What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What could it be?

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I couldn't resist getting out the torch and putting my straw hat back on... What could it be? (other than pure awesomeness of course)

rcsxfo.jpg

I was thinking....

some kind of a stop ( i.e. a travel limiter for something that slides) but now I think that the tailskid idea seems like a great guess. So +1 for Spark68

It's a muffler bearing alignment tool. I use them all the time.

It's commonly used on C6 Corvettes. Mounts directly under the spare tire.

The schelbobweflagaltor is a staggered alignment offset leveler.

While originally conceived in the 1940's by maintenance mechanics at forward airstrips who had minimal support, the new SCard version takes advantage of state of the art engineering and modern manufacturing processes.

The schelbobweflagaltor is a staggered alignment offset leveler.

While originally conceived in the 1940's by maintenance mechanics at forward airstrips who had minimal support, the new SCard version takes advantage of state of the art engineering and modern manufacturing processes.

Why of course it is, and a fine one too. Constructed with aircraft 4130 tubing, treated for the ultimate in corrosion resistance and designed for one handed installation with properly secured fasteners. With it's advanced crimped and sculpted ends, it has multiple uses and is a fine addition to any builders tool box. I certainly want one, but will have to wait until that stage in my building process. (where i can figure what the heck it is used for, much like the nice Avery tool kit I got, and eventually found a use for every single tool)
:confused:

My new bullet proof rudder lock of course.
Over the last six years and 1300 hours, I've turned my fair share of stainless wire gust locks into pretzels. Some of those times I wondered if I would ever get the "gust lock" separated from the airplane, and the rudder unlocked, it was waded up so well. All the while thinking to myself that I'm insane to keep repeating a known failure condition. I finally got off my lazy butt and took an hour to fix it right. This locks it solid whereby the next failure point is the rudder stop.
For those of you with little tiny rudders, understand that the -9 and -7 rudder is Huge! It requires a substantial gust lock. I think next I'll make up some other sort of contraption for the other side :).
Yes, it was made out of the mighty pile of scrap tubing that I prepared special for Dan over the last few months.

10igoex.jpg

Gust lock

Are you going to paint it safety red with a streamer attached?

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A
N942PT
2013 dues paid

Scott...

If you had left the wing nuts on in the original picture it would have been a dead give-away...:p
Over the last six years and 1300 hours, I've turned my fair share of stainless wire gust locks into pretzels. Some of those times I wondered if I would ever get the "gust lock" separated from the airplane, and the rudder unlocked, it was waded up so well. All the while thinking to myself that I'm insane to keep repeating a known failure condition. I finally got off my lazy butt and took an hour to fix it right. This locks it solid whereby the next failure point is the rudder stop.
For those of you with little tiny rudders, understand that the -9 and -7 rudder is Huge! It requires a substantial gust lock. I think next I'll make up some other sort of contraption for the other side :).
Yes, it was made out of the mighty pile of scrap tubing that I prepared special for Dan over the last few months.

10igoex.jpg

Lock

Sure would hate to take off with that on! I need the inside one so no way to take off when in place.
Bob

Sure would hate to take off with that on! I need the inside one so no way to take off when in place.
Bob
I was thinking kinda the same thing. I'm sure that *you* would never forget to remove it, but what if you let someone else fly it?

How about something out of moderately stiff spring material, so it could be overpowered by the rudder pedals if someone (not you, of course) managed to get in the air without removing it?

Charlie
(I do like the concept; I've never come up with a good solution on my -4.)

Bob

I guess someone somewhere will say that it has happened, but I just dont get it. How is it possible to taxi to the runway without ever putting your feet on the rudder pedals? I have something similar, and did once attempt to taxi with it engaged. Didnt make it very far.

erich

10igoex.jpg

No, no I know what that is. It's an espresso machine! Hot water heater? A snow cone maker? Oh sorry... that's Arnold's guess from True Lies..

True-Lies-Wahre-L%C3%BCgen.jpg

EDIT: For lack of spelling skills.

I guess someone somewhere will say that it has happened, but I just dont get it. How is it possible to taxi to the runway without ever putting your feet on the rudder pedals? I have something similar, and did once attempt to taxi with it engaged. Didnt make it very far.
erich

Never underestimate. Once a guy took off in a Cessna 170 with the seatbelt tied around the yoke! Full up elevator and full left aileron.
He broke the airplane.

Never underestimate. Once a guy took off in a Cessna 170 with the seatbelt tied around the yoke! Full up elevator and full left aileron.
He broke the airplane.

There are some things you just simply can't fix.

Many years ago, knowing full well how dumb a smart person can get, I designed a control lock for my Cessna. It doubled as a tailwheel towbar, and the length needed for that fit nicely in with the main additional criterion as a lock: I deliberately made it so that the pilot couldn't sit in the seat if it were still installed as a control lock.

But there's nothing preventing someone from taking off with it attached at the tailwheel.... Hasn't happened yet, though. Ditto for someone using it as a control lock on the non-pilot side of the plane.

Dave

But wait....

If you put it on the bottom of the horns, it could still work as a tail skid too:D

Just add a circuit that will activate when the ignition is on and this device is in place. It should make noise, flash lots of lights and smack you.

It's a muffler bearing alignment tool. I use them all the time.

It's commonly used on C6 Corvettes. Mounts directly under the spare tire.

This would be exactly right if only the C6 had a spare.

Geez, you guys are still here yapping about this? :). It is time to go Fly!

Ok, ok -- build logistics

Scott,

What is your method to make such nice flattened areas in the tubing? I have tried using a vice, but they don't look nearly as nice as yours. Are you using heat? Is the tubing 4130, or something else?

Good work!

Rob

If you care to duplicate it I will buy one from you.

Jim Bower
RV-6A (tall tail) N143DJ
St. Louis

If you triplicate it, I'll buy one as well... if it comes with cookies!

Sorry guys, everything is for sale, but I just cranked this out for me in the shop. It really isn't worth what I would have to sell it to you for in order to cover my time.

Scott,

What is your method to make such nice flattened areas in the tubing? I have tried using a vice, but they don't look nearly as nice as yours. Are you using heat? Is the tubing 4130, or something else?

Good work!

Rob
Don't be too impressed, just quick and dirty. 4130, no heat on the squish. A vice with some jaw covers, a socket to produce the nice radius, and the end of the flat cleaned up and welded shut.

Back