What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I ignore 8 degree compass mount requirement?

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I’m deep into my panel build and need a second opinion. Garmin G3X is primary with a Dynon D6 backup. The Dynon install manual says the remote compass module (EDC-D10A) must be aligned in pitch within 1 degree of the D-6 in the instrument panel. That means I need to build a mount with an 8 degree tilt to match the panel tilt. My avionics shop said to skip that and just mount the remote compass flat without building an 8 degree bracket to align the tilt. He says it will be accurate enough. I’m sure there are a lot of opinions out there but I’m asking if anyone has any actual experience with skipping the tilt alignment step for the compass module and what (if any) are the effects on accuracy.
Thank you
Bob

Last edited:
Mounting options

Bob,

The requirement for my D-180 are not the same, but a quick glance at the installation manual shows Dynon is adamant about mounting it with the same angle +/- 1 degree with a D-6. Try this for a solution:

I mounted an aluminum angle across the longerons behind the baggage compartment panel. It has an aluminum plate riveted to it about the footprint of the EDC-D10A.

I went to the aviation department of Ace Hardware and got four plastic machine screws and about 12 nuts. Use these to mount the D10A to the plate and with the screws and nuts I can just about set any angle I want on the D10A. One nut holds the screw onto the plate. The other two nuts can be set up or down to "level" the D10A. I used four sets to do this so as to adjust in any plane, but you could get away with two. They are so light it doesn't matter how many you use.

You can use this same method wherever you choose to mount your D10A. Use plastic or brass or even aluminum, just anything non-ferrous.

Don

Mount it like Dynon recommends or you will have accuracy issues. It is well documented here and on the Dynon forums on how critical the alignment for the magnometer is.

Not trying to be negative or anything, but I would also find a different avionics shop. If they are willing to recommend going against Dynon's installation directions, what else are they going to cut corners on?

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to put aluminum spacers under the aft end of the module to level it out, no big deal.

Hi Bob-

I followed Dynon's instructions and nailed it within .05 degrees. Felt real good about it until last week when I went to install my forward deck skin. My panel needed to tilt forward slightly to align with the instrument panel holes. So much for thinking I was within .05 degrees. Maybe this is why your shop suggested to bypass the step. I have no idea what the change is nor do I know what level of instrument accuracy has been lost. My mission is not IFR so I may not spend a lot of time trying to figure out the new angle the Dynon is at since it's now under the skin with limited room to measure.

I am sure you'll get many more opinions, do what you feel best meets the needs of your mission considering how much time and energy you want to invest.

Good luck!

I concur, don't ignore

You can be very creative and make it work. I took a Radio Shack aluminum "project box" and some brass screws, nuts and washers and made a nice mount. Installed it in the tail of my -7, drilled a hole for the wires, partially plugged the hole with a rubber gromet and caulk. Used the screws, washers and nuts as angle adjustment. Works great.

Absolutely not! You must mount it as per the manufacturers instructions. Fire the avionics shop that told you otherwise.

D6 tilt going in

I never did find out if anyone had actually installed the Dynon D-6 magnetometer without matching the panel tilt and if it really makes much difference. In any event, I decided to add the tilt to the Dynon magnetometer. What are a few more hours in the grand scheme of things? Here is a pic of the shelf I built. I’ll add a bracket to tilt the magnetometer tomorrow.
imageynv.jpg

panel1w.jpg

Dayton, of DJM Mfg fame AKA the guy who makes our throttle quadrants, and I were talking the other day and he had a good suggestion on how to do this.

Make your mount with a piano hinge and adjustment screws. Once you install the panel, adjust the mount so the angle of the panel and the remote unit are the same.

I can't speak to Dynon's req'mts, but ...

... GRT has the same requirement, i.e. the magnetometer and the EFIS must be perfectly perpendicular. I called GRT and asked if a really needed to cant the magnetometer 8 degrees to match the panel. They said yes ... so I did the "shim thing." (Wish I had thought of the piano hinge idea.)

Bob, it's pretty easy to do. I'll text you my drawing. If you ask nice enough, I'll make it for ya.

... GRT has the same requirement, i.e. the magnetometer and the EFIS must be perfectly perpendicular. I called GRT and asked if a really needed to cant the magnetometer 8 degrees to match the panel. They said yes ... so I did the "shim thing." (Wish I had thought of the piano hinge idea.)

Quoted from my GRT manual: There is no requirement that the AHRS roll, pitch or yaw axes be parallel to those of its associated display unit.

Am I missing something? It says the AHRS and magnetometer must be aligned, but not with the panel angle of the display

Back