What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing the Wings

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I am just about to close the wings on my -8. A couple of head scratchers for those of you who have riveted in those bottom skins:

1. I have cut and dimpled for a Gretz pitot bracket. Should I rivet the backing plate to the skin before I rivet the skin to the rest of the wing? There is a lip that goes under the spar. That will limit my ability to bend the skin back and I am not sure if that will be a problem.

2. The right wing NACA vent for the passenger ventilation: As I understand it, this is prosealed in place (as opposed to riveted). Should I do that now, with the wing skin off (very convenient) or will it interfer with bucking the rivets in the vicinity?

3. I am assuming that the bottom skin junction near the tank should be shaved for a smoothing joint the same way the top skin was shaved. Correct?

Thanks in advance for the usual wisdom I get here--nothing beats having done it before (or as my old chief used to say, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement.")

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wings
San Ramon, CA

1) If you plan to rivet in the pitot mast, just do it along with the skin. When you get to that bay, just rivet it in with the skin, but lay it aside till you get there. You will be holding the skin up, etc during riveting and the mast will be in the way. Note: I installed a SafeAir pitot mast, which is about the same installation, but chose to put nutplates on the mount so I can get it in and out if I want. That turned out to be pretty easy. You could also rivet it in after the skin is complete, by reaching in through the bellcrank access panel, either way should work fine.

2) Save the NACA vent till later; however, go ahead and prepare the skin for bonding by roughing up the area where the proseal goes for better adhesion.

3) Yes.

Back