What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Plastic

JBHansen

How do you remove pieces of the blue plastics that comes on the sheet metal? I some of them that have been of the metal for three years?

For smaller pieces I just peel it off from a corner. Larger pieces, like wing and fuse skins, I used a length of dowel or PVC pipe. Peel up an edge, tape it to the pipe/dowel if needed, and roll it across the skin to roll up the film around your chosen rolling implement.

If you're not in a huge hurry, just put the part in the sun. I found this to work even in the wintertime (sorry for those of you in the so-called Midwest, in Arizona we have sun in the winter, except on the days it snows). Using a pipe or paper tube to roll up the plastic on larger parts is a nice idea. If you dimple before peeling (in order to avoid the dies scratching the alclad), be sure to check all the dimples for leftover plastic. The dimpling process can cut the plastic at the edge of the dimple, leaving you with little 'O's of plastic.

Took me a while to figure out how to get this picture inserted, but here it is better late than never. On the OWW project these two novice volunteers figured out the best method of plastic removal very quickly. Note that the project manager was keeping a watchful eye on them!

2wefknn.jpg
[/IMG]

Back