What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax Voltage Regulator issues Again

Mike,

Will the board manufacturer sell just one board? Or do you have a suggestion for those of us who just want to build one unit? I sure don't need 4 boards!

Jim Butcher

2 Each

Jim

If you buy 4 boards, I will buy 2 of them from you.

If interested call or Email

Joe Dallas

727-857-9812

[email protected]

Mike,

Will the board manufacturer sell just one board? Or do you have a suggestion for those of us who just want to build one unit? I sure don't need 4 boards!

Jim Butcher

Last edited:
A very professional job

Mike

A very professional job

I would like to know the changes you made to the circuit and why

I have wanted to do this and you saved me a lot of research

Thanks for sharing this design

Great job

Joe Dallas

A few weeks ago I scratch built a new voltage regulator to replace the Ducati.

My design goals were;
  • Low cost ?experimental? replacement
  • Repairable
  • All components are off the shelf (no custom extrusions, CNC, or molded parts)
  • A regulator with known ratings, all components have data sheets.
  • Built with common builders tools
  • Increased heat sink area
  • Eliminate Faston connections for the power leads
  • Maintain the Ducati mounting bolt hole spacing
  • Optional cooling fan

This is what I came up with;

Overview
2ibkhex.jpg

Side by side
19l00p.jpg

Optional cooling fan
2zyiwpc.jpg

The parts cost about $60, not including the PCB.

I?ve only got a few hours on it, so I wouldn?t consider it a proven design. If you have an interest in building an experimental replacement regulator, all the details can be found in this pdf file;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d6nHOb2YgIeO-T3Ra6fIhzrB4gktR3Ok

Perhaps you could answer a question.

I wondered about the light circuit. I was looking for it on the circuit diagram

See my post 44 in this thread. My regulator was so badly soldered that the light circuit came shorted out to the next pad. (The L and C pads) When I powered it up the regulator it got very hot with that fried component odor.. What could have burned out? If it just killed the light function, I don’t care, not used. If it could have killed the regulator then I will build one of yours a little earlier than I planned.

Rans S-20 build

Hey Bruce,....a little bit of a thread drift, but I see you?re building an S-20 Raven. How?s that build going? Do you like the overall quality of the Rans product and the building experience? After I?m finished with my current RV-7 project I?m planning on building a Rans S-7. I got interested in this thread because I?ll more than likely be installing the 912 in my S-7 project. I know that the Rotax charging system is a bit anemic and I also really don?t care for any of the Ducati ignition system. So, my plan is to ditch the entire Rotax charging and ignition system along with ditching the carburetors and replacing everything with a single, belt driven, external alternator along with an electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection (EFII) system like what?s now available for our Lycoming based engines. I?ll basically be building my own version of the 915. If you?d like to P.M. or email any details of your S-20 build to me, that?ll be fine. Once again, I?m sorry for the thread drift, but I?m just trying to educate myself about these Rotax?s every chance I get.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark

Look in your private messages, my phone. I was Crew Chief for the first Reno racer to run the SDS EFI system with very positive results. Can provide good info on Rans also.

Bruce

Back