What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Firewall Battery Mount

vansrv8

Well Known Member
Am I going blind from spraying primer :D or is there no plan page that shows the firewall mounted battery and how to do it ?

Battery on firewall

On my plans set it's Drawing 31 left hand side.

Based on my experience and every other -8 driver I've met, consider placing it in the back unless you've got an O-320 and fixed pitch prop. 8's tend to be nose heavy.

Chris

Thanks, but I do not have that page in the preview or full size plans:confused:
Dug out my RV7 preview plans and it is there, states that it's for the 7 and 9.

Does your page state that it's for the 8 ?

Does your page state that it's for the 8 ?

Yes, it is specifically for the -8. My plan set goes back to 1999, so I can't say for sure this is still the case now. Check with Van to see if you may be missing a page. Or check that your dog didn't eat it ;)

Chris

I have one of the first 8 PP kits and it seems that I have been missing quite a few odds and ends...makes it frustrating some days.

Puppy does'nt like paper that much but she promptly stole the AN3 bolt when I dropped it today working on the rudder pedals.

Wonder where it might turn up ?:)

8 battery location

I have built two 8's and would recomend the aft location unless you are really light FW forward.

Pat Stewart

Thanks for the input. I have researched it a lot and the consenus seems to be aft. I have a Aerosport carbeurated 0-360-A1A with Catto 3 blade, Odyessy battery, lightwieght MGL Odyessy panel, and I am 6' 6" and 250 lbs.

My calculations say it should be pretty good with the firewall mount and all the other poop stuffed in the aft fuse. I guess time will tell ..:)

Thanks for the input. I have researched it a lot and the consenus seems to be aft. I have a Aerosport carbeurated 0-360-A1A with Catto 3 blade, Odyessy battery, lightwieght MGL Odyessy panel, and I am 6' 6" and 250 lbs.

My calculations say it should be pretty good with the firewall mount and all the other poop stuffed in the aft fuse. I guess time will tell ..:)

I know a lot of people that have the battery up front in an 8 and are happy with it. Put your battery where you want it! Sorry that my reply, like so many others has nothing to do with the question you asked. I looked at my -1 fuse plans, and the only place I can find the actual forward battery location is in the preview plans on drawing 31.

FWIW, I put my battery in the well of the front baggage compartment.

G

FWIW, I put my battery in the well of the front baggage compartment.

G[/QUOTE]

Guy, do you have a picture that you could share?

Thanks for all the input. I'll call Van's tomorrow and get the drawing # 31 sent.

Paul, I think that we have a mutual friend named Jerry. I believe he gave you a ride in his 8. You may be interested in knowing that Steve (you guys took a builders course together) lives about 2 blocks from me and has started his 7 wings.

Small world..especially by RV :D

Ken, Steve was in to visit a couple of weeks ago, like you say, small world.

Jerry has forgotten more about building airplanes then I'll ever know. I think he could build a dozen to every one I could do, great workmanship to. I,ve been for a ride with him a couple of times and with his (and my) buddy Joe Hine in his 4 a few time as well. All Great guys!

Paul,

Here's my battery in the forward baggage compartment. The master is inside, the starter solenoid is outside, and the cables are super short. The visible fuse near the battery is the battery bus. The main bus and essential bus are behind the panel, visible in the last photo.

256150688_xeQie-M.jpg

256150709_Ggitp-M.jpg

256150739_cvVbJ-M.jpg

Guy, looks great. That looks like it would be a lot easier to access the battery
for what ever reason then having it in the back or under the cowl. I am going with the Catto so I don't think I should have any CG issues with the battery up front.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, I think I might do this as well.

Thanks,
Paul

On my plans set it's Drawing 31 left hand side.

Based on my experience and every other -8 driver I've met, consider placing it in the back unless you've got an O-320 and fixed pitch prop. 8's tend to be nose heavy.

Chris

Chris,

Do you still have DWG 31? It is not available from Van's or I'd order it.

If you do, I will pay for copying and shipping of it. A plan preview size would suit me fine.

Thanks.

The firewall drawings I got were not the best. Most did not agree with the firewall (holes in the wrong places). I ended up using some from one drawing, some from another, and modifying the layout until I got what I thought would work. My opinion is that most builders are going to do things the way they want anyway.

I do not like the white rubber boots for the battery posts, will probably remove and replace with something else. I made a bracket to hold the solenoids instead of attaching them to the firewall, and a small plate to hold the ammeter shunts.

EnginePhoto3_zps42d87b68.jpg

Firewall battery

I wanted an extra air box for rear seat heat so put my battery in the upper left. Still not complete but havn't hit any snags with it so far...

Firewall-1_zps3f64103f.jpg

Battery Foreward...as far as possible

I have an 8 with the exact engine prop set up and have the battery on the firewall. You will have an aft CG even mounted on the firewall. My plane weighs 1040 with a very light panel (Dynon 180,Comm,Xpondr,196 GPS,and intercom) also a light skytec starter. When I carry anyone over about 210 I put ballast in the FWD baggage where others suggest putting the battery. You will find you need to put as much weight in the FWD baggage as possible when traveling with a passenger and bags. I have even considered trading my light starter for a heavy starter. I never did find the drawing while building! Just another data point....hope it helps

Here is another example of a battery install on the RV-8 firewall. I've about decided to go the same route.

The builder (Kevin - can not recall his last name) does excellent work. I saw the airplane a year ago and took this picture, the airplane was very nice inside and out including the paint and polish job he did himself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back