What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keep your VFR data source(s) up to date

humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm planning an annual trek up the east coast from VA to ME. My standard procedure is to flight plan on the iPad and then fly the route with the Garmin 795 in the airplane.

Like many, I update my VFR GPS "periodically".

I have made this trip several times over the past few years and here is a typical route.

KMFV KVAY SAX KBAF 7B3​

For all of my past trips, this route kept me clear of all the big airspace as well as the alert, restricted, and prohibited airspaces.

So imagine my surprise when I went to plan this year's trip and the current sectionals now have expanded PHL airspace and the corridor is gone.

I have a new route set for this year's flight and a healthy reminder to the importance for keeping (and using) current charts.

Last edited:
And to make matter WORSE....the current publication of the PHL Class bravo, effective today, is INCORRECT!!

This error wont make much difference to you or any other VFR pilot but they drew the southeastern edge of the bravo (near my home airport, 17N) too large. This won't be corrected anytime soon for it is MORE restrictive than intended but I am at a loss on wether or not I should update my Garmin GPS. I would be buying an ERRONEOUS update... Surely they wouldnt give me a free update just to correct this issue would they?

Looks like there is a tiny little notch cut out of the Bravo airspace for your airport. You must have some serious influence !

There is a notch but it was supposed to be a little bigger. The wrong data got published so I'm not sure how they will correct it.

Both Philadelphia's and New York's Class B airspace top out at a relatively low 7000 feet. Why not just climb up to 7500' or 9500' and go directly over the top as necessary and be done with it? You don't even need to talk to them, although it might be a good idea to at least try to call them for advisories.

In my RV-7, I've overtopped both of these Class B airspaces (is that a word?) as well as some having top altitudes of 10,000 feet like Chicago and Atlanta.

I'd go for a VFR route of KMFV direct SBJ direct 7B3 at 9500 or 11500 and proceed on my way.

That work weather permitting or if your home airport isn't UNDERNEATH the bravo.

You will be fine - you are flying with a controller !
When are you guys thinking of coming over ? My wife wants to take a trip on which ever day looks best this weekend.

glenn, just wondering why you dont just fly V1 instead of the one you are using? it would seem to more direct. :confused:

Hi Turbo. I try to stay clear of as much "big air space" as is reasonable.

For those who are curious, here is what the V1 victor airway would look like. Depending on altitude, it penetrates, Atlantic City, goes right over the center of JFK, and cuts across Long Island Mac Arthur airspace.

KMFV SBY ATR LEEAH CYN JFK DPK MAD HFD GRAYM 7B3

Last edited:
Why not CYN to DIXIE, then go up the Hudson River VFR corridor? I've done this many times when I'm not IFR....

Hi Turbo. I try to stay clear of as much "big air space" as is reasonable.

For those who are curious, here is what the V1 victor airway would look like. Depending on altitude, it penetrates, Atlantic City, goes right over the center of JFK, and cuts across Long Island Mac Arthur airspace.

KMFV SBY ATR LEEAH CYN JFK DPK MAD HFD GRAYM 7B3

glen i have been flying this route for many years. atlantic city never seems busy so v1 with no deviations is the norm. nyc above 7,000 is usually a few vectors and on your way, otherwise a class b clearance at 5,500 works well to. if you sound like a 'pro' you will be fine and the view is nice. i hate going out of my way just because of airspace. being 'high' helps. those big airlines are easy to id. v1 is your gateway to the NE. :) the route looks a lot more direct.
2mf3.jpg

Last edited:
looks about right to me. once clear of nyc you are on your way direct. :):) you will be passn by minute man 6b6 for the best fuel price around. must pay cash or check though. ;);)
ljnb.png

I've done the VFR corridor but most of the time, this trip is all about "getting there".

If winds and clouds favor it, I'm up and over it all.

Sounding like a pro helps but for some reason, I can talk to VP's but get tongue tied occasionally with ATC. I need to go to "Tony school".

For some more "home-made" ice cream I will get you VIP clearances direct destination at whatever altitude VFR or IFR!!

Tony - nice offer but the Ice Cream at 53VG is free to visitors ... as long as they give me more than 4 hours notice (otherwise they get "sweetened heavy cream flavored substance")

Point of reference - this morning I was testing FlyQ ESB and it shows its "current sectional" which still has the old PHL airspace. It lists an exp date of 18-Sept-2013

I guess you can't trust some charts.

Last edited:
Back