What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back at it

datsclark

After a nearly two hear hiatus from building, I got back into the shop a few months ago. I had been working and living about 40 mins away from the project, so it fell by the waysides. I quit my job so I could work full time on the plane!

Actually, I quit so I could first spent 5 months riding my motorcycle around the country and Canada! This picture from a campground from Sampson State park in New York seems fitting seems fitting:
IMG_20130619_165922.jpg

And now that I'm back I've been able to build almost full time. I spent quite a while getting back into things--read: making mistakes, finding lost parts, etc. I'm back in the groove now and kicking butt.

What I've got done:
  • Sealed both tanks. Maybe because I left the project in the middle of the tanks, and picked things up there, I've had nothing but little issues with them. I bought new proseal and did the baffles, only to find leaks. After drilling one and loctiting the other, I still had leaks in the BNC. I replaced those with the sealed kind. I ended up using fuellube on the cork gaskets so I can get back in there at some point. I may proseal them way down the line.
  • Wings. Installed the leading edges. Finished my landing light mounts. Dimpled and installed top skins. Almost done!
  • Ailerons and Flaps. Completed both the flaps and ailerons! The flaps really were as easy as Vans says. The ailerons I may have messed up when I folded the trailing edge. One is perfect. One is twisted about 1/8 to 3/16s. Waiting to hear from Vans if that will be ok.

Blurry cellphone pictures of progress:

First I finished sealing the tanks.
IMG_20131112_112442.jpg

But only after find a few leaks in the baffle area. Dang it! I opened one up, And the other was fixed easily with loctite.
IMG_20131202_145547.jpg

I finished the leading edges and installed them.
IMG_20131122_095543-MOTION.gif

I worked on the ailerons while waiting for my friends and dad to help rivet the top skins
IMG_20131230_135906.jpg

Riveted the top skins. I found the offset back rivet tool worked fine. I'd say we messed up on about 1/100 or so rivets, which meant drilling out only a handful. We got better as we went along.
IMG_20140103_112400.jpg

And lastly I finished the flaps:
IMG_20140112_151918.jpg

All done:
IMG_20140113_101329.jpg

IMG_20140113_170907.jpg

Now I'd better find an EAA tech counselor to inspect my work. Anyone in the Bay Area?

I just picked back up on mine in April after a four year hiatus myself!! I've been kicking butt! It's going to the hangar this weekend!! The nice thing about taking the break is that the high tech avionics available now are even more impressive. I'm going full Skyview with my 7A.

Keep up the good work! Your pictures look great!

Congrats!

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the great post ... happy to find a NorCal/Peninsula local builder. Lemme know if you need an extra hand with anything.

-Bill

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying it.

And Larry -- I didn't get to route 66, but I'd love to someday. I did get through Rocky Mountain National Park and out Estes Park, which was one of my favorite areas on the trip!

Back