What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport center console with stock Vans panel

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I could not find a thread on the combination of this setup. I am starting a panel upgrade and with time and cost a concern I didn't want to start completely over with and new Aerosport panel, but wanted the center console, and lower panel. It's not finished, but installed and functional.
If you look at the fuel selector you can see the modified location.
The center console is approximately 1.5" forward from intended, and I had to increase the angle of the lower panel by about 2 degrees. I am happy with the results, but plan to incorporate the stock Vans throttle mounting angle into the lower panel by moving it back about 1/8" for a smoother transition between the two. The Vans throttle mount is 1/4" wider than the Aerosport panel and centers up perfect.

Can't wait to get the new panel started.
:)

Looks great Tim, one thing to keep in mind (holds true for building and mods) is easy access to the tunnel area for maintenance without major disassembly.

Looks great Tim, one thing to keep in mind (holds true for building and mods) is easy access to the tunnel area for maintenance without major disassembly.

As Walt suggests, I highly recommend installing an access panel on the side of the tunnel to make getting to the fuel filter and pump easier.

Another thing quite a few folks do is to cut the original tunnel cover near the fuel valve area. It makes it easier to take the rear tunnel cover off for conditionals.

As Walt suggests, I highly recommend installing an access panel on the side of the tunnel to make getting to the fuel filter and pump easier.

Another thing quite a few folks do is to cut the original tunnel cover near the fuel valve area. It makes it easier to take the rear tunnel cover off for conditionals.

Good advise, 14 screws and all components are removable. I used existing tunnel nut plates so no additional screws. The panel itself will also be removable with the installed non essential indicators and charge stations. I plan to wire everything through either multiply connectors or one large connector. The heater pulls and alt air will move down to the side panels, I'm not sure how far they will move once unbolted but you will be able to gain access to the tunnel.

We have the access panel on the co-pilot side but ended up opening up the tunnel for both annual inspections. We found not enough roam going thru the access hole.
Ron

My plane is growing Carbon fiber!!
Making a little more progress on the panel upgrade.

I don't want the tan on the panel so without adding a third color I am going to try carbon fiber.
I think this is the best route without changing the entire interior color.
BTW the 696 is temporary until the G3X's go in.

That's looking nice, Tim. Are you using the carbon fiber look sticker or some other setup? On the panel itself, are you going to angle the carbon stripes back the other direction? I notice your added carbon is not the same angle as your lower console. I think that'll look good to keep things alternating.

Btw, how's the hangar layout working out?

That's looking nice, Tim. Are you using the carbon fiber look sticker or some other setup? On the panel itself, are you going to angle the carbon stripes back the other direction? I notice your added carbon is not the same angle as your lower console. I think that'll look good to keep things alternating.

Btw, how's the hangar layout working out?

I using a 3M carbon fiber vinyl, that can be heated and stretched if needed, so far it's easy to work with but does scratch.
I ordered a 2 x 4 sheet and can't turn the pattern had a 50% chance of getting it right... oh well? It will look fine once I have the lower panel insert installed I will cover it with the same pattern direction, only the border will be opposite direction.

The hangar layout works perfect no plane movement to get the back one out.

Well, after a few long days I have the lower panel wired and finished.
I am happy with the results, so far I like the carbon fiber the true test will be when the panel goes in.
The next step is the big one I have to take the plane down.

That looks very classy, Tim. Is that a sunglasses compartment? You don't waste any time with the upgrades.

Thanks Jesse, Yes, Its a 3 inch deep Sunglass /pen/ pencil compartment.
Today I was able to get the panel ready with nut plates, Dynon mounting bracket, and covered.

This thread has gone from a console install a full blown panel upgrade, but I think that's pretty normal when working on RV's. If the thread needs to be moved please do.

I will find out this week if I made a bad move or not. I am planning to go to Osh this year and have a friend going with me for his first time, so backing out now would not go well.
I have a avionics shop 10 miles north of us that I have been working with on the last three planes I have owned. A super nice guy that also happens to fly an RV6. He called me three weeks ago, and said my Garmin equipment was shipping and he had an opening if I wanted to get started. He knew my plans, and he is also going to Osh and knows the important of having a flying aircraft, and insured me it wouldn't be a problem.
I also had a family vacation planned for some time now, and would be gone for a week then back for one week to get ready before departing for Osh. My vacation probably worked in the favor of the aviation shop, giving them two weeks without me around.:)
I got the panel as far along as I felt comfortable being able to fly it up the short flight and getting him the best head start possible.
Here is how it looked heading up to the shop.

This is week three and everything should be mounted and start turning things on tomorrow.
Not a lot of time to spare, but if we don't run into any unforeseen problems should have plenty of time.
I still need time to learn the system, and plan to get as many hours flight time as possible.

Last edited:
Panel is complete, No surprise, a few issues.
The new equipment is working, now I am working through issues with the equipment left from the original panel. We'll see.

Complete, everything works, back in my hangar, ready for Osh, Thanks Dynon they pulled through.

I'll look forward to seeing it at Osh. I'll be flying the -10 up nonstop from X35 on Sunday morning.

Back