What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I will land in 48 states on my way to KOSH

I launch tomorrow, 7/16/2014 for a flight to the lower 48 states. Oshkosh is my final state. This has probably been done before, but not by me.
I plane to navigate and communicate with the use of an IFLY 720.
I am somewhat internet challenged, (I still use a flip phone, no Ipad,etc) but I will try to keep readers up to date on my travels. Hope there is some interest in my trip. Its something I have wanted to do for many years.
See ya at KOSH

Joel Sidell
N85007
RV4.8ER

Joel that sounds like a great adventure. You should put a little sign with a map on your windscreen at "Osh" telling of your route to the big show. Can't wait for your trip write up. Have dreamed of doing the same trip myself.
Fly safe and good luck.:)

Awesome! I would say "if you need a place to stay in Oshkosh..." but I have a feeling I know where you'll be staying. :cool:

Off to a great start. Fog at VanAire (CO12).
Probably wont get in the air till 1000.
First stop is Syracuse KS, then Gymon, OK --Dalhart, TX-- Farmington NM--Page AZ--Cedar City UT--Tonopah NV---- overnight at Lake Tahoe CA.

Wishing for clear sky.

Joel

Last edited:
First stop is Syracuse KN, then Gymon, OK --Dalhart, TX-- Farmington NM--Page AZ--Cedar City UT--Tonopah NV---- overnight at Lake Tahoe CA.

Just a few minutes west of Lake Tahoe is Cameron Park, O61-------you are welcome to drop in and spend the night.

Day 1 Update

Hello Folks. I'm Dan and will be helping Joel by providing updates for him and helping put him in touch with those kind souls offering a cot and a cup of coffee.

Stay tuned....RV is out of the hangar and "007" will be departing shortly.

Dan

What a great trip!

Having just completed a rather epic 7250 nm trip of my own in my -6, I know some of what you're feeling, and I know what you WILL feel once it is accomplished.

Congrats! And, go for it!

Gents

Joel is on his way and presently flying to Dalhart TX from Gymon, OK. If you see an RV4, N85007, polished with Stars & Bars say hello, I doubt he'll be on the ground anywhere very long except to camp for the night. He hoped to make Lake Tahoe tonight but due to his late start it's doubtful.

In case anyone may want to possibly meet up with Joel on his journey his itinerary follows: Departed Van wire Skyport CO12
Syracuse, KS 3K3
Gymon, OK GUY
Dalhart, TX DHT
Farmington, NM FMN
Page AZ PGA
Cedar City Utah CDC
Tonopah, Nevada TPH Stead RTS
Lake Tahoe, CA TVL (hopes to spend tonight)
Pendleton, Oregon PDT
Walla Walla Wash, ALW Martin S95
Lewiston, Idaho LWS Craigmont S89
Billings, Montana BIL
Sheridan, Wyo SHR
Buffalo,South Dakota 9D23 Aberdeen ABR
Fargo, NBD FAR
Moorland, Minn JKJ Fergus Falls FFM
Sioux, Iowa SUX Storm Lacke SLB
Nebraska City, NE AFK Fall City FNB
Branson, Missouri BBG PLK
Pine Bluff, Arkansas PBF
Tallulah Louisiana TVR
Hattiesburg, Miss PIB Picayune MJD
Mobile,m Alabama 1R8
Ferguson, Florida 82J
Athens, Georgia TOC
Henderson, SC OA7
Asheville, NC AVBL FQD
Elizabethton, Tenn OA9
Lonesome Pine, Virginia LNP
Pikeville, Kentucky PBX
Fairmont, W Virginia 4G7
Hagerstown, Maryland HGR
Wilmington, Delaware ILG
Trenton, NJ N87
Waterbury, Conn4B8
Providence,m RH SFZ
Minuteman, Mass 6B6
Rochester, NH DAWSanford Seacoast, Maine SFM
Montpelier, Vermont MPVWhitford, NY B16
Meadville, PA GKJ Titusville G61
Wentzlen, Ohio 15G
South Bend Michigan, 3TR
Valpoaraiso BVPZ
Lake in the Hills, ILL 3CK
Oshkosh OSH

He's going to be one tired gent on arrival at OSH so hopefully there may be some cool refreshment waiting. His hopes are to arrive Friday, the 25th but as we all know weather is always an unknown far in advance.,

Gents

These old eyes must be failing.

Re Joel's itinerary:
After Rochester NH add Sanford Seacoast, Maine SFM
After Montpelier Vermont add Whitford New York B16

because I have nothing better to do:

USplan.JPG

48 State Flight

Good evening all

Updating the status of Joel Sidell. Joel has safety landed at Dalhart Texas, Farmington New Mexico and Page Arizona.

He is now in route to Cedar City Utah and it appears due to his late start this morning because of weather he will probably pitch his trusty tent and spend the night in Cedar City.

All is going very well but he experienced some high but manageable winds at Page. He appears to be enjoying the trip immensely.

More later when Joel checks in.

Gents

As expected Joel has decided to over night at Cedar City Utah. The adventure continues in the morning. Stand by.

Joel,

Please make a stop at the Eagle's Nest display (outside the Homebuilt Hangar.) We love for the kids to meet people who have done significant things in aviation, and this sure will be one of them! We will be there most all week, at least through Thursday.

Have a great flight!

Bob Kelly

Here I am in Cedar City UT. Battled rain wind and low ceilings through KS,OK,TX yesterday. Looks like I'll be playing TFR pinball in OR and WA. I hope to get thru WY today. Thanks for the support from everyone.
Onward!

Joel

Northwest TFRs

You should check the ceilings of our TFRs. My experience is most of them are below 10,000. Easy peezy to get over and less smoke. It is probably the minimum altitude you want to be anyway on a warm afternoon on the high desert, unless you enjoy getting your a$$ kicked.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone

Just received a report from Joel on his 48 state trip. Joel had a leisurely stay in a motel last night at Cedar City Utah and departed this morning for Tonopah Nevada. He must have determined it was too to for his trusty tent.

He did report after leaving Tonopah this morning, climbing to 11,000 feet and after a period of time he did experience what appeared to be ignition problems. The engine started running quite rough etc.

However, all returned to normal quickly and after landing at Lake Tahoe,
Joel inspected all mag wires, ignition connections etc and everything appeared normal. Running the engine again showed nothing unusual.

Joel reports his next leg to Pendleton Oregon has numerous TFR's and restricted areas to deal with which obviously will slow his progress. I expect to hear from him again in approximately 3 hours.

He continues to be thrilled with the trip and having a wonderful time.....

Stay tuned

He did report after leaving Tonopah this morning, climbing to 11,000 feet and after a period of time he did experience what appeared to be ignition problems. The engine started running quite rough etc.

However, all returned to normal quickly and after landing at Lake Tahoe,
Joel inspected all mag wires, ignition connections etc and everything appeared normal. Running the engine again showed nothing unusual.

flying over water or remote, rough terrain will cause an engine to run rough. It's a fact.

Good evening

Just heard from Joel who after landings at Pendleton Oregon and Walla Walla Washington just landed in Lewiston Idaho for the night. All is well and no more rough engine problems.

Tomorrow's first stop will be in Billings Montana 476 miles down the road.

Stay tuned

Lots of heavy smoke between Idaho and Billings. Go high you should find clear sailing.
If you need to stop early Townsend(8u8) has $5.10 gas.

Safe travels Joel

48 state flight to Oshkosh

Good Afternoon

Update on Joel Sidell's 48 state flight:

Joel spent last night in Lewiston Idaho and after a good rest headed for Billings Montana for a quick stop and then on to Sheridan Wyoming.

He just called from Sheridan advising all is going very well and next stop is Aberdeen South Dakota.

Stay tuned

Tennessee

If Joel needs an overnight in Tennessee he is welcome at 5TN4. We have a house and hangar available.
Good Luck!

Good evening all

I just received a phone call from Joel in Branson, Missoujri. Joel began his day in Fargo North Dakota and then on to Fergus Falls Minnesota, Sioux City Iowa, Tekamah Nebraska and ending up in Branson.

Joel's been dealing with high winds and heat all day but all is going well and he's anxious to continue in the morning.......

Stay tuned

48 state strip update

Good afternoon all

Just heard from Joel who is presently at the Ferguson airport , Pensacola Florida.
Joel's route took him from Branson Missouri to Pine Bluff Arkansas, Tallulah Louisiana, Hattisburg Mississippi, Mobile Alabama and on to Pensacola.

All continues to go smooth.

First stop tomorrow will be Athens Georgia.

Stay tuned

Just occurred to me...this is a nearly classic case of the Traveling Salesman optimization problem, except he can choose which location to visit in each stop (state). Added real time constraints of weather, TFRs, etc.

Surely a VAFer could devote a supercomputer cluster to speed him along? :rolleyes:

48 state trip update

Good evening all

Joel had a very late start from Pensacola this morning due to weather problems.

However, this afternoon he was able to fly to Athens Georgia, Anderson South
Carolina, Ashville North Carolina and ending up in Elizabethton Tennessee for the night.

All is well with no problems other than the weather this morning.

Stay tuned

Good evening all

Joel had a very late start from Pensacola this morning due to weather problems.

However, this afternoon he was able to fly to Athens Georgia, Anderson South
Carolina, Ashville North Carolina and ending up in Elizabethton Tennessee for the night.

All is well with no problems other than the weather this morning.

Stay tuned

Hi Ron,
If you have any live track of 007 please advise when he is passing by PA, NJ, NY I want to intercept him and prove to our readers that he is real :)

Note to Vlad

Vlad

Sorry but we do not have any live tracking.

Joel mentioned last evening he hopes to make many landings today and there is a very slight possibility he may make Trenton NJ this evening. Realistically I suspect he'll land at Trenton tomorrow.

I'll be glad to pass on your phone number to Joel if you like. If so e mail me at n693w@ comcast.net. You and Joel may be able to join up .

Joel is presently on his way to Lonesome Pine, Virginia, then on to Kentucky.

Ron

48 state flight

Good evening again gents

The daily update on Joel Sidell's 48 state flight finds him over nighting in Cumberland Maryland.

Joel started off this morning from Elizabethton, Tennessee with his first stop at Lonesome Pine Virginia, He then continued to Pikeville Kentucky, Fairmont West Virginia and on to Cumbertland.

Joel experienced some inclement weather which has slowed progress considerably.

If anyone would like to meet Joel at Oshkosh he will be camping at the same spot he's camped for many many years.

His campsite is on the south section of the field just west of the aircraft repair facility.

After crossing the north south paved road on the west side of the repair facility you'll find a fence easily crossed and just to the left you'll see a shower trailer,

Just to the west of the shower is a very large tree with many tents and his tent will be the one with the Colorado flag flying. He'll be the one with the big smile on his face.

I'm sure he will also be attending the various RV events but feel free to stop by. I'm sure he'll have some cool refreshments waiting.

At this point I do not know where his airplane will be parked......

Stay tuned

Ron

Ron, if joel wants to meet up with some rvs when passing thru Connecticut area let us know. Will buy lunch. Block island is a good place, but there are many choices. Pm me for my # and we can talk. :)

Ed

Just tried to PM you using Turbo, Turbo Eddie and Ed D'Arcy none of which were successful.

Obviously I'm using the the wrong address. Any help will be appreciated.

Ron

Status of 48 state adventure by Joel Sidel

Good evening all

Today was a long but productive journey for Joel.

This morning Joel's first stop was Oakland Maryland and then on to Wilmington Delaware, Montclair New Jersey, Waterbury Connecticut, Providence Rhode Island, Stow Mass, Rochester New Hampshire and ending up in Sanford Seacoast Maine.

As before all is going well and the trusty RV4 never misses a beat.

Joel is hoping he'll be able to reach Oshkosh tomorrow evening....Lots of miles but long legs between the final 8 stops......

Stay tuned

Joel's trip a success

Good afternoon
Gents

Just received a call from Joel advising he's just taking off from Lake In The Hills, Illinois and he'll be touching down at OSH in less than hour.

Today Joel stopped at Rutland Vermont, Fulton NY, Meadville PA, Wadsworth Ohio, Niles Michigan, Valparaiso Indiana, Lake in The Hills, Illinois and in just a short time Oshkosh.

Time to celebrate........

GREAT JOB JOEL. WELL DONE.

Very, very cool.

Let us know statistics of flight like elapsed days, flying hours, and miles.

Definitely a bucket list item for me but would probably spread over longer time. My butt and bad back would be sore.

Need special parking place at OSH and award for longest flight to go to OSH with out leaving the US.

Amazing, congratulations to Joel. I hope he gets some kind of certificate or award at Oshkosh. Maybe Paul Dye can interview him for a Kitplanes article.

Nice! Keep us in the loop!

Has anyone ever done this?

Too bad we did not have additional warning, we all could have helped with an APRS radio and a blog like www.wordpress.oshin48.com

Free.

At least keep your log on a computer Maybe here at VAF. check out HOW TO USE THE 'MY RV BUILD PROJECT' SECTION

at

VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project

CC

I did it in 1992. Landed in all 48 states. As I recall it was 68 hours in a Beech Travelair. Did it in 10 days. One of the best times of my life!

Back