What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy software to draw electrical system

kaber56

I apologize if this thread is redundant but does anyone know of an easy software program that can be used draw up my electrical system?

Thanks

I used Visio to draw my schematic (24 B-sized pages and counting).

However, I was to do it again, I'd use a bona-fide schematic capture program.

There are some great programs out there (Altium, Eagle, OrCad, Pads), which I used at work in the past, but no longer have available, and I didn't want to spring for the three or four figure price tags.

There are some good free ones, though: KiCad, TinyCAD, EasyEDA, and others.

Advantages:
- Does a great job keeping track of all the wiring, including maintaining netlists between all components.
- Easy search of connections by user net name
- Forces you to include all connectors and other misc components
- Generates a bill of materials (often directly exportable to Mouser, Digikey, etc)
- You can build virtual cable bundles by combining individual wires into busses, helping fuselage wiring layout.

Disadvantages:
- Have to learn a new SW tool, and these tools are not easily "self discoverable"
- Have to make individual "components" for all the non-generic stuff like avionics, special relays, fuse holders, etc. This is a big job if you're going glass.
- Are constrained to their grid system and schematic presentation styles (ie, your schematic may look a bit uglier and be more confusing that you'd like)

In the end, though, the benefits outweigh the initial investment to set up the components in the system. It make tweaking and schematic management much easier in the end. YMMV.

I apologize if this thread is redundant but does anyone know of an easy software program that can be used draw up my electrical system?

Thanks
From an earlier post of mine regarding the Digikey SchemeIt online tool:

By their nature, pilots that fly on their own ruble are always looking to save a dollar here and there. Those of us building planes are usually looking for ways to do things smarter, better, and faster. Put the two together and you tend to wind up with some pretty talented people.

The time came to finalise my as-built electrical schematic and rather than try to hand-draw it a bit of searching online found DigiKey has a free, online tool that will allow you to do any number of drawings, complete with a database of electronic components so it looks just like it came from Stein!

It will export into PDF or PNG format, save it (if you're a registered user) for later use, print and even go so far as to compile a bill of materials for their own webstore, it's a pretty nifty tool all round.

Here's the website, enjoy!

And as a rough example, here's my complete electrical system after around 6 hours of research and drawing - including the first 3 hours lost after I didn't save it... :mad:You have the right side SkyView, ADAHRS, GPS and EMS modules, an Xcom VHF and a VP-X Sport as well as 2 PMag's, with all the wiring in the plane shown on the diagram.

16460096391_8d4cdc9237_c.jpg

Thanks!

To all who posted thanks for the info. I think I will try ExpressSCH. This forum is worth its weight in gold! :)

Creating Electrical diagam

I was not aware of the neat programs available when I did my new Dynon HDX based panel, including ADSB in and out. However I do know how to use spreadsheets, so I used ExCel to create a plan.

On the left side of the spreadsheet, I listed all of the component plugs, then using the columns to list each component plug pin number, the color of the wire, size of wire, and any intermediate plug or connector then on to the destination of that specific connection, whether it be to another plug or to a component such as the landing light. So each connection was shown as a row on the spreadsheet.

By listing all plugs on the left side of the spreadsheet, I could easily see where a wire started, and where it arrived.

Wiring of all of the system was easy. I just decided what plug to start with and worked my way down the spreadsheet, running one wire at a time till I had all of the wires installed in the aircraft and connected.

Another advantage of this system is that it became self checking - as I worked my way down the spreadsheet list of plugs, I would come upon wires that were already installed from another plug higher on the list, and took the opportunity to double check that wire.

The system also allows for easy trouble shooting. I keep the spreadsheet on a thumb drive in the aircraft in case of problems on the road.

It is probably not the best system, but it certainly worked well for me, and I did not have to learn any new software (old dogs and new tricks....)

Need help on Express SCH

I have downloaded and all I get is PCB. The support desk says SCH is there as feature in PCB 😏 Can anyone direct me to the basic SCH that can be used to replace my pencil ?
Signed: Digitally Challenged Larry

I have downloaded and all I get is PCB. The support desk says SCH is there as feature in PCB 😏 Can anyone direct me to the basic SCH that can be used to replace my pencil ?
Signed: Digitally Challenged Larry
If I recall, both packages are installed at the same time, but ExpressSCH is a different program... You have to start it from the Windows Start menu, not from within ExpressPCB.

If I recall, both packages are installed at the same time, but ExpressSCH is a different program... You have to start it from the Windows Start menu, not from within ExpressPCB.

Rob is correct, for the classic version. I am now downloading the plus version and will report back.
Update: the plus version enhances pcb layout only, the schematic editor is essentially unchanged.
Find it in the Windows Start menu and add a link to your taskbar for convenience.

V

Last edited:
Jump starting schematic

Used TurboCAD on my last project but don't recommend it. I hate the idea of starting over from scratch. Does anyone have a few example ExpressSCH source drawings they can share? PM me please.

Thanks!
Jay
RV-9 Builder

Each to their own

Used TurboCAD on my last project but don't recommend it. I hate the idea of starting over from scratch. Does anyone have a few example ExpressSCH source drawings they can share? PM me please.

Thanks!
Jay
RV-9 Builder

I prefer TurboCAD and find it useful for other, non-schematic uses, such as making final panel shapes with cut-outs to send to Up North Aviation for fabrication.

If you use TurboCAD make sure you have a nice size grid turned on and the lines will snap nicely into place. The "Rubber Stamp" function is easier and quicker to use than "Copy".

Personal preference, but I prefer smaller multi-sheet schematics that I can print at home on my tabloid size printer. It does need a consistent sheet-to-sheet labeling system to be created and used. I was told this was the way the Navy likes their schematics since they didn't have room for the industry standard E-size paper (34 x 44 inches) on board a carrier. :) A B-size (11 x 17 tabloid) PDF is also easier to read on a laptop screen.

If anyone is using TurboCAD, I have a sheet of symbols and a few sample sheets already made that will speed up the schematic drawing process. Private email will get you a copy.

expressSCH fuse block symbols?

any ideas where to find ready made ATC fuse block symbols 6,8,10,16,20 position etc. for import into expressSCH? have searched the custom files online but cannot locate. tried drawing and cannot maintain accurate scale from slot to slot.

Thanks!

Back