What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ring gear placement

crabandy

Well Known Member
I just want to verify before I safety the prop and spacer on that I've got the ringgear support on correctly.

My finger is pointing to the lug on the crank that has a shoulder on it that is .03 larger diameter. The 0 hole on the flywheel support goes on this oversized lug.
180 degrees to the shoulder lug is a shorter lug that is flush with the ringgear support.
13538BE2-6D01-45F0-A0C9-060E391523D4-8145-000004695C379330_zpsf8b84763.jpg

76D461E1-C505-4985-A97D-9C974D4D4940-8145-00000468E52F2A06_zps8d2fbb20.jpg

I just want to verify before I safety the prop and spacer on that I've got the ringgear support on correctly.

My finger is pointing to the lug on the crank that has a shoulder on it that is .03 larger diameter. The 0 hole on the flywheel support goes on this oversized lug.
180 degrees to the shoulder lug is a shorter lug that is flush with the ringgear support.
13538BE2-6D01-45F0-A0C9-060E391523D4-8145-000004695C379330_zpsf8b84763.jpg

76D461E1-C505-4985-A97D-9C974D4D4940-8145-00000468E52F2A06_zps8d2fbb20.jpg
It will only go on in one position, you can't screw it up.

Thanks, thats what I thought but I did buy the ring gear separate from the engine and wanted to make sure.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, his question seems to have been answered. But while we're on the subject of ring gears, I have two questions for the more knowledgeable folks here.

My engine came with a flywheel that has a smaller diameter pulley for the alternator belt. I've never seen one of these on an RV. Every example I've seen is the larger diameter. This will obviously turn the alternator at a slower RPM than the larger diameter one. Is there a problem with this? Should I consider replacing it? Or am I good to go with this one?

P1050157%20(Small).JPG

My next question has to do with the lugs on the crankshaft hub. My engine is an O-360-A4A. The A4A has longer lugs, and as you can see in this picture, they stick out through the flywheel farther than the ones in the pictures above from crabandy. Is this a problem? I'm wondering if the lugs might need to be replaced.

P1050162%20(Small).JPG

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hi Bruce,

I can?t answer about the alternator pulley but your thread inserts look the same as mine, work fine with my MT CS prop, I don?t know how they might work with other setups.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, his question seems to have been answered. But while we're on the subject of ring gears, I have two questions for the more knowledgeable folks here.

My engine came with a flywheel that has a smaller diameter pulley for the alternator belt. I've never seen one of these on an RV. Every example I've seen is the larger diameter. This will obviously turn the alternator at a slower RPM than the larger diameter one. Is there a problem with this? Should I consider replacing it? Or am I good to go with this one?

P1050157%20(Small).JPG

My next question has to do with the lugs on the crankshaft hub. My engine is an O-360-A4A. The A4A has longer lugs, and as you can see in this picture, they stick out through the flywheel farther than the ones in the pictures above from crabandy. Is this a problem? I'm wondering if the lugs might need to be replaced.

P1050162%20(Small).JPG

Thanks in advance for any comments!

The important thing is that your prop hub matches your flange configuration. The manual that came with my Hartzell prop detailed the acceptable hub-flange combinations.

The smaller diameter ring gear is fine and will work perfectly well with an alternator. Your flywheel was originally used with generators (not alternators) and the generator wasn't designed to be turned as fast as a modern alternator. Make sure your starter and ring gear are designed to operate together as there are two different pitch diameters - count the ring gear teeth.
However, the smaller flywheel pulley won't allow a LSE direct crank trigger to be used (and perhaps not the new mini-trigger either). I prefer the older, smaller diameter flywheel pulley to keep the alternator turning at reasonable speed if a small diameter alternator pulley is used - but there is the LSE issue.

Thank you!

Thank you, ALL, for your comments and answers! Once again, the RV community comes through to help a guy out.

My ring gear is the standard 149-tooth size and configuration (I counted them!) so I'll be content to go with this setup. I hadn't thought about the LSE system, but I'll go with something else. It makes sense to use a smaller pulley on the alternator, too, since it will compensate perfectly that way. Thanks again, guys! :)

Back