What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna choice, why one over another?

BrianDC

Well Known Member
So I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but wanted a sanity check. For Comm antennas, is there a reason someone would chose one brand / style over another?

I get that a bent-whip is needed if belly mounted, but between the bent-whip are there specific specs I want to look at when comparing between one mfg vs another (deltapop vs comant vs rami)? Do most people just chose based on cost or look?

I'm understanding that a blade-style comm antenna is really for much faster aircraft and there really isn't a reason to consider a blade comm antenna unless you really want a specific look?

Just making sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thanks!

I'm confident that you will quickly get several responses that say you must buy one of the most expensive antennas, or you'll never be able to get clearance to leave the ground. And I might do that, if I were entering a big-$-award competition held on an antenna range and measured with mega $ test gear. But I'm not.

If installation is done right, and the feed lines are done right, you can make a comm antenna from a length of stainless welding rod and a bulkhead connector, who's performance will be indistinguishable from the highest $ antenna out there, in normal operation.

Installation and feedline fabrication will have far greater effect than antenna choice, in the universe of typical 1/4 wave antennas.

Charlie

I went for the least expensive for the type I wanted and have not been disappointed. At the time that was Rami for comm and Nav and Deltapop for transponder.

VSWR spec is important. I like to get the best VSWR (below 1.5:1) for the lowest money. Typically the aircraft antenna specs end up being the same so PRICE ends up being the only difference once style is determined.

Love my DELTAPOP

I have a 45 bend COM on my Christen Eagle II and am installing 2 on my RV10. The reception on my Eagle is amazing and crystal clear. He was super helpful when describing the proper technique for painting the antenna

The most important factor is performance. That said, budget is also a reality for most builders.

My RV-8 came equipped with a "straight" whip on the belly. That doesn't jibe with what most install. The likely reason for my airplane's antenna choice was budget then performance. The antenna was probably not new when installed. It performed admirable.

"Which antenna is right for your airplane?" The one that works which is in your budget.

BTW: to Charlie's point, if you are into the DIY game, you can build very respectable antennas. My wingtip NAV is a DIY.

NAV antenna: http://elder.ninja/blog/p/7284

Last edited:
Just about the only ones I would suggest one stay away from is the type which uses a ceramic feedthrough and a nut inside the airplane to hold the assembly together. I've had more than one of these loosen over time or loosen enough to depart the airplane. Haven't seen one used in a new installation in quite some time (thank goodness!).

Thanks everyone. This was what I thought but wanted a sanity check. I?m leaning towards delta pop. :)

My concern with the DP antennae for VHF is that they seem to be the only manufacturer using a two screw narrow base for a 24 inch whip.

Every other antenna maker uses a much wider 3 or 4 screw base for VHF and only uses the narrow 2 screw base format for the much shorter Transponder/DME/ADSB antennae.

My concern with the DP antennae for VHF is that they seem to be the only manufacturer using a two screw narrow base for a 24 inch whip.

Every other antenna maker uses a much wider 3 or 4 screw base for VHF and only uses the narrow 2 screw base format for the much shorter Transponder/DME/ADSB antennae.

Mine have been flying for over five years. No issues yet. Like most small businesses catering to the experimental market, their support is second to none.

Mine have been flying for over five years. No issues yet. Like most small businesses catering to the experimental market, their support is second to none.

Same here, have never seen any problems with rigidity and don't consider it anything to be concerned about.

Another good experience here - I have 4 of them on my plane (2 comm, transponder and UAT) and the only problems I've ever had with them were self-inflicted.

Back