What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Trip - Michigan with son.

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I was looking for some fun places to fly in nearby michigan for some short trips and had posted on vaf for some ideas. A rv8 builder/flyer named Doug Bell reached out and suggested we try his town, his resort. Manistee National Golf in beautiful manistee michigan.
Sounded great, and just a short 1.5 flight from out base in Windsor Canada. They met all the criteria, on Lake Michigan, sandy beaches, great quiet little airport, great golf, great rates, and good people.

A good flying buddy of mine, Perry Burford in his rv7 was interested in taking his grandson for the trip too. It was official, a guys trip..weather looked great so we booked it.
Woke my son up at 6am, picked up some coffee and off to load the plane. Love early morning launches! Sorry about crummy pics, camera phone doesnt do the weather, or the course justice. It was spectacular weather to fly and to golf.

Pulling the plane out as the sun is just coming up...clean fresh air...and a coffee and your kid ready to go flying. Priceless.
2wp8h6r.jpg

On the way we found cheap gas! Doesnt get much better! The two boys thought less than $5 a gallon was a big thumbs up. 48D, the manager even makes sundaes and ice cream floats for free as a thank you for stopping in. Dont you just love GA people. Unbelievable. Clare Municipal airport Michigan.
6zlkrn.jpg

Time flying with your son, letting them enjoy your hobby...awesome.
2rh46so.jpg

RV 7 crew Perry Burford and his grandson Joey refueling for more golf!
2nrlohe.jpg

A great day for flying - formation and pic chances!
16i84qv.jpg

Every hole is like a postcard...just amazing scenery. Even saw a fox wondering the course. Cool!
20hqypx.jpg

The one course, Cutters Ridge is likely the nicest course I have ever played. Bring LOTS of balls.
2ezpmc1.jpg

Doug Bell picked us up, got us to his resort, his staff took awesome care of us and then he got us back to the airport. You cant ask anymore from a quick trip. The golfing was incredible. Staying right at the resort, no driving, no cabs, just golf and eating and sleeping and eating and MORE GOLF. Great 24 hours with no stress or worries at all!

Small world, Dougs dad is a Vans legend with the Bell tail wheel. Great people, if you are looking for a fun trip in michigan Manistee is a great choice. The boys had a literally perfect adventure with Dad and Grandpa, just awesome way to share the fun of flying with the boys and have some laughs. Thanks to vans for great planes and thanks to Doug Bell and his crew for a great destination and hospitality at Manistee National Golf Resort. He loves RVs, and it seems we qualify for special pricing!! I have been to Gaylord, Traverse City etc, this was far and above the best place we have been. Will be back again. Great trip.

Last edited:
Nice write-up, Rick ....

Looks like a great trip! I think I may have flown right over you on my trip to Traverse City and back! We need to talk about rendezvous up there somewhere for lunch.

Never been there nor have I met Doug Bell but his tailwheel and customer service are excellent so I'm sure you are not exaggerating when you describe him and his hospitality.

Thanks for the report and ideas.

Doug's place is definitely worth the trip. Another possibility is Charlevoix. Most of my excursions with my wife are to northern Michigan. You can land at Charlevoix and walk into a cool Great Lakes waterfront town with great restaurants and Bed & Breakfasts. If you want to rent a car, check out Boyne City or Petoskey - very cool. And then, if you have a car, stay at the Horton Creek Inn B&B. it's a beautiful place 15 minutes from Charlevoix, Boyne City, or Petosky, and their accommodations and breakfasts are as good as you'll get anywhere. Northern Michigan is hard to beat, and if you can combine the beauty with golf, you'll want to come back.

Treetops Resort in Gaylord is nice also. About 9 different courses for all types of golfers. Cost $180 for the wife and myself to play 36 holes with cart plus a night's lodging.

Another nice trip in Michigan is Frankenmuth, there is shuttle service available from the airport to take you to town. Nice riverboat rides available and good restaurants.

48D, the manager even makes sundaes and ice cream floats for free as a thank you for stopping in. Dont you just love GA people. Unbelievable. Clare Municipal airport Michigan. .

This is just very clever marketing. You get fatter, you burn more gas, thus you buy more, and get more sundaes! Plus you tell all your friends, and voila! Instant retirement! :D

Aviation - Small World

Further to Rick Woodall's post on the Golf Trip to Manistee National Golf and Resort managed by Doug Bell in Manisteee Michigan...
My grandson Joey Burford and I (Perry Burford-RV7) accompanied Rick(RV9A) and his son Josh on this trip. Joey is still over the moon with both the golf...2 x 18 hole courses and the flyin..1.5 hours stick time for Joey each way.

The golf course was in fantastic shape- the fairways were as good as some greens I've played on, the scenery was terrific, especially the Cutter Ridge course, which was very challenging, but absolutely scenic....every hole.

But to the theme of this posting "Aviation - Small World".....
After 2 days of golf, Doug drove us back to our planes at KMBL, a lovely little airport with great, friendly GA Facilities. Naturally Doug(RV8) inspected our planes. Walking around the tail of my 7, Doug spots my tail wheel and says...."Is that one of ours?" referring to the tail wheel fork. Not knowing Doug's last name at that point, I explained that I love the fork and that I bought it a couple of years ago from a couple of guys from around here ....Michigan/Lake Michigan shore line. He said "Yes, that was me and my dad...I'm Doug Bell and that is the Bell Tailwheel Fork on your airplane". I had talked to both Doug and his dad when I ordered the tailwheel fork ....yes, aviation is indeed a small world! (filled with wonderfull airplane people like Doug Bell and his dad(who passed last year).
Perry Burford C-FGFB

Back