What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SoCal Cable to Oceanside...

pmccoy

Well Known Member
Thought I would blast up to the airport after work tonight, so I could take the RV up for a spin. My mission was to make the first flight over my house, fly out over the ocean and land down in Oceanside, California. Cable is an hour drive North of my house, so I am looking to maybe move the plane down to Oceanside, now that I am out of Phase 1 flight testing. Oceanside is just over a half hour South from where I live, but the drive is along the coast with less traffic and cooler temps then driving all the way the up to Cable.

Flying South, talking to ATC for flight following. The airspace is busy in So Cal
IMG_0827.jpg

Just past the retired El Torro air base
IMG_0830.jpg

A peak at my instruments. Going slow at only 2270 RPM. The shot of my 696 is not showing any traffic here, but I finally got the TIS to display on my 696 this flight. Yep, there is a lot of traffic flying around So Cal
IMG_0832.jpg

Getting close to the coast, and just about to fly over my house in Laguna Niguel, CA
IMG_0834.jpg

Ok, my first venture out over the beach!
IMG_0843.jpg

A bit hard to see in this photo, but ATC said the restricted airspace around Camp Pendleton was hot, and maybe this Navy Ship was doing exercises
IMG_0850.jpg

Last shot looking out to the West towards Catalina Island. What a great little trip after work. Gotta love these RV's. Oh, and it is my pleasure to finally be able to make a post in the trip write ups!!!!!
IMG_0855.jpg

Nice pictures. We had a hangar at Oceanside in a previous century. In fact, we ran the flight school there for most of 1983. Spent a lot of time flying around that area, it was a real thrill and very scenic. Of course, there is now a road where our hangar used to be.

Of course, Catalina is also a nice trip and the restaurant at the airport used to have really good buffalo burgers, if it's still there.

You mention Laguna Niguel, I went to Niguel Hills Jr. High School the year it opened, 1975 I think. Only time I ever got to go to a brand new school.

Good luck.

As of last October the restaurant on Catalina was open and serving Buffalo burger. Really cool place to fly in to. We dry camped under the wing and the airport manager left the restrooms open for us. The fog rolled in on the west end of the runway as we were landing. With the sun lighting up the fog it looked like liquid lava flowing off the the runway down to the ocean. That night was clear to the east and you could see from San Diego to Santa Barbara.

As of last October the restaurant on Catalina was open and serving Buffalo burger. Really cool place to fly in to. We dry camped under the wing and the airport manager left the restrooms open for us. The fog rolled in on the west end of the runway as we were landing. With the sun lighting up the fog it looked like liquid lava flowing off the the runway down to the ocean. That night was clear to the east and you could see from San Diego to Santa Barbara.

Yep, Catalina is on my list. But I think I need to suit up with some over water gear for that trip. The flight to Oceanside was all within gliding distance of shore. Stayed just far enough out to be clear of the Restricted airspace around Pendleton.

Neighbors

Peter,

I am located across the 5 Fwy from you in Mission Viejo. I'll be finishing up my 7A in the next few months and will be looking for a home base for the airplane. Let me know how you find the facilities at Oceanside.

John

I flew down to oceanside from SF two weeks ago. I was lucky to land as the marine layer was setting up when I got there. Cheapish fuel and a 5 dollar overnight fee.

Peter,

I'll be finishing up my 7A in the next few months and will be looking for a home base for the airplane. Let me know how you find the facilities at Oceanside.

John

Same here, Oceanside would be a good base for an RV. I wonder if you could do phase one based at Oceanside and what the map would look like. They started a parachute jumping there recently so watch for jumpers. The marine layer is very prevalent at OKB and CRQ from May - August.

Great first trip! I imagine what I would be reading in three years on your blog. Congratulations Peter keep expanding your travel area you have so many interesting places there in California.

Didn't realize there were so many RV pilots in the area. Hoping to buy a flying 6a sometime soon. Let me know if you guys need someone to fly your birds a little more;)

Back