What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's homecoming 2013

sandpiper

Well Known Member
This years Homecoming is Aug. 16-18 at Independence, OR (7S5). Sign up at
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/homecoming.htp

Good turnout------I forgot to take a camera, so no photos.

I counted 7 RV 10s on the ground at the same time on Saturday.

Hopefully one of the folks who were running the shindig will jump in with the details of attendance.

Missing in action was Van himself, prior family commitments.

Had a good time talking to Rob Hickman from AFS, and drooling over his new 5800. He also gave me a great tip about upgrading my panel for IFR---and it did not even include changing to his products, just freely given knowledge without the sales pitch, much appreciated:D

Alan from Anti Splat was there, showed me his gust lock-----impressive to say the least. Light, simple, and catches all three control surfaces in one operation. Interesting character to converse with, any old motorhead or mechanical tinkerer will find a good deal of common interest and good talking with Alan.

John Stahr and his incredible RV 8 were in attendance------he wants to do a bit of "decorating" on our 10 :D

Met lots of the VAF family there, sorry about not listing them, but I am totally crappy at remembering names, so will not even try and that way I do not leave anyone out, apologies offered:eek:

As usual----my 6th or 7th year at the Homecoming------ the good folks at Independence did a great job of running the show, and the hospitality of the residents is top of the line.

For anyone thinking of going to a Homecoming, I would highly recommend it.

See y'all next year.

So, how was it?

Sorry couldn't make it but curious how many attended the homecoming event.
Any pictures?
It's pretty sad when Van Bashing " Osh booth" is more popular than the annual homecoming event.:(

Great Time for Us!!!!!!

....We just returned from the "Vans Homecoming and can honestly say we had a great weekend. No pressure, no work, good food, beautiful airplanes but most important of all, a very large gathering of the best people one could ever ask to meet. I am always amazed at any and all of these RV builders and owners. I have not met a single one that I didn't like or felt they had nothing to offer. This is very rare and speaks volumes of this special group of people. Norm & Donna Rainey were our very gracious hosts who invited us into their beautiful home and provided us with commendations for our stay. They welcomed us as if we were old friends and did everything to make our stay enjoyable and memorable, including an introduction to their friends in the air-park. We received our first RV-10 ride in norm & Donna's airplane and now we need one. Vans factory had on display all of the RV models for our scrutiny and approval. The man himself wasn't able to be there and I was somewhat disappointed in that. I was looking foreword to meeting him and thanking him for his wonderful contributions in aviation. Were it not for this man we would all be somewhere different and I doubt the place would be as pleasing as this one. I for one will be there next year for sure. If possible any RV owners considering the trip should not miss it. Thanks all, Allan

I wasn't planning on attending but when I was flying my Phase 1 hours over top and saw the place wasn't packed late Saturday afternoon I landed. It was the first showing for "Flew the Coope" and it was nice to meet Allen from ASA and some of the other builders. I definitely missed the crowd as there weren't too many left by 5pm on Saturday even though the Banquet was about to start. If my ride wasn't going to turn into a pumpkin at sunset, I would have stayed for dinner.

I would love to attend one of these some day. When I found out about it this year I had already locked in some dates for my schedule that almost guaranteed not having the time available to attend but if I could plan ahead a little more I could make it happen. Are the event dates scheduled well in advance? Who puts the event on - ie is it an independent even or sponsored by Vans?

Any pictures?
Partial view of ramp during Van's Homecoming at Independence State Airport (7S5).

2rhvhg5.jpg

Back