What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Findest the best combination...

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...of cheap fuel, some flying, and the most fuel remaining when I return.
Here are some screen grabs of a little spreadsheet project I'm playing around with. With the fuel prices in red, the best choice is Gainesville (KGLE), right? It gives me the 3rd highest amount of fuel remaining when I get back, and I spend the least to fill up. What did I screw up? Is there some ratio that would be a better indicator? Math hurts.

Screen grabs:

http://www.vansairforce.net/_____delete001/VAF_284 Apr. 21 19.59.jpg

http://www.vansairforce.net/_____delete001/formasd9fg8lkh.jpg

Doug, here is a spreadsheet I used before switching to autogas:

fuel cost, Excel file

fuel_cost.jpg

This is assuming no wind to impact ground speed (mpg).

Last edited:
Normalize

Hi Doug,
One thing to suggest is to normalize the cost of going to other nearby airports with just getting the local gas.
We are used to comparing prices, for example "gas here is X percent cheaper than at home". To normalize the entire cost of the trip+what you are left with at home, will offer you a similar way to compare the options.

Example:
Say you have 20 gallons in your tanks. Going to airport XXX to fill up and back, will cost you $100 and you are left with 30 gallons upon return.
At the same time, you could have just bought 10 gallons at your local airport for $50. Now you can compare the $ amounts.

The value of the trip (beautiful views, heck your're flying!) is of course not taken into account, but this is accounting after all ...:cool:

So in this case, the trip is 100% MORE expensive for the same result in the tanks.

Just a suggestion.

Hi Doug,
One thing to suggest is to normalize the cost of going to other nearby airports with just getting the local gas.

That is what my spreadsheet calculates, the final cost/gal compared to the cost/gal at my home airport.

I found that unless another airport's fuel was much cheaper than at home that no money will be saved. At best it might work out to where a particular flight to another airport is nearly "free"....and that can be incentive enough. :)

[ed. Amit and Sam,

Thanks for the spreadsheet (Sam) and normalize thoughts (Amit). Gas around me (DFW) can be anywhere from 50 cents cheaper per gallon to as much as $3.60 more per gallon. Dozens of airports around me with gas ranging from $3.50 to $7.50/gal.

And, I'm buying for two airplanes. I fly a Cub also, and use the RV to 'ferry' fuel back to it 12 gallons at a time. 50 cents cheaper a gallon can add up to real money quick if I'm going flying anyway.

I'm enjoying playing with the numbers.

v/r,
dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a spreadsheet too, calculating rates and such for AVL and the common cheap stops in the area.

All the pilots at AVL beef about the high gas price (and it is!) but I was chagrined to find out (through the spreadsheet results) they had priced the fuel perfectly to balance against going away to buy fuel.

It has relieved some feelings of being stiffed when I have to top off my tanks at the home field.

Fortunately, one of the cheap stops is right in line with my work commute so that frequently changes the equations a bit in my favor. :)

OTOH, if you are going flying ANYWAY, why not buy the cheaper fuel while you are out enjoying yourself? Maybe you get an hour of "free" flight time out of the deal.

How do you put that into a spreadsheet? ;)

Back