What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Mount

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
At Sun 'n Fun when the three Judges were inspecting my plane one of them said "Can you reach that fire extinguisher back in the baggage compartment in case of an inflight emergency?" I was somewhat trapped but I said "yes" thinking if there is a fire I would get it someway. Regardless, it was not a good situation which I am sure cost me points but even worse it is an unnecessary risk. I had been carying one in the side pocket but the top came off while it was rattling around in there with the flashlight extra batteries, miniature chocks and rudder gust lock pins/RBF Flag (they are held on with internal plastic tabs - Halon RT A600 in the Aircraft Spruce catalog). Anyway after conceptualizing placement I decided that between the seats would be best. I made a little aluminum box type pedestal 1.625" high mounted it on a plate with flush screws from the bottom (into platenuts) and mounted the plate on the control tunnel cover with the existing screws. Worked out very well.
Bob Axsom

dvc000066hp.jpg

dvc000094vs.jpg

-8/8A Fire Extinguisher Location Option

In our -8A I mounted it on the back of my seat. Out of the way of both pilot and pax and I can get to it easily. Before you start drilling holes be sure to test the location and make sure it's easy to get at when you need it.

Something to be aware of though (and I still need to correct)... when my brother (a fireman) came to Houston to help us get ready for inspection, he said the extinguisher needs to be installed so the nozzle is oriented down or level, not up so debris can be lodged in the opening to block it.

050905-7.jpg

Good luck,

Last edited:
Inflight use of fire extinguisher

Has anyone ever heard of a fire extinguisher being successfully
used in a small aircraft in-flight? I plan to have one easily
accessible, probably mounted just like Jeff's.

Fire extinguisher mount in a 9 or 7?

Where are people mounting fire extinguishers in 7's and 9's? I have an Amerex 344T Halon Unit.

Hi Pete, me again.

I mounted mine on the right side baggage compartment flap linkage housing. make sure when you mount platenuts that they don't interfere with the underlying fuse structure.

In flight, the pilot can reach over and release it.

Bob Axsom's location is ok... but it might be susceptible to accidental discharge.

Make sure you amend your W&B, since you've already weighed things.

V

rv8ch said:
Has anyone ever heard of a fire extinguisher being successfully
used in a small aircraft in-flight? I plan to have one easily
accessible, probably mounted just like Jeff's.
Don't know if they have been used in flight but there are a number of stories about them being used "in taxi" and a number when they were not used with loss of the plane.

I would just as soon have one as not. Besides, they might give you an extra few minutes to get on the gound.

I just mounted mine on the doghouse that covers the high-pressure fuel pump on the injected engines. Thought about mounting between the seats but then thought someone might step on it or something. So mine is on the angled, front portion of the doghouse.

Seen others mounted on the arm rests.

Halon mounted under the right canopy rail, adjacent to the front seat. Occupies almost no usable/useful cockpit space.

Couldn't mount mine between the seats because of manual flaps. Mine is mounted to the floor left of pilot's seat.

For my -9 I've been thinking under passenger legs attached to the forward (fuel line) cover . It seems like a good location that is very easy to reach and that would be less intrusive to passnger legs than the gear weldments are on the nosewheel versions. To be sure, I'd probably re-fab the cover on that side out of thicker stock. Any thoughts on the pros or cons of this location?
Thanks.

I just used the hardware that came with it

I just used the hardware that came with it to hold the extinguisher itself. Of course I fabricated the mount box with platenuts to accept the mounting screws and flanges to pickup the existing screws on the tunnel cover between the seats. No problems with the installation since completed in 2005.

I did not save my airplane with a fire extinguisher but I did run back and get it out of my Archer one morning and put out the fire under my airport car before continuing on into work.

Bob Axsom

I simply added a doubler to the F-782A-R Cover plate and riveted it on with a plate nut. Then the extinguisher bracket was screwed to one of the F-982B-R Cover Support Ribs and the plate nut in my stiffener.

The extinguisher lies horizontally in front of the spar on the passenger side, completely out of the way but close at hand.

Never once has a passenger complained that it was in the way.

Those of you with the "Deluxe Model" might have an issue with interference from the gear leg tower but on the tail draggers this is not an issue.

Back