What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: How to build a little critter guard

Tumper

Well Known Member
Here is a simple trick that others might be interested in. As spring approaches so do the little flying nesting critters. I have this fear of being attacked by wasp or bees or potentially getting scared to death by a dirt dobber in the cockpit during flight. Maybe there are a lot more entry points, but the place I am most concerned the little critters will enter is the air vents.

I tried to come up with something that would be light, simple and easy to install.

1) Take a piece of lightweight 1 ?? PVC pipe and cut two 1? pieces.

2) Find some screen wire (this was the hardest part of the process since I didn?t want to buy enough to cover an entire screen door). Below is a description and item number of the screen I used from McMaster-Carr.

3) Cut a 2? x 2? square of screen and attach it to the PVC pipe using ProSeal (or silicone would probably work).

4) Wait a week or so for the ProSeal to dry.

5) Trim the edges with metal sheers and sand the outside smooth with your trusty belt sander. By the way the stink from sanding ProSeal will make you think your teenage son just entered the room after a meal of?you get the idea. (dr; you?ll understand this better in a few years)

6) Remove the hose from your vent and insert the newly made vent screen in the line and reattach the hose.

7) Done.

I am going to add this disclaimer; I am still in the building phase so I haven?t actually tested this creation during flight. But if it doesn?t work to your satisfaction it can easily be removed.

screen1scg.jpg

Corrosion-Resistant 304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire Cloth, 15 X 15 Mesh, .010" Wire Diameter, 12" X 12" Sheet. 73% open area, item number - 85385T62 $5.70 @ mcmaster.com

You can also just fold the mesh over the exit of the NACA inlet and install the duct to hold it in place:

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Well, sure, that would be fine for those few folks who don't love working with Proseal any time they have a chance:)

erich

Dean

Thats a great idea for someone who needs to retro fit. I pro-sealed some screen onto my NACA duct and trimmed off the excess before I installed them on my plane. Another 9A builder gave me the tip.

Another angle on the theme

I just cut a circle of heavy screen and two ~1/4" lengths of 1 1/2 PVC pipe. Split the pipe to allow it to spring into the NACA duct. There's almost enough spring to hold, but I added two small drops of CA on each side to make sure.

IMG_5219_zps2efe7b84.jpg
IMG_5218_zpsa68b8a6a.jpg

no fair! them 'er fer model aeroplanes!

Ron, you can't use CA (kuhrayzee glew) on a REAL plane.....says somewhere in the rulez! :)

nice solution!

.............anyone got some nice external plugs for their vents????

You can also just fold the mesh over the exit of the NACA inlet and install the duct to hold it in place:

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Yep! This has worked great for me for more than four "buggy" years in Florida. Suggested by my Tech Counselor, Mike Hilger (of SteinAir fame) back in MN while we were building.

another option

IMG_2003-M.jpg

I cut out the screen, put it in the vent and then put a bead of proseal on the edges to keep it in place.

Back