What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Targa strip coming loose at one end

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey ? I am having trouble with a two inch section where my fiberglass targa is coming loose from the canopy (pilot?s side, the lower 2? of the targa strip. It is glued on with West Epoxy, and I scuffed the canopy prior to installation. This is the second time the targa has come loose at this same point, and it appears to be holding fine on the rest of the canopy. I?ve looked to see if there was anything physical that was prying it off when I closed the canopy, and so far I can?t find anything.

Wondering if there is a different adhesive that might work better? The only caveat is that is needs to flow freely enough to go in the small crack between the targa and the canopy?.any suggestions?

If I can?t find an adhesive solution, I?ve been tempted to just drill a hole and throw in a screw and be done with it.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

When I did mine, I also interweaved side skirts as well but I also put a few countersunk rivets in on the aft rear corners under a few extra layers of glass.. No issues....

6hrgck.jpg

Could you drill a couple small holes into the canopy underneath the targa, and then epoxy it back together, making sure the epoxy finds its way into those holes?

That would allow the epoxy to grip through the canopy and avoid putting the pressure on the plexiglass that a screw or rivet would give.

The last time this happened, I went to my vet and got a syringe with a long, thin plastic tube on the end and was able pull back the targa enough to get the tube in there and "inject" epoxy between the canopy and the targa.

I could try the same thing again, but my concern is that I've tried this once before and it didn't hold

Back