What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Sticks

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Note: OK, get your "stick" jokes out of your system, but at some point in the project, we builders just have to jump in the saddle, grab the stick, position it where it belongs, and decide whether this will feel good...or start to hurt over time. There. Now that we got the 900 lb. gorilla out of the way...

I finished my control sticks. The straight stock control sticks brought the stick and stick grip far too closely to me. Placing the elevator to neutral forced my arm to wedge between my side and the cockpit wall....numb!

Thus, I used 3/4" white PVC and my heat gun to shape a double-bended template:

FP29122013A00052.jpg

This design moved the control grip away from me at a comfortable distance. In doing so, I was careful to build space between the top of the stick and the throttle/mixture bracket and the control panel.

It would have been great to use the stock Van's straight stick pipes and just bend them into shape. However, they're so thin-walled that bending them would surely kink them. Randy Richmond (52F Van's mechanic extraordinaire) pointed me toward the solution.

Once I was happy with the PVC template design, I gave the PVC template to Randy Richmond, who turned it over to Tom Meyer of Meyer Aircraft, Double Oak, TX. Tom crafted two identical pipes of the proper Outside diameter but with thicker walls. He also left me a good 4-5 inches of excess end.
FP29122013A00054.jpg

With careful trimming and attention to the clock positions for the Infinity military-style grips, I came up with these:
FP05012014A0000O.jpg

I'm using 16-pin CPC barrel plugs from Gulf Coast to connect the stick wiring to the aircraft end. With my seat cushions and seat back pads in place (thanks Abby!), and with the stick held in position (elevators neutral), my left arm rests quite comfortably on my left leg. Throwing the stick full forward/right gives me several inches clearance between my trimming thumb and the throttle/mixture bracket.

Ahhh. I love a custom-fitted airplane. :cool:

Last edited:
Sid, I have wondered why the sticks are not offered just like you had built. It looks like a great idea to me. It puts it in a more comfortable position and fits your wrist better in my opinion. Thanks for the photos and info. I think I will do the same thing.

Sid it's very convenient for a condition inspection to have both sticks removable.

It is also nice to be able to remove the CP stick for a long cross country with the wife. Now if I could just figure out a way to remove the rudders. How about a side stick design?

Removable sticks

Sid it's very convenient for a condition inspection to have both sticks removable.

Vlad,
Yep, that's my plan. The catch is that I'll have to unbolt the bottom piece from the aileron push tube and cross tube, then disconnect the wiring cannon plug.

Vlad,
Yep, that's my plan. The catch is that I'll have to unbolt the bottom piece from the aileron push tube and cross tube, then disconnect the wiring cannon plug.

You don't have to. Leave a slack/service loop of that cable and tuck removed sticks to the floor when inspecting.

Rust-oleum metallic blue

Scroll,

Where did you have your anodizing done? I love the blue touch!

MaxRate,
Actually, it's Rust-oleum Metallic Blue rattle-can from the Home Depot Aviation Supply Department.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum...s-Rust-Metallic-Spray-Paint-7251830/100212629

Two coats, followed by one coat of Rust-oleum 2x Satin top coat.
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum...-Purpose-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-249076/202058666/

I picked this color to match my aircraft commander's commander's dress.
http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=scrollf4&project=879&category=6190&log=152744&row=7

Sid,
I love your mod. I wound up shortening my sticks quite a bit, both from a comfort point of view, but also to clear the panel and engine controls. I see you've taken the bracket into consideration, but my stick would also interfere with the throttle control itself. It will depend on how you've positioned the bracket laterally and where on the bracket you've placed the controls themselves, but something to confirm before you commit to your final configuration.
Burt

Good advice

Sid,
I love your mod. I wound up shortening my sticks quite a bit, both from a comfort point of view, but also to clear the panel and engine controls. I see you've taken the bracket into consideration, but my stick would also interfere with the throttle control itself. It will depend on how you've positioned the bracket laterally and where on the bracket you've placed the controls themselves, but something to confirm before you commit to your final configuration.
Burt

I copy all Burt, thanks.

Nice work

Scroll,

If the sticks look that good and have that kind of attention to detail, I can't wait to see the rest of the plane. Nice job.

Also, my plane utilizes the same shade of blue...but I promise, I've never met your wife:D

Back