What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the size of the RV-12 pitot tube?

Top Cat

Well Known Member
Looking at buying a pitot tube cover for a new RV-12. Sporty's has a couple that should be suitable, but one is a 5/8" and the other is a 3/4". $8.95.

Does anyone know which would be best?

Or, does anyone have one they'd recommend?

Thanks!

Also, how many fuel drain points are there? Wondering also which is the best pre-flight fuel drain tester.

Last edited:
Made one out of a few scraps. Some plastic tube, a short plug to go in the end of the tube (drilled a tiny hole in it first) and a `remove before flight' tag I picked up somewhere. Also added some red and white electrical tape streamers. Very cheap, looks fine and does the job.

Thanks for the info and tips.

Thing is I'm picking up an RV-12 so I want to buy a pitot cover to take with me, for the flight home.

It is 5/16 inch OD and projects only 1 inch from the spinner.
So a piece of soft flex tubing 1/4 inch ID will work.

I cover the pitot tube with a red vinyl cap. I poked a pin hole in the end to prevent pressurizing the pitot system when sliding the cap on. Not only does the cap keep bugs out, it does not hurt as much when you bump into the pitot tube.
Joe Gores
silicone-caps.png

Make sure that whatever you use for a pitot tube cover is large enough to be seen and not forgotten during your preflight inspection. A streamer or such will do the job.

I cover the pitot tube with a red vinyl cap. I poked a pin hole in the end to prevent pressurizing the pitot system when sliding the cap on. Not only does the cap keep bugs out, it does not hurt as much when you bump into the pitot tube.
Joe Gores
silicone-caps.png

Where can you buy caps like that?

Gee, I don't know. I save stuff in case I ever need it. I need to clean out my garage so that my kids will not have to do it when I die. :D
Joe Gores

Make it a loose fit. I remember a thread where a guy loosened up his pitot tube by repeatedly installing and removing a tight cover. I use a bright green tennis ball.

Go into any ACE Hardware in the country. Look for the little (yellow in a lot of instances) plastic bins that contain the specialty hardware. The stuff that is different from your standard nuts and bolts. They always have them in these little specialty bins. Those are technically called 'thread protectors' and come in a bunch of different colors and sizes. About .50-cents each, for that larger size.

Yeah, thanks guys. I found some ?" thread/screw protectors for about $0.92.

I can buy a Do Not Remove Streamer for a couple of bucks to hang on it too.

I've got the inlet plug protectors on order from Bruce's Covers too.

BTW folks?big thanks from a newbie to all the VAF people here who are very quick to help and answer questions.

I'm getting more excited everyday now as I get closer to becoming the owner of a brand new RV-12 SLSA!!

Back