- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-20-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello RV4Ever,

Unless I am mistaken, what you are describing is commonly referred to as split-com mode.
e
No, thatís not what he wants. He wants to select between com 1 and com 2, AND close the PTT circuit, by pushing one of two stick mounted switches. He wants to listen to both radios simultaneously.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Most audio panels will support an on-stick momentary switch contact to swap radios for transmitting. I'm not sure if you've evaluated this solution vis a vis your perceived requirements, but for most operations it is often sufficient.

If you do opt to build your own system, you will want to use a multi-pole relay to switch both Mic Hi & Mic Lo between radios. Wire it such that in its normally "relaxed", unenergized state, Mic Hi and Mic Lo are routed directly to COMM 1 to ensure you have a fail-safe design. PTT #2 would be wired in parallel to the coil of the mic switching relay and the PTT input of COMM 2 such that actuating the PTT #2 switch both routes mic signals to COMM 2 and keys the COMM 2 transmitter. Use a relay with high-quality gold contacts and make it easily replaceable because it WILL need to be replaced over time. A relay that uses a standard socket base is your best bet so you can just pop a new relay in without having to mess with wiring (and always carry a spare relay).

If you use an audio summing junction you will find it much easier to balance the headphone volume levels between radios by using the volume control on each radio. Don't just tie the two headphone hi signals from the two radios together as that will provide less-than-optimal results.

Frankly, if you're using the radios so intensively that you have to have two PTT's I would be very worried about doing this while actually flying the airplane, especially in formation. This sounds like a recipe for distraction-related incidents. OK, I guess I've got my soapbox out again, haven't I? LoL
Perfect - thanks Canadian_Joy.