nav light with ADS-B) for ADS-Out. Then get the Aera 660 and a used GDL 39. This would just not allow other app use outside of Garmin?s app.

We need to determine how set you are on staying with a Garmin portable GPS. If you are comfortable with it, stay with it. The last thing I was is for you to be uncomfortable with your Nav tools in flight. If you are open to other GPS or iPads, etc... then you can likely achieve the same and save some cost. Just trying to help if I can.

. . . "Garmin makes good products but you have to know they have a closed development strategy so you?ll be tied to their pricey ecosystem. We have an open development strategy for echoUAT to work with most all apps and EFIS." . . .
If that's the case, then why doesn't echoUAT feed Dynon Skyview displays with weather and traffic?:(

Shane,

I'm considering an install of the EchoUAT and the SkyFYX-Ext in my 7A, and I am currently using DroidEFB with a Dual XGPS 170. Is the EchoUAT compatible with the DroidEFB app?

Thanks!

If that's the case, then why doesn't echoUAT feed Dynon Skyview displays with weather and traffic?:(

In that case, it?s the display device only accepting encrypted data or their proprietary data. We would simply need them to provide us the encryption layer to be displayed on Dynon Skyview, or they could use the GDL90 standard. We use the standard GDL90 available to anyone, most EFIS and most apps. It?s my understanding that we?ve offered to be allowed to integrate with the Dynon and Garmin, for weather and traffic display, but again those are closed ADS-B systems.

In that case, it?s the display device only accepting encrypted data or their proprietary data. We would simply need them to provide us the encryption layer to be displayed on Dynon Skyview, or they could use the GDL90 standard. We use the standard GDL90 available to anyone, most EFIS and most apps. It?s my understanding that we?ve offered to be allowed to integrate with the Dynon and Garmin, for weather and traffic display, but again those are closed ADS-B systems.
Thank you for the informative response.

Shane,

I'm considering an install of the EchoUAT and the SkyFYX-Ext in my 7A, and I am currently using DroidEFB with a Dual XGPS 170. Is the EchoUAT compatible with the DroidEFB app?

Thanks!

Yes, echoUAT is supported on most apps. On DroidEFB, you?d select Stratux, who?s is a grouping for devices using the GDL90 on port 4000. They?ve just not added echoUAT. I?ve just tested it again and it works just fine. Hope this helps.

+1. A very rational post. No wonder Jim gave you a "thumbs up".

At the risk of Shane getting a big head, my interactions with him and Adventure Pilot, makers of the iFly GPS, were second to none. Reachable and quickly resolved all my issues. Replaced my GPS with overnight service with no questions asked. As you can see, the same level of service has bled over to uAvionix which I plan to add at a later date.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

At the risk of Shane getting a big head, my interactions with him and Adventure Pilot, makers of the iFly GPS, were second to none. Reachable and quickly resolved all my issues. Replaced my GPS with overnight service with no questions asked. As you can see, the same level of service has bled over to uAvionix which I plan to add at a later date.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I agree. I never needed support much as the product was really solid, but he knew the answer when needed!

Vic

Thanks guys for your kind words. Vic, glad to see you are doing well, it?s been awhile. No fear of me getting a big head. Just trying to do right as I can.

Pilots are a class of their own and it has been very rewarding the serve all of you. Helping navigate these times has been a pleasure and getting to know so many RV pilots and more. ADS-B and GPS tools can be a complicated and complex purchase so I?m just here to help how I can.

John,

I?d take a good look at the iFly 740 for the Portable GPS. Then the EchoUAT will feed weather and traffic to it and an iOS or Android app. EchoUAT is ForeFlight compatible and works with others like WingX, iFlyGPS, FlyQ, Avare, FltPlan Go, and many more. Maybe even just put an iPad Mini in an air gizmo dock.

Don?t get me wrong, Garmin makes good products but you have to know they have a closed development strategy so you?ll be tied to their pricey ecosystem. We have an open development strategy for echoUAT to work with most all apps and EFIS.

One option is to get our new SkyBeacon (Wingtip LED Nav light with ADS-B) for ADS-Out. Then get the Aera 660 and a used GDL 39. This would just not allow other app use outside of Garmin?s app.

We need to determine how set you are on staying with a Garmin portable GPS. If you are comfortable with it, stay with it. The last thing I was is for you to be uncomfortable with your Nav tools in flight. If you are open to other GPS or iPads, etc... then you can likely achieve the same and save some cost. Just trying to help if I can.

This started out to be a simple way to upgrade the original 496 in my RV-12. A friend recently did this with a G660 in a Gizmo mount. The installation was extremely easy, since the new Gizmo mount fits the same physical dimensions as the old mount.

In the process of researching options for 2020 compliance, I became aware of the EchoUAT and its capabilities. I naively thought the 660 and the EchoUAT were a marraige made in heaven, until I started this thread and got jerked back to reality by being informed that Garmin does not play nice with other equipment.

I am not interested in spending nearly a thousand bucks to duplicate the ADS-B recieve function of the EchoUAT, just so I can feed the 660, if I was to install that combination. That seems absurd to me.

I am not adverse to the idea of the iFly units, but I am also not interested in ripping up the panel in my airplane. Whatever I replace the 496 with needs to be able to be mounted in the same location. I have been on the AirGizmo site this morning but the information there seems very sparse on their offerings for the iFly units.

Shane, or anyone else, can you tell me if there is a simple way to mount the iFly into an existing standard avionics stack?

John

Perhaps another solution where you leave the 496 in place and add a mini iPad running ForeFlight with traffic and weather. My 12 doesn't have lights or autopilot so these switches are marked INOP. I made a bracket to mount a mini iPad at a good viewing angle directly under the D-180. The bracket covers the unused switches. When I install the Echo UAT next year I'll get traffic and weather on the iPad. For now I'm enjoying redundant GPS navigation.

See post below showing mini iPad installation...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1049841&postcount=12

..... I am not adverse to the idea of the iFly units, but I am also not interested in ripping up the panel in my airplane. Whatever I replace the 496 with needs to be able to be mounted in the same location. I have been on the AirGizmo site this morning but the information there seems very sparse on their offerings for the iFly units.

Shane, or anyone else, can you tell me if there is a simple way to mount the iFly into an existing standard avionics stack?

John,

You do not have to use a dedicated iFly portable unit. Although the 520 model is more compact than the 740. You can go with either the Android or i-OS version of iFly and run it on your smartphone or tablet. Most smartphones with large screens (Galaxy Note, iPhone plus) will fit in the 496 footprint nicely. I have iFly and Garmin Pilot both installed on my smartphone and find iFly is my go to app. It is also uAvionix compatible. If you have an iOS device you can also look at FlyQ EFB which also is uAvionix compatible. The smartphone or small tablet has the advantage of allowing you to develop a flight plan at home or office prior to going to the airport. I often whip out my phone to check weather and generally go right to iFly to do so as it is more convenient and faster than consumer grade weather apps. It is also aviation specific weather. When friends an I start talking about a fly-out it's nice to have the phone available with iFly. The phone/tablet also keeps databases and software updated via wifi or cell data. When I go fly I use the same smartphone device with a USB cable for power. I have ferried aircraft as diverse as a single-seat Pitts, Huskies, Cubs,. RVs and a Comanche across the country with my smartphone as primary nav.

I would suggest trying the free 30-day trial of iFly on your phone or small tablet and see how it works for you. If you like it my preferred mount is a 1" RAM ball on a SlipGrip snap-in case holder. You could also just mount a SlipGrip case flat. SlipGrip makes totally custom snap mounts based on a specific phone model wearing a specific brand case. They are awesome.

The support from Adventure Pilot / iFly is secondary to none and even though FlyQ comes close, there is no software as easy or intuitive to use as iFly. And in my estimation there is no more convenient a device for it than my smartphone.

Jim

John,

When I was at AP, I found some ?Richter Plates? that would mount to the panel, on a flat surface and would allow for a Snap in quick release style mount for the 740. Adventure Pilot would likely still sell one of these. Here are some links to similar items... one offers a swivel/tilt. I?ve had many happy customers using a variety of these over the years. Just depends on the look and functionality goals.

https://www.amazon.com/iGrip-Herbert-Richter-HR-Standard/dp/B00847J7M8
Or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-Prong-Adapter-Plate-Herbert-Richter/dp/B003W4V0CI

Additionally, Max over at AirGizmo is a great guy and they make a great product. I have an Airgizmo in my 172 panel... caution though, it takes 8? of vertical space for the 740 mount if you are putting in a standard stack. If you have room, that?s the route I?d go.

A couple other resources for mounts would be Nic at MyGOFlight. They make some slick mounts... and another is ProClip USA as they have some low-profile mounts.

And finally, the 740 is flat on its back and only weighs about 13oz... I can?t tell you how many pilots just used the 3m Command Strips or High-Perf Velcro... it won?t slide or gum up.

Hope this helps.

I?d agree with the prior two guys. Portable GPS units are loosing luster over years, but some really want to stay that course. iPad and Android devices are solid and offer great flexibility. They?ve also gotten much brighter recently. iPad Pro or Samsung Tab S3... are very bright.

That was my first option to suggest a ways back. EchoUAT with SkyFYX-EXT bundle and feed to and iPad or Android. Then if you want to add and EFIS like GRT or MGL, etc later... the EchoUAT supports that. Lots of flexibility.

I was just trying to offer you a more open ecosystem portable GPS system.

Last year I bought a Garmin 696 that I planned to use to replace the 496 in my RV-12. When I figured out what it would actually cost to do it with ADS-B IN, and where that would leave me for ADS-B OUT, I sold the 696 and bought a tablet instead. The Galaxy Tab S2 8" is a fantastic tablet and very clear even in direct sunlight, just don't crack the screen or you're in for a shock. Anyway, as mentioned by others, pretty much nothing will talk to a Garmin device other than a Garmin device. If you want WX and traffic, it's a GDL 39. No Stratux or anything else. There is some interest in the Stratux community in developing the code to send data to Garmin GPS units, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The downside to the tablet is, it won't drive the AP without some additional fidgeting around. I haven't done it yet, but you could (in theory) use a Bluetooth serial receiver to feed the AP from your tablet if you're running Avare. The IFly app won't do it, I don't think. It's one reason I was very tempted to buy an IFly 740 -- hardwired serial ports. For now I just have the 496 there to drive the AP and as a backup GPS source. I use the tablet for flight planning, traffic and weather with a Stratux receiver that will eventually be replaced with something else for ADS-B IN and OUT. That will probably be uAvionix, unless something better comes along.

John, I mounted a 720 iFly on the panel with a ram mount and used the iFly option for the ram. I use it in a vertical position "permanently" there adjacent to a Dynon 180. Actually used a spare 3 1/8 blank to attach the ram ball. Power and your good to go with the echo. Using the wifi, with a 600EXP ,LARGE screen, adjustable for light and can leave it all attached. I actually have a 396 in a Air gizmo adjacent to the 720 but rarely ever look at the 396, except that my auto pilot is still tied to it.

Last edited:
Yes, echoUAT is supported on most apps. On DroidEFB, you?d select Stratux, who?s is a grouping for devices using the GDL90 on port 4000. They?ve just not added echoUAT. I?ve just tested it again and it works just fine. Hope this helps.

Shane,

Thanks for the clarification and prompt reply. I really like the DroidEFB app. However, I've emailed DroidEFB a couple of times about it and didn't get a response.

Shane,

Thanks for the clarification and prompt reply. I really like the DroidEFB app. However, I've emailed DroidEFB a couple of times about it and didn't get a response.

Shane,

No worries. I tested our EchoUAT with DroidEFB and it works as expected. I?ll see if I can prompt them to add a uAvionix call out to their ?Stratux? option. They list several brands under that.

. . . "Perhaps another solution where you leave the 496 in place and add a mini iPad running ForeFlight with traffic and weather. My 12 doesn't have lights or autopilot so these switches are marked INOP. I made a bracket to mount a mini iPad at a good viewing angle directly under the D-180. The bracket covers the unused switches. When I install the Echo UAT next year I'll get traffic and weather on the iPad. For now I'm enjoying redundant GPS navigation.
See post below showing mini iPad installation...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1049841&postcount=12
Jim,

That looks like a winner to me.
Thanks for the pics and sharing.

I did something similar. I left the GPS 396 (my 496 did and I had a spare 396) and installed a Ram mount on the glare shield with a 6? arm for my iPad mini. With the Freeflight ADS-B In/Out displaying on the iPad mini through a WiFi module I get all the info and can take the iPad to the hotel at the end of a cross country.

Has anybody received the uAvionix/GRT GPS package from GRT recently? My brother has one on order since before Oshkosh and still hasn't received it yet.

Has anybody received the uAvionix/GRT GPS package from GRT recently? My brother has one on order since before Oshkosh and still hasn't received it yet.

I can?t speak for GRT specifically, but EchoUAT is in stock and last I spoke with them this week, I believe they were waiting on components to complete the combos.

I?ve personally assisted dozens and dozens of GRT customers configure their units and ultimately pass their performance test flight. He?s going to like it when he gets it. It comes all prewired and all. In think they are selling them faster than they can get components ramped up.

Its on the way.

He called and talked to Jon. They tried calling him a few times but didn't leave a message in the past or he never got an email. Its on the way now.

Back