What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-1 Wings

N804RV

Well Known Member
Can anyone describe the physical differences between the -1 wings (higher aerobatic gross weight) and the older wings?

Is there something I could look at and see definitively whether or not a set of wings are -1's?

Original and -1 Wing differences

Can anyone describe the physical differences between the -1 wings (higher aerobatic gross weight) and the older wings?

Is there something I could look at and see definitively whether or not a set of wings are -1's?

Yes there are. The main difference is the top spar cap to the main spar assembly. The -1 top cap is 1/4" thicker at the inboard end. Going from memory [an iffy thing for me] I seem to remember that the original wing's top spar cap is 1.25" X 1.25" at the inboard end. The -1 top spar cap is 1.25" X 1.5" at the inboard end.
The top cap on the original wing ends even with the outboard end of the fuel tank. The -1 top cap extends out 1 bay further, into the inboard bay of the leading edge. Because of this, the inboard leading edge rib for the -1 will have a small notch on the back flange area. The ribs for the original wing leading edge are all the same. See photo below. I've circled the inboard end of my top spar cap.
Contact me via email [sign in and click on my user name to do this]. I think I can dig up some photos of my top cap. I might even have some of my buddy's -1 top cap.

TopMainSparCapcircled_zps6dd07b76.jpg
I hope this helps. I'll measure my spar cap when I get to my shop. If my dimensions are incorrect, I'll edit this post later and correct the dimensions.

Charlie

Last edited:
I can't find any information on these. Any ideas?

I found out for sure I have the -1 RV-8 wings. I got a copy of the original invoice. And I checked the thickness of the top spar caps.

Thanks for the help!

Back