What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat Shield Doesn't Stick

JEG

Any special technique in making the heat shield material stick to the cowling.
Thanks, John

Not sure which heat shield material you're using. If it's the self adhesive type similar to the Heat Shield Mat that we carry, you just clean the area, sand it if needed to make it smooth, cut and press to install.

For the best installation, you then run a small bead of RTV or ProSeal around the edges to seal out any oil or water infiltration.

Other types are similar, but follow any other specific instructions provided by the mfg.

Not sure which heat shield material you're using. If it's the self adhesive type similar to the Heat Shield Mat that we carry, you just clean the area, sand it if needed to make it smooth, cut and press to install.

For the best installation, you then run a small bead of RTV or ProSeal around the edges to seal out any oil or water infiltration.

Other types are similar, but follow any other specific instructions provided by the mfg.

Vince,

Will one of the smaller sizes that you offer be enough to protect the RV7 cowl? Or does it take more?

Thanks,
Sam

The smaller 1'x2' piece is usually more than enough to cut and fit to the cowl near the exhaust pipes.

Or you can use the Thermaflect tape which is 1.5" x 20' if you prefer.

The larger sheet that we sell works quite nicely to install on the engine side of the firewall. Helps prevent hot feet during normal ops, from exhaust and engine heat.

Heat Products

I use the heat shield mat and sticks great when having a clean surface to stick it down. I run a strip of 2" wide aluminum foil tape along the edges. Small repairs needed every 100 hours or so but works great. Note: there maybe better places to buy the tape, I just listed the first one that came up in a google search

Last edited:
Any special type of paint used inside the cowl?

I used the same PPG Concept epoxy primer I used for the exterior (no top coat). Works great since I can use anything to clean the inside of the cowl including acetone, MEK, etc and it does not effect the paint at all. Usually use Fantastic or Simple Green aircraft formula to wipe it clean each time I remove the cowl.

Last edited:
Epoxy primer is good, and a 2-part single stage urethane topcoat over the primer is even better.

This PPG Shopline white, with Vans reflective self-stick foil over strips of 1/16" fiberfrax felt. The fiberfrax shadows the head pipes.

32zjskz.jpg

I painted with a high temp silver reflective paint used for inside BBQ grills. Lowes or Home Depot.

On all the RV's I took part in building, we used Reynolds "Extra Heavy Duty" 35-micron thick aluminum foil, and just epoxied the foil strips to the inside of the cowl with good old West Systems 105 resin and hardener. Simple, cheap, lightweight and works great.

Paint edges

Paint the edges of the Vans foil with laminating epoxy. That will prevent the edge from lifting and also prevent oil from seeping under the foil.

Dan,

I can't tell. Are those all metal nutplates around the exhaust area or are they the Teflon type? If they are the fiber type how are they holding up under the heat?

Back