What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front and Rear seat upholstery

Do your seats have lumbar supports built in?

• Front seats only

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Rear seats only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • None

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am about to get my front and rear seats upholstered and unfortunately living in Oz, makes it a little difficult to get it done by either Oregon Aero or any of the other US upholsterers without selling the plane first.

I wanted to get an idea (through pictures if possible) if the front and rear seat upholstery that people have decided on so that I can make an informed decision about the layout of the seats.

Does anyone use the lumbar supports? Do you only use them for the front seats, or do you have them for the rear seats also? Do you have a lumbar support "flap" over the lumber supports? Is there another method for attachment?

What would you do differently now that you have them/used them?

Obviously any help would be great, pictures worth a 1000 words...

You can easily get the seats from the U.S.

I know it sounds like it is very difficult, but the RV seat makers like Oregon Aero and Classic Aero make the process a "no brainier". A mate of mine is building a 10 and is well advanced with it, he had no difficulties in having the seats done. He and I both used Classic Aero, and in my case I did not have to do or send them anything. All I did was look at the swatches of seat and carpet material they sent me, have the wife choose the colour scheme (one of my better ideas) and then order over the net. Pay your money, wait a few weeks and "bingo" a FedEx package arrives with your seats, and they will fit perfectly!

Good luck with the project Andrew and get in contact if your ever heading over to Adelaide and I can show you the 8 and my friends 10, he is about 1/2 way through the fibreglass roof.

Cheers

Jim

Sorry to say this, but as far as I know Classic Aero no longer does seats for the 10.

Too bad, as I have them, and love them. The rear set arrangement that they did is superb.

We used Oregon Aero and had them do some custom work. We had the head piece of the stock seats sewn separately to make it look like a two piece backrest. We had the adjustable/removable lumbar pocket added to the front seats as well. There is also a two-part ceramic auto style seat heater in each front seat. For the rear seats we used the 60/40 frame from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool and had them add a cup holder to the center of the rear bench.

100013_zps47e735e8.jpg

10005_zpsbc24bb22.jpg

WP_0100337_zpsd7d78589.jpg

Very nice! Can you share some info on the seat belts? Looks like the front belts aren't using the cabin top attach and the rear ones aren't using the cable brought the baggage bulkhead for te shoulders.

Thanks

Bob

I went to a local upholstery shop and paid $650 for all four seats covered in CLOTH including the rear seat foams. The front foams with lumbar pieces came with kit. Unless you are wanting to win an award or impress someone, save the weight and money. I have 97 hrs in both heat and cold and would not do it any different.

Geoff, do you sell the seat adjuster extensions shown here?

I looked at your web site, and they were not listed.

0_0_a411982cf746979824f4830a9531d7b4_1

Classic Aero seats for an RV-10

We purchased seats from Classic Aero before they decided to stop making them but not before the price nearly doubled...:mad: Not quite as fancy as Marks but then again not much on my plane is!

These pictures are 3 or 4 years old now. The seats still look great albeit a bit dusty from sitting in my office. Unfortunately I cannot say how well they work in a flying airplane :)

hpim2434%20(Large).jpg

hpim2446%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Great info...

Hi All, thanks for the feedback. This is all great information.

So I gather from all of the resonses the consensus is that the lumbar support for the front and rear seating is basically either not required, or is an overkill.

And that the existing seating is fine without any of the supports.

Would that be correct?

Back