- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Using Garmin GPS 18x PC with ACK ELT-04

I decided I didn't want to tear my RV8 apart to hook the ELT-04 to my AVMAP GPS serial data out. SO I purchased (Newegg) the Garmin GPS18X PC as suggested in the ACK ELT installation manual. This comes with a voltage converter and RS232C connector. All manuals and software you have to download from Garmin.

The ELT defaults to 9600 Baud whereas the Garmin GPS18X PC defaults to 4800 baud. Baud is the data stream speed on the connecting wire. They have to match. You can either disassemble the ELT and change the jumper from default 9600 to 4800 (to match the GPS) or using Garmin software change the baud rate of the Garmin GPS18xPC from 4800 to 9600 to match the ELT. Still with me?

To change the baud rate of the Garmin GPS You have to go to the Garmin web site and download a program called snsrxcfg_280.exe. This program talks to the GPS and using the instructions in the manual appendix, you can change the baud rate.

You will need a computer with a RS232 Serial port (remember those?) and a twelve volt car plug power port. The only real software gotcha is that nothing seems to work. That's because you have to go into setup, select communication, and then 'Comm1'. Then when you click the 'connect' icon it will cycle down to the baud (speed) that works. It will connect at 4800 baud until you successfully change it. This is a good test to verify you have successfully set the speed (baud rate) to 9600.

After rereading this, I guess it is easier to just move a jumper inside the ELT. But either way, installing the Garmin GPS18xPC is not, shall we say, straight forward. THe GPS 'puck' is magnetic and also has a metric (M3) attach point. I installed my ELT in the wing tip.

Good luck,
Vince Himsl
RV8 N8432 Flying more and fixing less.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post
Unless you are a neurosurgeon, soldering these small wires to the back of the plug is challenging. I simply crimped the wires to gold-plated female DB connector pins (the smaller high-density type used for radios) and slid them snuggly over the solder pins on the back of the ELT mini-din plug & used heat shrink to secure them.
That tip alone is worth a years donation! There was no way I was going to be able to solder those things without it getting ugly. Make that donation today.

VAF Supporter w/ Bank Auto Bill Pay (saves Doug Paypal fees)
http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/
"Simplicate and Add Lightness." design philosophy of Ed Heinemann, Douglas Aircraft
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrynew View Post
That tip alone is worth a years donation! There was no way I was going to be able to solder those things without it getting ugly. Make that donation today.

I was wondering if it would be ok to just cut the connector off and replace it with a basic molex connector?
DFW TX
Dues Paid
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildrgr View Post
I was wondering if it would be ok to just cut the connector off and replace it with a basic molex connector?
That would have been my first choice except that the ELT is new and under warranty.
VAF Supporter w/ Bank Auto Bill Pay (saves Doug Paypal fees)
http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/
"Simplicate and Add Lightness." design philosophy of Ed Heinemann, Douglas Aircraft