What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 partial kit help / advice

Erumpeltin

I'm New Here
So I have always dreamed of building my own RV. Recently I acquired a partial RV 6 kit from a friend. It's a partially built empennage kit and a complete wing kit still in the box. As far as I can tell no fuselage parts ( haven't inventoried it fully yet). The guy I got it from said do what you want with it- build it, sell it, hang it on your wall, etc. So I am at a crossroads. Building an RV has always been a dream on mine ( an RV-8) but timing right now is not good - currently in a&p school and studying for my CFI plus working nights. And, the wife isn't too keen on the idea ( probably the biggest factor). At this point I'm many hours and prob 30,000 or more from finishing, or I could sell it to someone in a better position to build it.

Any advice?

How much would the kit as is be worth?

Thanks

Ed

It's probable that this kit will take considerably more time (which you don't have much of) to build than the more recent kits, and also that it'll cost a lot more than you're figuring right now. My vote would be to sell it for whatever it'll bring, and when the time is right and your wife is agreeable, build the airplane she approves of.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah selling was my first thought but the kid in me who used to build paper airplanes and dream of owning his own plane someday had visions of grandeur ha ha. It's a hard dream to put on hold especially if you have a piece of it in your hands.

Make sure you have a bill of sale from the previous owner of the kit so you can send it to Van's along with the builders number so it can be registered with Van's as you, the builder entitled to that builder number. In the end, Van's will issue you a bill of sale that the FAA will need.

Hmmm

My advice:-

Divorce the wife and buy a dog they are much more supportive of your building dreams!

:)

If you dream of building, take the kit and build it. Look for second hand tools, and peck away at the project as a hobby/learning experience. You'll always be able to sell it for more than you have invested, and even if you don't finish it, the skills will transfer to both your career and the next RV project.

For a new-young marriage, this would be a high risk decision, older mature relationship with the other partner that dose not care about you getting into a serious time consuming hobby.......maybe? but still......she better be on board or that dog statement above might have some weight to it. :rolleyes:

As a practical matter, building takes a huge amount of time and energy. You might consider selling yours, and buying the much more finished kit from Jesse Saint. It is a 6 also, but would move you down the road.

Selling, saving, waiting is not a bad course either. Maybe your wife wants to begin the building process.

As a practical matter, building takes a huge amount of time and energy. You might consider selling yours, and buying the much more finished kit from Jesse Saint. It is a 6 also, but would move you down the road.

Selling, saving, waiting is not a bad course either. Maybe your wife wants to begin the building process.

I agree completely! :)

Yeah, time is something I am lacking right now until I finish a&p school. Selling is my best option ( could fund my multi commercial add on) although it is hard to have it in your hands and let it go. I just have to work on getting the name changes at vans I guess. I don't have any official paperwork for it since it was donated to someone and then donated to me. Going to email vans and see what I can do.

Thanks for the responses, I should have joined this group a long time
Ago

Ed

the journey

I have learned wonderful things and talked to amazing people as I walk the path of building. a non PP kit is more of a pure blood approach to building, taking nothing away from the other paths to a flying plane. my wife is not on board with what I'm doing, I do what inspires me or I wont be who I am or the person my wife married. if the kit sits for 5 years it costs you nothing... you may gravitate to building as you accomplish previous goals and thereby put building(not necessarily completing) on your list of goals and work gradually twards it. I haven't touched my kit for 7 months as I have been working on running my business and flying and golf. I do read the preview set once a week to keep it near the front of my mind and troll here for tools and parts I need for my kit. I'm just another story and if you want to build, you will have a deeper connection with everything you fly, but if you want to fly then do so, list your goals and prioritize them and then go after them.

Back