What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal stab Inspection clarification needed

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
OK, on the very, VERY minor chance that I do see any cracks (NONE when it was built) when I'm able to borrow a suitable borescope, just WHAT the heck am I supposed to do then? The notice says that any visibile cracks are to be "dressed". To me, that means removing material all the way to the end of the crack, not just stop-drilling it. BUt HOW am I supposed to do that without removing the stab skin??? Memory (OK, it was almost 5 years ago) says that there's no way I van get my hands, let alone a drill or file, with the skin in place. Help??

Wayne 120241/143WM

From the "notification": Step 12: If cracks are found contact
Van's Aircraft technical support for
further instructions and information.
If no cracks are found no further action is required.

MY INSPECTION

Drilled 1/2" holes in end of HS for endoscope. Worked fairly well. Can touch up plugs next paint time.

I like!!

I had my stabilator off for paint so I could inspect from the inside moving out with an inspection scope. Now it is re-installed and I do not want to take it off every year for an annual inspection.

This inspection access at the ends through a half-inch hole looks pretty good to me. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks Dave - -

If the hangar was $500 per month I would not likely fly. Not even $150 per month in Iowa. Just have to withstand super cold weather in the winter ( or go south ). 40' power door. ALL new airport in 2008.

John, how do you get through the hanger with that gigantic brain! Brilliant!!!!! Little chrome snap plugs.

Funny enough Bill - -

The plug assortment I bought at O'Reillys actually has some 1/2" Chrome ones also. The black plastic ones are flatter.

John-- how about distance back from the4 nose?

I made nice clean flat plated from .020 aluminum and riveted them over the ends of the stab-- after I got the pink slip, of course.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

Took the measurement for Keith Williams cause he did the same. My 1/2" hole is located 7 1/8" from the leading edge. Same location as John.

Chrome plugs

The aviation departments at Lowes or Home Depot have chrome plugs in various sizes used by plumbers to cover goof holes. I used 1 1/4" ones on my wheel pants to get at the tire valves without removing the wheel pants. Have used them on other planes and have never lost one yet.
Henry

Yep-- used them

to cover the holes in the belly used to torque-check the landing gear bolts at each CI.

Wayne 120241/143WM

I'm adding this post so it will show up in search - difficult to find. Service bulletin 14-05-14 RV12 horizontal stabilizer inspection end plate borescope endoscope

Endoscope hole plugs

Thanks Bill,
Is there a problem using chrome plugs on unpainted aluminum? I'm using plastic just in case.
SLane

Back