What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corkscrewed Spinner

p51dplt

Well Known Member
Does anyone have tips on how to get a good looking and even corkscrew layed out on the spinner? I have been asked to do it by a friend and want it to look good.

Please Help!!!

spinner art

HI,
I made two attempts to get my spinner right. First I went mechanical and jigged up the spinner on an ultra slow turning axle. Had motor reduction unit laying around from another project. Although it seemed like a good idea, after several attempts, I could not get the stripes right. The next attempt was done using the 3m 1/8 tape (see link below). I shot the background base coat of the cream color you see in the photo but not the clear coat. I cut the tape into small squares and applied it to the spinner in the approximate positions where I thought the lines should go. The corkscrew lines in the final result are different widths at different points on the spinner. Once I had the squares where I wanted them, I sequentially removed the squares and wound the tape to the square's previous positions.
I then used green body shop tape and green body shop masking paper to complete the masking.
Hope this helps

IMG_0141_zps4573a25e.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/blackbeard10/IMG_0141_zps4573a25e.jpg

http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/specialty-masking-tapes/3m-vinyl-tape-471-blue-36404.html

K.I.S.S.

Does anyone have tips on how to get a good looking and even corkscrew layed out on the spinner? I have been asked to do it by a friend and want it to look good. Please Help!!!

Brant,
I've always liked the corkscrew spinner ever since the first one I saw on a museum FW-190. All of my model airplanes had one and even the shock cone on the 737's CFM-56 has one.
I tend to keep things pretty simple. I grabbed a roll of electrical tape, set the spinner on an upside-down 5gal drywall bucket and started wrapping. Once satisfied I grabbed my touch-up gun and shot three coats. I waited an hour then peeled off the tape. Not too bad, considering total time expenditure was less than 5 minutes.

Your mileage may vary...

V/R
Smokey

RVX Air-screw...

Last edited:
Sometimes spinner art can be a combination of spinner & prop. I had so much going on with my paint scheme that I chose a single color spinner but also painted & stenciled the prop. Turned out great.
RV-8A-Fresh-Paint%20(1).jpg

Sometimes spinner art can be a combination of spinner & prop. I had so much going on with my paint scheme that I chose a single color spinner but also painted & stenciled the prop. Turned out great.
RV-8A-Fresh-Paint%20(1).jpg

I really like your prop stencils, looks great! The finish is amazing as well, how about a shot of the entire airplane?

Back