What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Owning an RV-6/6A without a hangar

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
Obviously a hangar would be best for plane storage, but would an RV-6/6A be Practical to operate off a tie-down in New England? Would it do as well as a typical Cessna or Piper on a tie-down? Of course, it would be protected by a cover, but are there any known water leaks or traps in the airframe? Would it make a difference if it was a -6 vs a -6A?

Slider or tip-up? The sliders can leak at the front of the canopy because the canopy slants forward at the intersection with the wind screen. Mine drips there, but my son's does not. His has a rubber weather-stripping seal, mine does not. It all depends on how that interface is fabricated. None seem to be the same.
A cover does not seem to help because the water still wicks through, even if you apply waterproofing spray.
Other than that, it will weather outside just like a Piper or Cessna.

I would make sure that the fuselage has drain holes to eliminate moisture. They aren't in the plans, up to the builder.

Oh, good thought. I knew that tip-ups could introduce water As they're opened. I didn't realize it might just leak, but as you say it depends on how well the seal is fabricated.
Sounds like a good idea to fashion some weep holes.
Yeah, most covers I've used have been more or less permeable. I think the solution there is to use a plastic over-cover if it can be well fitted and fastened.

Slider or tip-up? The sliders can leak at the front of the canopy because the canopy slants forward at the intersection with the wind screen. Mine drips there, but my son's does not. His has a rubber weather-stripping seal, mine does not. It all depends on how that interface is fabricated. None seem to be the same.
A cover does not seem to help because the water still wicks through, even if you apply waterproofing spray.
Other than that, it will weather outside just like a Piper or Cessna.

-6 or -6A matters too... A -6 Slider will leak less than a -6 Tip-Up, and a -6A Tip-Up will leak less than a -6A Slider, due to the change in attitude on the ground.

For either, maybe a strip of the vinyl that people stick temporary designs up with (no adhesive, just a really smooth surface on one side that likes to stick) would be a good idea. Just get one 6" wide or something like that, and lay it over the canopy opening when you park. Then put your normal canopy cover over top of that to make sure the wind doesn't lift the vinyl.

Make sure there?s a drain hole in the lower fiberglass rudder bottom.
Mine filled up after 3 days of rain. Could freeze at altitude causing rudder imbalance/flutter.

My observation in New England (Fitchburg), is that the planes in hangers last longer/better because they are flown more regularly. This morning I flew my -4. The only folks I saw flying were guys in hangers. Most of the planes outside were still covered with snow.

When I kept my Citabria outside, it was much "harder" to make the effort to keep it shoveled out, deal with pre-heat, etc. As a result, I flew less in the winter - despite the beautiful days like today.

If you keep it outside, but fly it at least weekly, it will probably be fine. (I'll let others weigh in on whether or not it needs to be primed.:))

Good luck,

Dean

Oh, good thought. I knew that tip-ups could introduce water As they're opened. I didn't realize it might just leak, but as you say it depends on how well the seal is fabricated.
Sounds like a good idea to fashion some weep holes.
Yeah, most covers I've used have been more or less permeable. I think the solution there is to use a plastic over-cover if it can be well fitted and fastened.

Plastic might attract dirt. Wind blows and rubbing back and forth on the canopy will scratch it.

I have an Aero Covers on my RV6 from Aero Covers located in Canada. Cheaper and made better than Bruce's, total customer support if you have any issues. Just add a www and com to get their website.

Oh, my RV6 is parked outside here in Alaska, hanger rent is minimum $1000 a month in Kenai.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

parking outside

I have a 9A parked outside and it's not bad at all. Things I did:
I poured water into the rear fuselage and drilled a drainhole wherever it collected. The lowest point is below the seats.
I fabricated a cover that extends from forward of the firewall to well aft of the tip up rear window. The cockpit stays dry.
I use packing foam to plug the cowling openings.
I use corrosion-X or similar monthly on the explosed control surface hinges.
I use the antisplat gust lock supplemented by an additional aileron gust lock.
I bought a portable light weight generator to run power tools.
My airport is very tolerant of working on the plane on the ramp. I'd recommend talking with them about it to find out what they will allow you to do. I started final assembly outside and was progressing OK but lucked out when someone lent me his hangar for a few months to get finished.
My plane was painted before it went to the airport.

Plastic might attract dirt. Wind blows and rubbing back and forth on the canopy will scratch it.

I have an Aero Covers on my RV6 from Aero Covers located in Canada. Cheaper and made better than Bruce's, total customer support if you have any issues. Just add a www and com to get their website.

Oh, my RV6 is parked outside here in Alaska, hanger rent is minimum $1000 a month in Kenai.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

+1 and more on this comment about Aero Covers. John and his daughter are fantastic people to work with and produce an absolutely top-quality product. Their customer service is what sets them apart - truly "above and beyond".

When I needed a slight modification made to my cover I called them up and spoke with John's daughter (sorry, her name escapes me at the moment). When I told her that I needed to make a modification she asked a couple of questions then said, "Oh, I remember sewing your cover and I've got the template right here. Just mark in pencil where you want that change made and send it back, I'll have it fixed up and shipped out to you the day I get it."

True to her word, the cover came back with the modification exactly as I had requested, and it was indeed shipped back to me the same day they received it in their shop. I couldn't be happier. (Except maybe if I made a commission every time I recommend their product! LoL)

Note the US/CAD exchange rate heavily favors the US$ so buying from AeroCovers is economically advantageous for US customers.

http://aerocovers.com/

Yikes, $1k and I thought Boston hangars were expensive! Good to hear there are good experiences and practices with outdoor storage.

By plastic cover, I meant a light plastic tarp over the normal cloth cover. I'll definitely keep Aerocovers in mind.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Covers

I've stored my 6A tip-up on the ramp in Baton Rouge, LA for 6 years. I have 3 covers over the canopy to keep the avionics dry. I put a light weight travel cover on first. Then, I tie a 6' by 8' plastic tarp over the travel cover for water proofing. Then, I put a heavy Bruce canopy cover to hold everything down and protect the tarp from UV breakdown. This has worked well in keeping my panel dry.

I've also drilled drain holes in the fuselage and rudder bottom. And, I bought a Bruce cover for my Sensinich ground adjustable prop.

UV does a number on paint, but most of my plane is polished. I'm able to remove parts and take them home for repainting. I used Dupont Vari-prime on the interior side of everything before assembly which seems to be keeping corrosion at bay. Other than that I just keep everything well lubed.

My biggest concern is hail or another plane breaking loose in a storm and crashing into mine. John

Last edited:
Speaking of corrosion, it occurs to me that when I had my C172 parked outside that I used to fog the interior structures with Corrosion-X. I would do same with an RV-6. Corrosion-X or ACF-50 (or similar bi-polar molecular coating) treatment is effective and in some ways superior to anti-corrosion barrier paints. It is lighter weight, easier to apply, weeps in between metal parts, and doesn't scratch or chip.

I've stored my 6A tip-up on the ramp in Baton Rouge, LA for 6 years. ...I used Dupont Vari-prime on the interior side of everything before assembly which seems to be keeping corrosion at bay. ...

Back