What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring drilled holes in tight spots

John-G

Well Known Member
After match drilling the F-1204 center channel, deburring the outer portion of the center channel was a snap using the Avery deburring tool. However, that tool is too long for use inside of the center channel. At first the bit was unscrewed from the Avery tool and spun by hand for a few holes but doing 73 holes this way ? my fingers were getting sore just thinking about it! There had to be a better way. After a little brainstorming, hit upon an idea that proved to work great!

The angle drill is a seldom used tool in the drawer and appeared to have the same thread size as the bit on the deburring tool. So simply screwed the deburring bit in the angle drill and went to work easily deburring all the remaining holes in the center channel. It is always satisfying to successfully repurpose a seldom used tool with great results. Have not seen this deburring method for tight spots posted here, so thought I would pass on my good fortune.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O7VAo9JjMQI/Ucct1O15N9I/AAAAAAAAFGo/8Vs9toMYIpE/s1600/DSC04531.JPG

John
www.dogaviation.com
RV-12 empennage and wings completed
Beginning fuselage
Dues paid until late summer

Just be careful using a drill to deburr. It' very easy to over do it.

Hand Turn Only!

Points well taken guys. However, I should have been more explicit ? just as in the photo seen via the accompanying link on the original post, the shaft of the angle drill was just turned by hand ... allowing complete control of the deburring bit to make only one or two revolutions depending on the condition of the hole.

John

Points well taken guys. However, I should have been more explicit ? just as in the photo seen via the accompanying link on the original post, the shaft of the angle drill was just turned by hand ... allowing complete control of the deburring bit to make only one or two revolutions depending on the condition of the hole.

John

By hand. Yeah, that's how I would have my wife do it too.

:) Cheers man, just funnin ya.

I have a hand screwdriver with replaceable bits which has the same hex as the angle head. Makes it a lot easier to turn without wearing out your fingers. Power screwdriver also works but is easier to over do it...

Back