What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 Weekends, 2 Daughters

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
This is part 1 of a 2 part post.

I've had a couple of cool trips recently that I wanted to share with the VAF world.

On January 13th, I got the opportunity to take my oldest daughter, Gianna, for her first ride in my new RV. She hadn't flown with me for about a decade as well. Flying is just not usually her thing.

We decided to go for a short flight to Columbia to meet up with Lars Pedersen, a fellow VAFer and recent builder of an RV-7. Lars was kind enough to drop by and help out a bit with my project a couple of years ago and we've been in touch ever since. We both had our first flights last year within a few months of each other.

DSC01082_zpsd0343e1f.jpg

We didn't get the early start that I usually like to get but it was darned cold in the morning plus Gianna had to get ready. Girls!!

DSC01098_zps9ce9f300.jpg

Columbia (O22) is a nice little airport nestled in the Sierra foothills. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive (assuming no traffic) but only a 35 or so minute flight. You climb east from my home airport, Reid-Hillview (RHV), cross the Diablo range, then cross the San Joaquin Valley until you get to the Sierra Foothills. It's beautiful country.

FILE04812_zps969a1613.jpg

As you get close to Columbia, you cross New Melones Reservoir. Do you have any idea how hard it was climbing out on the wing to get this shot??

DSC01111_zpsba97ff92.jpg

On final. Columbia actually has two runways. One is a grass strip that is sort of visible to the left of this photo. Most elect to land on the paved runway.

DSC01116_zps7b8d0cd7.jpg

The bold aviators at their destination.

DSC01121_zps3c5551e4.jpg

Columbia is about a 10 minute hike down an unpaved trail from the airport. We found that the restaurant we originally thought we'd grab some grub at was torched by an arsonist around January 1st. We ended up at Billy Whiskers Cafe, a short walk away. It's housed in a building that was built in the late 1800's and is currently owned by the family of the second owner (since 1917). Here Lars and Gianna await our food.

DSC01136_zps71099b52.jpg

Columbia is a California state park and a Gold Rush town. There is a lot of evidence of hydraulic mining both in and around town. Here is how they used to get around. It's a bit slower and more smelly than an RV.

DSC01144_zps11803557.jpg

We've had a cold snap out here that has lasted way too many days! Evidently, it got pretty darned cold in the Gold Country. Here Gianna lifts a sheet of 3/4" thick ice that has formed in a sluice box. Behind her is some evidence of hydraulic mining.

DSC01151_zps8f53d44c.jpg

Our two planes finally meet. Lars took about 10 years building his, I took almost 8.

DSC01166_zps93f6740b.jpg

Back at the hangar. We had a great day. Gianna commented that she liked it way better than riding a Boeing. Now that's pretty cool! I don't even have WiFi or peanuts on board!!

Last edited:
2 Weekends, 2 Daughters (continued)

This is part 2 of 2.

So yesterday, I got to take my youngest daughter Jenna flying. This was a belated birthday trip. She turned 12 a couple of weeks ago and all she wanted was some ATV time down at the Oceano Dunes near Pismo Beach. I printed her up an IOU and yesterday, the weather was finally perfect for the trip.

She had a 4 day weekend so she decided to party it up. The night before, she had an over-nighter at one of her friends' house and I would guess she stayed up pretty late judging from her lack of energy the morning of our flight. Needless to say, we got another late start and she didn't allow any pictures of herself during the first part of the trip. She needed some food in her belly first.

DSC01171_zps052839b0.jpg

We made a stop at Los Banos (LSN) for some "cheap" gas. The $1.20 per gallon savings made it a no brainer to make the 19 minute flight out there.

DSC01176_zps1c880d37.jpg

Crossing what I think is the Diablo Range again. I'm honestly not sure how far south this range goes and if it changes names as you go south. Anyway, I'm just fascinated by the topography of our planet as I fly high above it. We get the see places that not many ground based life forms get to see.

DSC01184_zps804c4938.jpg

The dunes are in sight after about a 40 minute flight. We had some pretty good headwinds in this direction. The dunes are that tan part of the picture off the nose. Our destination, Oceano airport (L52).

DSC01191_zps8f0acf05.jpg

The pattern was a bit busy since the weather was so beautiful. I had to do some maneuvering. What a machine! You cruise down at 170 + mph yet fit into a pattern filled with a couple of Citabrias and a Stearman. How cool is that?

You can see the various vehicles on the beach below. I've never done it but it sure looks like a neat place to camp...in a trailer or one of the other types of RVs.

DSC01189_zpsfb56c12f.jpg

Gorgeous!

DSC01217_zpsf1e14da3.jpg

We grabbed a bite and headed on out to the dunes. Unfortunately, since we got such a late start, we only rode one of the two hours we paid for. I wanted to get back before dark. We still had a blast.

DSC01222_zpsddb674c1.jpg

The fun ended way too soon.

DSC01225_zps0aabb862.jpg

Back to the Oceano Airport. A smoothie always puts a smile on Jenna's face.

DSC01227_zps3efd3a1d.jpg

Getting ready for departure.

DSC01260_zps4156d5e6.jpg

We made it back in short order due to tailwinds. Jenna was going to fly us the last 20 or so minutes but she conked out. I guess the day had finally caught up with her. She did get to see the beautiful sunset before Mr. Sandman got a hold of her.

Another great weekend!!! Man, this is what I dreamed about while building this wonderful machine!! We get to experience things that "normal" people don't. This is only the beginning. I still have to get the wife up.

Keep pounding those rivets ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:
Good fun

It is always nice to see dad and the kids enjoying each others company. And I am sure the plan flew better because you daughter put on her make up don't you know.

I have 3 daughters, so combined with my wife I can expect to never be on time to anything.

I bought a male dog so I could have someone on my side! LOL!

Thanks for the write-up Kelly- was great to finally get our planes on the ramp side by side so they could get to know each other... Thanks for filling in a few blanks about our trip.

Next up will be some pix of me with my daughter, who will no doubt make me late :)

Back