What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron brackets flush rivet question

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

The rivet callout for attaching the aileron brackets to the rear spar mention a 426 flush rivet for each bracket, (see photos).

PICT4573.jpg

PICT4574.jpg

I looked and read bur I can't seem to find where it says on what side the flush head goes??

Facing forward or rearward???

Thanks for your help!!!

I assumed the flush head is on the aft side. There does not appear to be any other parts on the inboard side that would need clearance. On the aft side I think the flush rivet is to allow additional clearance for the aileron. The surface of the angle is higher than the other rivets on the reinforcement plate so they are not flush rivets, but when the aileron is rotated down it would have less clearance in the area of the bottom rivet. This is just my guess, but I can't see any reason for putting the flush rivets in the opposite way.

I assumed the flush head is on the aft side. There does not appear to be any other parts on the inboard side that would need clearance. On the aft side I think the flush rivet is to allow additional clearance for the aileron. The surface of the angle is higher than the other rivets on the reinforcement plate so they are not flush rivets, but when the aileron is rotated down it would have less clearance in the area of the bottom rivet. This is just my guess, but I can't see any reason for putting the flush rivets in the opposite way.

Thanks!!
That's what I figured also but I just want to probe the collective brain here and get some sort of confirmation...

I had to fit a flush rivet at this location on my 6 .. (flush side towards the rear) normal rivet would interfere with the aileron when in operation ... was a bugger to get the rivet gun on the head ...

Flush head goes on the bracket side but I was so intrigued by the question that I started searching why. I went back over my construction photos and found the part (ignore the messed up rivet, it got drilled out and replaced)

replacerivet.jpg

I can see why the other flush rivets are there (at least on the center bracket), because the flap gap thingy has to fit right in there. But I'll be darned if I can figure out -- at least by looking at the images -- why that one rivet is a 426.

You've given me a good reason to go out to the hangar and take a look.:D

Thanks Jan & Bob for your advice!!!

That's what I did finally.

PICT4582.jpg

PICT4583.jpg

Thanks to all for your help!!

Last edited:
Question. About the pic below. Per my interpretation of the plans, shouldn't the two rivets on the out board bracket nearest the bearing be flush on the inboard side due to clearing the wwing of the aileron?

Last edited:
Back