What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 Tailwheel & Rudder Repairs / Bob Avery & Jay Pratt

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
When Bob Avery and Jay Pratt get together... well, things happen!

Bob Avery took the worn out tailwheel assembly to his shop and returned a few days later with a custom engineered replacement. We're indeed fortunate to have Bob and Avery Tools on the same field as the RV-1 restoration at Jay Pratt's "RV-Central". Not sure Bob feels the same, but we're really glad he hasn't learned to say no.

And then there's Jaybird... if you blink your eyes or turn your head for more than a minute, Jay Pratt has completed a job that takes an average man an hour or more. In about 30 minutes Jay had the rudder off, cut the fabric from the damaged area at the bottom, repaired the bent tubing, and re-covered the area to like new condition.

From this...
DSC_0721x.JPG

-
To this...
_DSC2445.JPG

Bob and Jay are but two of the many skilled craftsmen responsible for restoring the RV-1 to airworthy condition.
In recent posts you've seen the handy work of some of them... stay tuned, more are coming your way!

Donate_x1.png

Last edited:
Keep those pics and stories about the -1 coming.

Keep up the good work guys. The whole RV world is watching. :D

The whole RV world is watching. :D

We'd love to get the whole RV World doing just more than watching! We fully understand that it's hard to participate hands-on at this point unless you are within a reasonable distance of the DFW area, and most of the sub-assembly work for the restoration is being provided by our wonderful vendor community. But once we get into the operational phase of the program, the airplane will be flying around the country, and we hope that everyone will have a chance to see and touch the plane - but more importantly, help with event staffing, housing and logistics. And when it comes right down to it, if you want to contribute - to give something back to honor the man who started it all - you can visit the RV-1 web site and donate. That will definitely help us move the airplane around the country fro all to see!

Paul

But once we get into the operational phase of the program, the airplane will be flying around the country, and we hope that everyone will have a chance to see and touch the plane - but more importantly, help with event staffing, housing and logistics.
Paul

If you plan on attending any events in the Sacramento area, I am in for whatever support efforts needed.

Golden West fly in comes to mind;) http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/

Golden West might just work into the schedule

If you plan on attending any events in the Sacramento area, I am in for whatever support efforts needed.

Golden West fly in comes to mind;) http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/

Mike,
The timing look perfect for fitting Golden West into the tour schedule. Joe Blank is our West Coast Coordinator for the tour, so I'll make sure he knows you've volunteered to help.

Here's a very general schedule for the tour. If folks have suggestions of events (fly-ins, EAA meetings, etc.) that fit into this generalized schedule and you are willing to help with some on-site logistics, please drop me a line at Hose 'at' DrKarst.net.

Regretfully, it will not make it to all regions of the country (like my beloved Southwest), so everyone needs to make it to Oshkosh this year to welcome it into the EAA museum.

RV-1 VERY GENERAL AND TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
FEBRUARY

Texas (test flights and local events)

MARCH
Southeast U.S.
3/27-4/2 ? SUNnFUN, Lakeland, Florida

APRIL
Southeast and Mid-Atlantic US

MAY
Upper Midwest US and eastern Canada

JUNE
6/2-3 ? Northwest RV Fly-In, Scappoose, Oregon (?)
6/8-10 ? Golden State Fly-In, Marysville (?)
6/23-24? (Alternate 6/30-7/1)- Langley, BC

JULY
July 11-15 ? Arlington Fly-In, Arlington, Washington
July 25-31 ? EAA AirVenture, Oshkosh, WI

NW RV Fly-in

Louise,
The NW RV Fly-in is usually the Saturday of Father's Day weekend, so that would be June 16th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate better in 2012. Last June only one RV managed to fly-in, IFR to minimums, but a good time was still had by all who squeezed in to my hanger to eat burgers, hanger fly, and check out the RV's tucked in other hangers nearby.

The Virginia Regional Festival of Flight is April 28 and 29, 2012, and its held at the Suffolk, VA airport (SFQ). It probably isn't an accident that you're planning to have RV-1 in the area then, but I'd just like to encourage you to attend the fly-in - without a question it is the best Virginia has, with active EAA Chapter participation as well as participation from every aviation group out there from the 99s to VA Department of Aviation (very supportive agency), and the FAA.

I am based near Richmond, VA and would be glad to put a pilot and crew up with room and board (big house with all 4 kids having moved out). I'd also be willing to work with you on figuring out where you might stop around the state to show the plane off.

...and if you're inclined to take a day off from flying, you might be able to coerce me in to driving to the Udvar-Hazy museum, again. It's about 2 hours away (a bit less if traffic cooperates).

The Virginia Regional Festival of Flight is April 28 and 29, 2012, and its held at the Suffolk, VA airport (SFQ). It probably isn't an accident that you're planning to have RV-1 in the area then, but I'd just like to encourage you to attend the fly-in - without a question it is the best Virginia has, with active EAA Chapter participation as well as participation from every aviation group out there from the 99s to VA Department of Aviation (very supportive agency), and the FAA.

Don,
Thank you for volunteering to help out. I've put the VA Regional Festival on the tentative calendar and sent you an email message.

Louise,
The NW RV Fly-in is usually the Saturday of Father's Day weekend, so that would be June 16th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate better in 2012. Last June only one RV managed to fly-in, IFR to minimums, but a good time was still had by all who squeezed in to my hanger to eat burgers, hanger fly, and check out the RV's tucked in other hangers nearby.

Thanks, Bill. I've adjusted the date on our working calendar. That timing would be even better. However, the RV-1 will NOT be flying in IMC so your task is to make sure the weather cooperates!

Back