What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wig Wag wiring

Stormer

We have installed the Duckworks HID 50W landing light in each wing and we are about to order the XePulse module(12VDC) so we can have the wig wag function. Just wondering about how to wire this up and what type of switch we need so we can have the option of having them both on, both off and both wig wag. Is there also an option to turn them on individually. A wiring diagram and suggested switch would be very much appreciated.
Steve and Glen in Waterloo
RV6, getting ready to install the wings in CYKF.

Not the cheapest

There are cheaper ways to wig wag your lights, but not any simpler than
the Max pulse:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/maxdimdimmercontrola.php

I used to have the less expensive aero electric method but when I changed to
HID lights that set up wouldn't wig wag those lights. I bought the above
switch. Wiring was much simpler that the previous set up. Power, ground,
and one wire to each light (local ground at the lights). A little pricey but
worth it to me.

XePulse

I was looking for specific wiring for the XePulse and two HID 50W lights. Will the diagram from aeroelectric work for XePulse? Anybody out there with specific wiring/switches for a XePulse in their RV? Thanks.
Steve

You can spend all that extra money on those high dollar flashers if you want but this one works just fine with HID's as long as you allow them to warm up a few seconds before turning on the wig-wag mode. I think I gave $40 for mine.

I used a single three position switch OFF-ON-W/W

Just ordered one of these. Since it is totally solid state, maybe it will work. It also has a few different flash speeds to pick from.

IMG_ETHFSS-SP.jpg

Here is a crappy video I made on a phone that shows the flasher working with some HID's I had just installed on my plane.

http://youtu.be/vY7UcK6XD2s

Last edited:
AreoElectric Flasher and HID

There are cheaper ways to wig wag your lights, but not any simpler than
the Max pulse:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/maxdimdimmercontrola.php

I used to have the less expensive aero electric method but when I changed to
HID lights that set up wouldn't wig wag those lights. I bought the above
switch. Wiring was much simpler that the previous set up. Power, ground,
and one wire to each light (local ground at the lights). A little pricey but
worth it to me.

Did you try letting the bulbs warm up about 30 seconds before trying to flash them with the aero electric method? I'm asking because that is what I have and would like to upgrade to HID and wondered if my flasher will work if I turn the bulbs on and let them warm up before flashing them.

Bobby,

I did and it did not work.

The ballast does not provide the flasher relay a proper load to make the timer circuit that toggles the relay work properly.

I went in search of a wig wagger that was not load dependant. It is shown above.

Three position switch and personal experience with wig-wag flashers.

Answer to Stormer's original question: You can use a simple three position switch to select connecting the regulated +12V control output (Pin 3 of XePulse 1) to Pulsed operation input (Pin 1) or continuous operation input (pin 2). The XePulse 1 does not have the option of having each light on individually. See http://www.xevision.com/pdf/XePulse-1 wiring.pdf

I upgraded to a XePulse 1 from AeroElectric flasher in my Zodiac when I upgraded to HIDs. The AeroElectric flasher would not work with HIDs. While the XePulse does warm the HIDs before wig-wagging, my HID's would become dim after about three to four hudred hours of use, mostly wig-wagging. Also note that with the XePulse 1, both lights share a common fuse; if the fuse blows both lights loose power.

When the Max Pulse was first introduced they did not have a license to use the warm up before pulsing feature, and I was told the warm up time was very short. I don't know if they have a license for the warm up feature now or not. Again, common fused power source for both lights.

I have fried two of the Perihelion Design Wig-Wag's driving HID's. It did not take long to let the smoke out of them. Eric told me he was not going to recommend his flasher for HID's, but I have not seen this documented. Can be wired with wig-wag fuse separate from continuous duty fuse(s).

My RV-7A has LED's in the wing tips that I wig-wag and are on continuous when the HIDs are on. (Three position switch to select OFF -- Wig Wag LEDs -- LEDs and HIDs on.)

Brian -- does the flasher you are using have a continious mode input?

Regards,

You can spend all that extra money on those high dollar flashers if you want but this one works just fine with HID's as long as you allow them to warm up a few seconds before turning on the wig-wag mode. I think I gave $40 for mine.

Here is a crappy video I made on a phone that shows the flasher working with some HID's I had just installed on my plane.

http://youtu.be/vY7UcK6XD2s

Brian I tried a a bunch of different auto based flashers on my HID's till you made your original post about the Sound-off Signal ETHFSS-SP .
I watched for a while and found a used one on E-bay and snagged it for $36.00. It works just fine, is very small and light weight and I stopped looking after that.

Brian I tried a a bunch of different auto based flashers on my HID's till you made your original post about the Sound-off Signal ETHFSS-SP .
I watched for a while and found a used one on E-bay and snagged it for $36.00. It works just fine, is very small and light weight and I stopped looking after that.

I love the SEARCH function of the forum and these old threads. Just found one of the Sound-off Signal ETHFSS-SP flashers on EBay (they?re already at version3) and I got one for $18.99 and free shipping. Thanks !!

Back