What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Takeoff Distance

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
I used my Garmin Flight Log to Calculate what is I hope an accurate takeoff distance.
  1. Put the PFD data card into a reader on the computer
  2. Open a flight log in Excel
  3. Locate the liftoff data point where the altitude begins to increase and record the Lat/Lon data.
  4. Do the same for the starting point where the ground speed begins to increase.
  5. Enter the two Lat/Lon points into the distance calculator at https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html
  6. Click "see it on a map" and be amazed when your runway appears with the takeoff run on it.
  7. Convert the distance from km to your favorite length units (Mine are feet).
Takeoff%20Distance.JPG

I was not trying for a sort field takeoff. It worked out to be 715 feet into a three mph headwind.
I was also reminded to work on that P-Factor drift to the left.

Nice Karl, nice!

Is that an actual plot of the two points on the runway?

I have been able to make the calculation second by second using the G3X data file and get my TO distance, but wanted to plot lat-lon points on a map. Do you mind sharing how to do that?

EDIT: I accessed the link and it will plot the points. BUT, I would still like to know how to use more than two points, some runways are not flat, my home field is not. I hesitate for a few seconds at the same point on the runway then throttle on and release the brakes. That way the start point is easy to find, the lift off is not so easy.

Last edited:
A free program called GPSBabel will convert lat lon data into a kml file for use with Google Earth, which will plant flags along the flight path.

Back