What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prompted to ask this insurance coverage question >

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
Posting on Home page 5/17/18 but no associated thread, "24 yr old Happy RV-6 Owner/Pilot", but it deserves a question that immediately came to mind > > INSURANCE COVERAGE.

I am within about a year of first flight of my RV14A and I have been probing the insurance agents for coverage, hull and liability. What I am finding is that there is no definitive or clear answer (of course not) to the amount of transition training required. It depends. My total flight time is about 1700 hrs spread out since getting my Private in 1966 - Commercial, Instrument (not current), Multi-Engine (not current), about half my total time is tail dragger. Was a CFII for about 10 years in the 70's. Some multi time, some time in Bonanzas and the like, little bit of actual IFR. Biggest single block of time is in a Bellanca Cruisair (500 hrs).

The insurance agent responses to my probes where that I would likely need a CFI sign-off, maybe around 5 hours transition training in a 'similar' type/configuration. That seems fair.

So the specific question relating to the 24 yr old Happy Owner is this: What did he find in his pursuit of owning an RV-6 regarding insurance coverage?

I had similar total time (around 150 hours) when I completed my RV. I was instrument rated. 5 hours of transition training and I was good to go. Insurance was very reasonable, and has gone down, but not a huge amount, after adding 200ish hours in the plane.
My only complaint is that my RV makes me hate every plane I have flown since, especially the arrow I am flying to build retractable time. What a dog...
Chris

Transition training

Search this site for "Transition Training" and you will find several threads about how, where, how much, etc.
I was told by my insurance company that I needed 5 hours of tailwhel time in similar a/c ( I built an -8, and they said a -6 IS similar). I got those 5 hours of in Okeechobee Florida with an instructor over one weekend.

Lots more info in VAF...search on!

I had a little over 100 hrs total stick time and Gallagher required 1 hour of CFI transition training. I flew 2 hrs with an instructor and started flying off the phase 1 time/tests.

My insurance dropped by almost $300 after the first year and 150 hrs.

I had about 300 hours and non-current IFR about the time of the first flight in my RV-10.

When I started the build, the underwriters were requiring 5-10 hours for most pilots. When I went to increase my coverage to include flight, the binder didn't require any hours. However, I did spend 4-5 hours with Alex D. before conducting the first flight.

Back