What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight Systems AirVenture 2013 Announcements

N402RH

Well Known Member
We are introducing a number of new products at Oshkosh so drop by booth 4139 or our RV-10 (in the RV-10 parking area) to see them in person.

New Probe-Based Angle-of-Attack System, based on our popular and proven AOA System (with over two thousand installations). This adds still another option for those wanting the added safety of an Advanced Flight AOA. The new AFS AOA Pro III system utilizes a super bright custom LCD with 26 colored segments giving the pilot superior resolution AOA readout when calibrated to the aircraft. Unlike other systems, our AOA uses separate calibration data for flaps up and down for a more accurate solution.

The system includes a machined aluminum AOA display, AOA CPU module, push buttons, flap switch, wiring harness, Pitot/AOA Probe, 25 ft of tubing and a detailed instruction manual. An optional glare shield mounting bracket and heated probe are also available.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

[thread moved to General Discussion for greater exposure; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
AF-5400T EFIS

We also have the new AF-5400T EFIS in the booth.

The AF-5400T is an AF-5000 touch-screen EFIS that fits in the same mounting cut-out as the AF-3500/4500 EFIS making it extremely easy for those wanting to upgrade. The AF-5400T has a high-resolution 1024 x 768 bright LCD and all of the AF-5000 features - Interactive Check-Lists, Radio Tuning, Remote Audio Panel, Sectionals, IFR Charts, Remote Mode S Transponder and Video Input.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

We also have the new AF-5400T EFIS in the booth.

The AF-5400T is an AF-5000 touch-screen EFIS that fits in the same mounting cut-out as the AF-3500/4500 EFIS making it extremely easy for those wanting to upgrade. The AF-5400T has a high-resolution 1024 x 768 bright LCD and all of the AF-5000 features - Interactive Check-Lists, Radio Tuning, Remote Audio Panel, Sectionals, IFR Charts, Remote Mode S Transponder and Video Input.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Is the "old" 4500 upgradable to the 5400T?

Is it a totally remove and replace with no re-wiring?

Thanks,

AFS RV-10 at Oshkosh

While others are dreaming and planning we have been flying to Oshkosh AirVenture for 14 years in an RV that we built using our Avionics. This year we had an awesome trip in the RV-10 with over 25 knot tail winds most of the way from Portland.

Jeffrey and Kelsey with the RV-10 (Oshkosh 2013). When we started flying to Oshkosh Kelsey was 5 years old, she is now 18 and a Freshman at Oregon State University. Jeffrey is 22 and in charge of Mechanical design and machining at AFS.

Devils Tower in Wyoming

195 Knots ground speed, were trying not to think about the winds for the trip home.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10 800+ Hours

Yes, it is the Dynon probe and there will be a discount if you already have it.

This is one of the Advantages of being part of Dynon...... a lot more to come.

Rob Hickman

options

Rob.
I think we are going to start sending you our build progress so you can plan for us instead of .....literally riveted on bottom wing skin and finished a hour ago and was about to mount AOA and your new solution pops up...
Our Pitot is for sale and AFS has order for new model.

Any changes on effis display model?

Rob
If you have time, can you post pictures of the AoA Pro III system (espec the aluminium display, push buttons and glareshield mount?
John

Rob,

Will be talking with you in the booth later today. Will post up responses to this if you don't see it already before I get back to my PC.

If this is really just a rebadged Dynon probe, using AFS AOA algorithms, do you know if Dynon has done anything with their heated probe's heater and weep hole design to address the two times it has iced up, even with heating on - most notably discussed last Christmas by Jon Mutha Thocker when moisture iced inside the tube farther up than the heating element? I immediately switched out my Dynon probe for a Gretz after that.

Price and availability

What is The target price and when is the expected ship date for any orders that come in from Oshkosh?

I just got home from AirVenture and had a chance to look over the 5400. The screen is very nice and I like the touch screen option on the unit. As it is now I am always touching the screen of my 4500, duh, as I am so used to using the ipad and my iphone!
It will definitely fit in my panel space and the behind the panel part of the unit is considerably smaller then the 4500 unit. This is welcome news.
This unit is a direct response to customers requests, mine included, to provide an update opportunity to existing customers. I am appreciative when a supplier responds to requests in such a positive manner.
I wonder if there will need to be any wiring changes to make the new unit work, or will it be plug and play?

AF-5000 Audio Panel Interface

We now support the new PS-Engineering PAC15ES blind Audio Panel with any of the AF-5000T touch screen EFIS's.

The AF-5400T EFIS has the same wiring and mounting as the AF-3500/4500 EFIS screens.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

We now support the new PS-Engineering PAC15ES blind Audio Panel with any of the AF-5000T touch screen EFIS's.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

This is very exciting to hear, Rob! And for me, probably just in time to re-think the audio panel I will use. I really like the idea of a blind audio panel. I'll be talking more with you when you get back from Osh! :)

New pitot/AOA probe

Rob,

I checked the website and do not see the new probe listed for sale. Can you help. I'm at the point in he wing build where I need to get one soon.
Thanks,

Mark

Back