What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shallow spar dent and elongated hole.

tegwilym

Hello,
I have two questions after admitting to mistakes. yeah, is the always feared "replace" or "build on" questions.

I was moving things around on the bench and the spars with ribs attached by clekos fell on the floor (another reason I need to get padding down there) in the basement cement. I found that I had a very shallow dent in the HS-603 spar (out at wingtip end) and tried to straighten it with a bucking bar and gentle hammer taps. The hammer ended up with some marks on it, and still has a slight dent in it. I rubbed with Scotchbright to make sure it's smooth so it looks ok.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=tomtraci&project=2260&category=0&log=172327&row=1
There is a very slight bow in it, maybe 1/32 inch, but this is on the flange part that will be dimpled and riveted to the trailing edge of the skin. Is this something of concern, or just another idiot moment to watch for?
FP17062013A0004G.jpg

While deburring a found a hole that must have missed a little when drilling the skin. This is the rear trailing edge of the HS-706 rib. Use a slightly larger rivet on this or replace rib? I haven't replaced anything yet, but I know I'll have screw ups eventually that will need that.
FP17062013A0004H.jpg

Thanks,

Tom
Renton, WA

Tom, in pic #1 my advice is to clean up the piece with a few more passes with a maroon pad. You're done. A non issue.
Pic #2 re-cleko your part together and redrill for a NAS oops rivet or larger rivet size if required.
Then build on. I hope that's the worst thing to happen during your build.
Regards

Tom, in pic #1 my advice is to clean up the piece with a few more passes with a maroon pad. You're done. A non issue.
Pic #2 re-cleko your part together and redrill for a NAS oops rivet or larger rivet size if required.
Then build on. I hope that's the worst thing to happen during your build.
Regards

Thanks Lorne,
I kind of figured the first oops wasn't anything since it was just the flange and there is no problem with the spar at all.

The hole problem is a #40 hole between the skin and the tip rib way in the corner. I guess if needed a larger blind rivet could go in there too. I'll make note of the hole and keep going!

I've done a few mistakes so far, but have been very small, but still bugged me enough to ask. I've almost completed the drilling and fitting of the horizontal stabilizer so I think I've done well so far! I know there will be a big oops eventually, but just nothing that can't be reasonably worked around yet. :)

Tom
Renton, WA
http://www.mykitlog.com/tomtraci

Wait till your completed rudder which is clamped to the bench breaks free and falls to the floor:eek: Oh my........he said!:D

Yeah, I like that idea better too. The -4 rivet does fit in there snugly, but there is just some space around it. I could see how a -3 fits and gently drill the hole bigger.
Is it safe and reasonable to just enlarge the dimpled hole a tiny bit even if it's already been dimpled? (The skin side that will attach to this elongated hole).

Back